03/04 Cobra Crank in 1997 F-150

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2017, 08:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 03/04 Cobra Crank in 1997 F-150

Motor in my truck was built by VT Engines with help from Mike Troyer who installed it back in the day. I was always told that it had a Cobra crank in it. I have no idea if it is a factory ford unit or made by someone else. A while back I had a MCLeod twin disc clutch installed in the truck by the shop that did the last round of tuning. I never got a build sheet of the motor explaining exactly what parts were used to build it so all I could tell him was what I was told about the crank that was supposed to be in the motor. I just found the paperwork for the clutch and flywheel install and did some research on the clutch part number and this is what I found out. It fits a 03/04 Cobra, Mach 1, and 2001 to 2010 Mustang GT ( 10 Spline ). The reason for all of this is that I need a bigger Procharger crank pulley than what is on there right now so I thought I might want to upgrade the harmonic balancer at the same time. Nobody has anything listed for the truck that I would want to buy so that's when I thought about that Cobra crank and asked them difference between mustang 4.6 and truck 4.6. Nobody I talked to had a clue when it came to that. So when I finally found paperwork on clutch it got me thinking that either the harmonic balancer that came with my truck fits the mustang also or the one on the truck came with the motor. BTW it is a ford balancer but I haven't been under truck to see if I can get the part number off of it without taking it off of truck. I hope it has a mustang part number on it because that will make it so much easier to get a new balancer as mustang parts are everywhere and parts listed for truck are not. ANYONE understand all this mess about clutch fitment and does it mean that motor must have the Cobra crank in it and balancer was also switched out? I just find it hard to believe that clutch and flywheel and balancer would fit both vehicles and nobody listed as being compatable.

Old 08-10-2017, 09:18 PM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
The Cobra/Mach I engines were 32 valve DOHC engines. That's the extent of my knowledge.

Old 08-12-2017, 12:33 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Truck came with 11.5" clutch and now its 11" according to MCLeod. Waiting to call their ford tech on Monday for more info.