F150online Forums

F150online Forums (https://www.f150online.com/forums/)
-   V8 Engines (https://www.f150online.com/forums/v8-engines-24/)
-   -   2011 F150 5.0 With 200k Miles (https://www.f150online.com/forums/v8-engines/514871-2011-f150-5-0-200k-miles.html)

Roadie 07-30-2017 09:53 AM

My guess would be a pinion bearing.

glc 07-30-2017 10:53 AM

Run this oil no more than 2000 miles. Consider it a flush, kinda. Change it to a 10w-30 Pennzoil yellow bottle. NO additives. Use a quality filter. The Pennzoil yellow bottle has the absolute lowest NOACK which means it can tolerate more heat than any synthetic on the market and not cook off. It will go down to -25C during the winter so cold startup shouldn't be an issue unless you live in Alaska. I'd change the oil again with the same oil at 3000 miles. Most likely, with the cleaning agents in the Pennzoil yellow bottle, the engine will be reasonably clean after that. I'd suggest to continue using it until you get rid of the truck. Remember, no oil additives.
Motorcraft is a quality filter, Walmart should have them. Stay away from Fram.

Parttimeford 07-31-2017 06:10 AM

Ok so I'm just going to drop and switch the oil today.. What's the best I can put in it considering mileage and engine etc? 10W-30? I live on the Northern US/ Canadian border so it gets -20c and lower sometimes in winter, so I need to keep that in mind too. Thanks

glc 07-31-2017 09:35 AM

Use the EXACT OIL that Labnerd recommended and what I quoted.........

In the winter, I'd probably use the same oil but in 5W30.

Patman 08-01-2017 12:22 AM

Originally Posted by Roadie (Post 5221318)
My guess would be a pinion bearing.

Id look at U joints first, pinion second

Parttimeford 08-04-2017 05:05 AM

I dropped the oil and put in the 10W 30 Pennzoil in the yellow bottle. I also had the differential checked out and it's the pinion bearing apparently and maybe the main bearing, so got to save up to get that fixed now.
Does anyone else have an extended cab like this? Have you noticed on the inside of the body by the frame just above the rockers, there are 6 large factory made holes in the outer skin of the bodywork that are covered up by little pieces of black tape? Looks like it was tape put on at the factory..
well, all my tape has peeled off and gone bad, and now all the mud, salt and road crap has gone inside the holes and is now sitting in a void inside the bodywork and there's absolutelyno way to wash it out of there.. What a stupid idea of Ford. My rockers are now rotting out from the inside. Has this happened to anyone else?

glc 08-04-2017 05:03 PM

I just found out that all Pennzoil is in a yellow bottle now. Waiting on Labnerd to specify exactly which oil, there are 6 different ones.

Whichever one you used should be fine for now, just plan on 3000 mile changes to keep it clean.

Labnerd 08-04-2017 07:20 PM

Yeah, it slipped thru what little mind I have left that they have changed the packaging. The old yellow bottle is a conventional as labelled. The specs on it says it's a blended base oil.
https://i5.walmartimages.com/asr/524...0&odnBg=FFFFFF

Chad Potter 11-15-2018 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by Parttimeford (Post 5221042)
Hi everyone, never written on a forum before so sorry if this is not the right section.. Just looking for opinions on a truck I'm looking to buy.
It's a 2011 F150 Ext Cab 4x4 with long bed auto with the 5.0 motor.
The truck is a one owner, seems to have been well and regularly maintained at local Ford dealer here and it has 204,000 miles on it. It's very reasonably priced in my opinion at $4500 runs and drives spot on, has no leaks knocks or bad stuff going on... Just wanted some opinions on whether this would be a decent buy, or how long it would probably last considering mileage? No check engine lights, very minimal rust etc. Needs a good clean and a set of tires but no biggy there. I have an 05 Suburban 5.3 that's still going on like new with 260k miles so this would technically be an upgrade from that... Just.. But it will be a daily driver and $4500 for me is a pretty significant chunk of change since I sold my house, quit my job last year and am living off grid in the woods of Northern US/Canadian border.
Any opinions would be greatly received thanks

I bought my 2013 FX4 with 122000 on it. and it runs like a scalded dog. The maintenance wasnt exactly on point by the previous owner. so far just drive belts and radiator hoses had to be replaced

Chad Potter 11-15-2018 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by Parttimeford (Post 5221042)
Hi everyone, never written on a forum before so sorry if this is not the right section.. Just looking for opinions on a truck I'm looking to buy.
It's a 2011 F150 Ext Cab 4x4 with long bed auto with the 5.0 motor.
The truck is a one owner, seems to have been well and regularly maintained at local Ford dealer here and it has 204,000 miles on it. It's very reasonably priced in my opinion at $4500 runs and drives spot on, has no leaks knocks or bad stuff going on... Just wanted some opinions on whether this would be a decent buy, or how long it would probably last considering mileage? No check engine lights, very minimal rust etc. Needs a good clean and a set of tires but no biggy there. I have an 05 Suburban 5.3 that's still going on like new with 260k miles so this would technically be an upgrade from that... Just.. But it will be a daily driver and $4500 for me is a pretty significant chunk of change since I sold my house, quit my job last year and am living off grid in the woods of Northern US/Canadian border.
Any opinions would be greatly received thanks

Originally Posted by Labnerd (Post 5221521)
Yeah, it slipped thru what little mind I have left that they have changed the packaging. The old yellow bottle is a conventional as labelled. The specs on it says it's a blended base oil.
https://i5.walmartimages.com/asr/524...0&odnBg=FFFFFF

I run motorcraft synthetic blend with MC filter. Does it matter? Wich is better?

glc 11-15-2018 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by Chad Potter (Post 5243561)
I run motorcraft synthetic blend with MC filter. Does it matter? Wich is better?

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

ManualF150 11-16-2018 10:05 AM

x2

I run MC filters and MC syn blend on a lot of equipment and on all my vehicles and equipment. (Yes, even my riding lawn mowers).

The price of the oil and the filter, including the quality cannot be beat.