Go Back  F150online Forums > Powertrain & Mechanical > V8 Engines
2011 F150 5.0 With 200k Miles >

2011 F150 5.0 With 200k Miles

2011 F150 5.0 With 200k Miles

 
  #31  
Old 07-30-2017, 09:53 AM
Senior Member
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Wilmington,NC
Posts: 4,683
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My guess would be a pinion bearing.
 
  #32  
Old 07-30-2017, 10:53 AM
glc's Avatar
glc
glc is online now
Senior Member
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Joplin MO
Posts: 38,537
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Run this oil no more than 2000 miles. Consider it a flush, kinda. Change it to a 10w-30 Pennzoil yellow bottle. NO additives. Use a quality filter. The Pennzoil yellow bottle has the absolute lowest NOACK which means it can tolerate more heat than any synthetic on the market and not cook off. It will go down to -25C during the winter so cold startup shouldn't be an issue unless you live in Alaska. I'd change the oil again with the same oil at 3000 miles. Most likely, with the cleaning agents in the Pennzoil yellow bottle, the engine will be reasonably clean after that. I'd suggest to continue using it until you get rid of the truck. Remember, no oil additives.
Motorcraft is a quality filter, Walmart should have them. Stay away from Fram.
 
  #33  
Old 07-31-2017, 06:10 AM
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 12
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok so I'm just going to drop and switch the oil today.. What's the best I can put in it considering mileage and engine etc? 10W-30? I live on the Northern US/ Canadian border so it gets -20c and lower sometimes in winter, so I need to keep that in mind too. Thanks
 
  #34  
Old 07-31-2017, 09:35 AM
glc's Avatar
glc
glc is online now
Senior Member
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Joplin MO
Posts: 38,537
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Use the EXACT OIL that Labnerd recommended and what I quoted.........

In the winter, I'd probably use the same oil but in 5W30.
 
  #35  
Old 08-01-2017, 12:22 AM
Patman's Avatar
Global Moderator &
Senior Member

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: DFW
Posts: 20,854
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Roadie View Post
My guess would be a pinion bearing.
Id look at U joints first, pinion second
 
  #36  
Old 08-04-2017, 05:05 AM
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 12
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I dropped the oil and put in the 10W 30 Pennzoil in the yellow bottle. I also had the differential checked out and it's the pinion bearing apparently and maybe the main bearing, so got to save up to get that fixed now.
Does anyone else have an extended cab like this? Have you noticed on the inside of the body by the frame just above the rockers, there are 6 large factory made holes in the outer skin of the bodywork that are covered up by little pieces of black tape? Looks like it was tape put on at the factory..
well, all my tape has peeled off and gone bad, and now all the mud, salt and road crap has gone inside the holes and is now sitting in a void inside the bodywork and there's absolutelyno way to wash it out of there.. What a stupid idea of Ford. My rockers are now rotting out from the inside. Has this happened to anyone else?
 
  #37  
Old 08-04-2017, 05:03 PM
glc's Avatar
glc
glc is online now
Senior Member
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Joplin MO
Posts: 38,537
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just found out that all Pennzoil is in a yellow bottle now. Waiting on Labnerd to specify exactly which oil, there are 6 different ones.

Whichever one you used should be fine for now, just plan on 3000 mile changes to keep it clean.
 
  #38  
Old 08-04-2017, 07:20 PM
Senior Member
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: So. Texas
Posts: 2,055
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah, it slipped thru what little mind I have left that they have changed the packaging. The old yellow bottle is a conventional as labelled. The specs on it says it's a blended base oil.
 
  #39  
Old 11-15-2018, 06:47 PM
Junior Member
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 2
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Parttimeford View Post
Hi everyone, never written on a forum before so sorry if this is not the right section.. Just looking for opinions on a truck I'm looking to buy.
It's a 2011 F150 Ext Cab 4x4 with long bed auto with the 5.0 motor.
The truck is a one owner, seems to have been well and regularly maintained at local Ford dealer here and it has 204,000 miles on it. It's very reasonably priced in my opinion at $4500 runs and drives spot on, has no leaks knocks or bad stuff going on... Just wanted some opinions on whether this would be a decent buy, or how long it would probably last considering mileage? No check engine lights, very minimal rust etc. Needs a good clean and a set of tires but no biggy there. I have an 05 Suburban 5.3 that's still going on like new with 260k miles so this would technically be an upgrade from that... Just.. But it will be a daily driver and $4500 for me is a pretty significant chunk of change since I sold my house, quit my job last year and am living off grid in the woods of Northern US/Canadian border.
Any opinions would be greatly received thanks
I bought my 2013 FX4 with 122000 on it. and it runs like a scalded dog. The maintenance wasnt exactly on point by the previous owner. so far just drive belts and radiator hoses had to be replaced
 
  #40  
Old 11-15-2018, 06:49 PM
Junior Member
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 2
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Parttimeford View Post
Hi everyone, never written on a forum before so sorry if this is not the right section.. Just looking for opinions on a truck I'm looking to buy.
It's a 2011 F150 Ext Cab 4x4 with long bed auto with the 5.0 motor.
The truck is a one owner, seems to have been well and regularly maintained at local Ford dealer here and it has 204,000 miles on it. It's very reasonably priced in my opinion at $4500 runs and drives spot on, has no leaks knocks or bad stuff going on... Just wanted some opinions on whether this would be a decent buy, or how long it would probably last considering mileage? No check engine lights, very minimal rust etc. Needs a good clean and a set of tires but no biggy there. I have an 05 Suburban 5.3 that's still going on like new with 260k miles so this would technically be an upgrade from that... Just.. But it will be a daily driver and $4500 for me is a pretty significant chunk of change since I sold my house, quit my job last year and am living off grid in the woods of Northern US/Canadian border.
Any opinions would be greatly received thanks
Originally Posted by Labnerd View Post
Yeah, it slipped thru what little mind I have left that they have changed the packaging. The old yellow bottle is a conventional as labelled. The specs on it says it's a blended base oil.
I run motorcraft synthetic blend with MC filter. Does it matter? Wich is better?
 
  #41  
Old 11-15-2018, 10:44 PM
glc's Avatar
glc
glc is online now
Senior Member
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Joplin MO
Posts: 38,537
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Chad Potter View Post
I run motorcraft synthetic blend with MC filter. Does it matter? Wich is better?
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
 
  #42  
Old 11-16-2018, 10:05 AM
Technical Article Contributor
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Vernon, NY
Posts: 8,910
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
x2

I run MC filters and MC syn blend on a lot of equipment and on all my vehicles and equipment. (Yes, even my riding lawn mowers).

The price of the oil and the filter, including the quality cannot be beat.
 
 


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: