5.4 camshaft

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2018, 05:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5.4 camshaft

Hey guys, my motor smoked the camshaft. A roller follower went bad and wasted one lobe on the cam. I'm about to remove the cam and replace the oil pump, tensioners, follower and camshaft.

My question is....
can I have the camshaft polished? Its just rough, not chipped or melted.
or, where is the best place to get a replacement cam? its $250 at Ford or $120 for a aftermarket at Rockauto.
Also, I'm concerned with fitment of a new cam in my 106k mile head.

Last edited by JFranzoo; 09-12-2018 at 05:38 PM. Reason: Picture
Old 09-12-2018, 08:07 PM
glc
Received 760 Likes on 704 Posts
What year is this engine? 2 valve or 3 valve?

Old 09-12-2018, 09:00 PM
Originally Posted by glc
What year is this engine? 2 valve or 3 valve?
2011 3 valve.

Old 09-12-2018, 11:19 PM
glc
2011? What is this in - a Expedition or Navigator?

Old 09-13-2018, 06:19 AM
Originally Posted by glc
2011? What is this in - a Expedition or Navigator?
Expedition

Old 09-30-2018, 07:59 PM
I started reassembly. Progress has been slow. It's so hot in FL I don't want to work in the driveway
Got the new cam andoil pump in. Then I timed the engine, and put the new tensioners on. All that's left is to install the rockers and put the covers on.
I'm hoping that with the upgraded oil pump and tensioners this will get me to 300k

Old 03-16-2019, 01:58 PM
Originally Posted by JFranzoo
I started reassembly. Progress has been slow. It's so hot in FL I don't want to work in the driveway
Got the new cam andoil pump in. Then I timed the engine, and put the new tensioners on. All that's left is to install the rockers and put the covers on.
I'm hoping that with the upgraded oil pump and tensioners this will get me to 300k
Hi, how did this turn out? My cams have some scoring and I was wondering how yours turned out.

Old 03-16-2019, 02:04 PM
Originally Posted by Dave Jackson

Hi, how did this turn out? My cams have some scoring and I was wondering how yours turned out.
Great! I couldn’t be happier. I’m 2 oil changes in and about 6k miles including a trip across the country. Still runs smooth and I know if it happened again I could fix it in a quarter of the time because I have the experience of having done it once already.

Old 03-16-2019, 02:13 PM
Originally Posted by JFranzoo

Great! I couldn’t be happier. I’m 2 oil changes in and about 6k miles including a trip across the country. Still runs smooth and I know if it happened again I could fix it in a quarter of the time because I have the experience of having done it once already.
That’s awesome, congratulations. My cam journals and caps have some scoring I found out when doing my timing job. Im just looking to hear from someone that was in the same situation and how it turned out in the end. I did have to get a used cam in the driver side so I’ll probably use those caps with that cam upon reinstalling which I’m getting close to doing now. I’m using all OEM parts (phasers etc) along with the upgraded Melling M360HV oil pump. In your opinion, should I be concerned? Car sounded great before except for the phaser knocking sound. Thanks for the input.

Old 03-16-2019, 06:59 PM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Did you get a cam from ford or from RockAuto? How long did it take to do the job? Is there anything tht we should know before tackling a job like this one?

Old 03-16-2019, 08:03 PM
My cam caps were fine. The scoring was on one of the follower lobes. If I had to replace the caps I would have probably checked it with plastigage. I would be worried about under the cam. You can’t replace that, that’s the head.
I got my cam from Ford. I think it was a little over $200.

Old 03-16-2019, 08:07 PM
Originally Posted by joe51
Did you get a cam from ford or from RockAuto? How long did it take to do the job? Is there anything tht we should know before tackling a job like this one?
lots of notes in this thread. It took me about 6 weeks working on it nights and weekends. I could probably do it in a weekend now.
all of the followers have to come out to set the timing. I tried to count The teeth the first time and had to do it over.

Old 03-25-2019, 09:44 PM
Two things I wish somebody would've suggested to you in this thread, JFranzoo....

First off, Fram filters are about the worst thing you can do for your engine. They've historically been absolutely horrible, and I've even talked to a friend who traced multiple engine failures to his use of Fram filters.

Second, if you want that engine to make it to 300k, you need to get a cam phaser lockout kit in there ASAP. I don't know why the phasers just slowly destroy themselves, but they love to. Also, if you ever have to replace the phasers themselves, NEVER use Dorman. Motorcraft is the way to go. (but hopefully you'll never get to that point)

Old 03-25-2019, 11:26 PM
glc
Yikes - I didn't see that orange can of death on there! That could possibly be why you smoked the follower.

You shouldn't have to lock the phasers - it should be fine with the latest Motorcraft timing components, with the proper oil and filter, changed at proper intervals.

Quick Reply: 5.4 camshaft