Fuel issue now engine problem?

Old 11-14-2017, 12:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel issue now engine problem?

My '05 FX4 has never had any issues until now. Note it has 98k miles. Two weeks ago it dies on the highway. A couple times it started, got to 500rpm, and then died. Had a new fuel pump put in. It than started fine but I noticed the rpms were a little higher than normal (2200 vs 1800 @ 60). Next morning same issue where it would turn over but wouldn't start. Had it towed back to the same place and they replaced the fuel pump module that was extremely corroded. That fixed that issue but then the check engine light came on for the shop so they ran some tests. Now telling me cylinder one has low compression (50psi) and did a wet test and that didn't help. Now telling me I need to have a valve rebuild or a new engine. Finally, after it sat for four days I went to move it and now I need to put it in 2 not D to get it to move and the shifter seems a little stickier than normal. Any advice as to when is going on would be greatly appreciated. Can't str as enough that this truck has never had any engine issues. Actually have never seen any dash lights light up on it.

Old 11-14-2017, 02:21 PM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
Some of the 05s got bad fuel injectors that leak. A leaking injector on cyl 1 could have washed the oil off the cylinder walls and caused excessive wear in that cylinder. Just speculating here. I think I would have the compression tested again and if it tests the same some expensive rebuilding is in its future. Also check the injectors for leakage.

Old 11-14-2017, 03:46 PM
glc
Received 756 Likes on 702 Posts
If this were mine, I'd cut my losses right now and get rid of the truck.

Search this Thread