Needing some advice

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2017, 11:38 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Needing some advice

Hi guys, been awhile since I’ve posted as my truck had been running really well ( emphasis on “ had” ). 02 Fx4 screw with a 4.6 now has 320k miles. Lost oil pressure on the drive home, checked oil level and and all good. Mechanic recommended a new motor ( 450o0 with install) not in the budget. Bought all the stuff to replace the oil pump and timing related parts. Got it apart and found aluminum shavings had clogged the pickup tube, but also found the thrust washer in the pan. So I’m in need rebuild. My plan is to get the block machined and replace the necessary parts.

I would like to use pistons from the non pi year models to bump the compression and also replace the cams for better torque.

Concerning rods, I see rod lengths of 5.933 ( stock ) and 5.950”. Is this just a function of where the pin is located in the piston or will it actually change the stroke of the motor in a detrimental way?

Also what cams do y’all recommend? Looking for torque gains, over trying to make a gob of horsepower.

Who would be be the best tuner for this without having to do a dunk run? I don’t have anyone close to me that I am aware of. I live in Tyler Texas.

Thanks in advance for the replies and sorry for the length

Last edited by c.frank47; 10-22-2017 at 12:06 PM. Reason: Misspelling
Old 10-23-2017, 05:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Follow up question then, do any of you have a machine shop in the Dallas area that you would recommend to check out and do the machining on my block?