5.0 swap

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2017, 09:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5.0 swap

I know it's been brought up a million times but can't find really anything other than people bashing on the idea, I have a 2004 heritage with the 4.2 and 4r70w behind it and also have a 302 sitting in the garage I built for my ranger but ended up selling the roller to a guy so now I'm tossing around the idea of throwing the 302 in my f150 I know I'll have to beef up the transmission and make motor mounts and exhaust for it but here's the conflicting part, I've read that you can get an adapter for a carburetor to run a tps to tell the trans when to shift etc... and I've also read that the speedometer will work but the tach won't and that's fine I don't care for the tach to work right away. But I also read that none of the gauges will work and I'm ok with that as well I can fabricate an insert and put in a new set of mechanical/electric gauges. But I really don't wanna downgrade to an aod with the clunky shifts I'd rather stick with the 4r70w this won't be a daily driver at this point it will be a weekend fun truck and occasional track truck.

Old 10-10-2017, 09:48 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mustangmike1989
I know it's been brought up a million times but can't find really anything other than people bashing on the idea, I have a 2004 heritage with the 4.2 and 4r70w behind it and also have a 302 sitting in the garage I built for my ranger but ended up selling the roller to a guy so now I'm tossing around the idea of throwing the 302 in my f150 I know I'll have to beef up the transmission and make motor mounts and exhaust for it but here's the conflicting part, I've read that you can get an adapter for a carburetor to run a tps to tell the trans when to shift etc... and I've also read that the speedometer will work but the tach won't and that's fine I don't care for the tach to work right away. But I also read that none of the gauges will work and I'm ok with that as well I can fabricate an insert and put in a new set of mechanical/electric gauges. But I really don't wanna downgrade to an aod with the clunky shifts I'd rather stick with the 4r70w this won't be a daily driver at this point it will be a weekend fun truck and occasional track truck.
We're using an older C4 tranny. its already been beefed up so no worries there. you need the perches out of a V8 truck that bolt to the back of the K member. We're using the early style mounts. I'll post pics. we we're thinking about maybe just drilling a passage in the block for the dipstick tube.