2010 5.4 f150

Old 07-09-2017, 08:50 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 5.4 f150

Hey i got a 2010 ford f150 with the 5.4l v8 and i have a problem. Every time i hit the gas hard. My truck bassicly feels like the transmission cant keep up with the gas input and it stutters. And the odd time my check engind light comes on and i loss all power for 10 minutes tgen get it back. Just wondering if anyone knows what is wrong.

Old 07-09-2017, 09:13 AM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
Codes?

Probably an ignition problem causing the shuddering. Cops, connections, plugs maybe.

Old 09-11-2017, 12:49 PM
Originally Posted by Ryantja
Hey i got a 2010 ford f150 with the 5.4l v8 and i have a problem. Every time i hit the gas hard. My truck bassicly feels like the transmission cant keep up with the gas input and it stutters. And the odd time my check engind light comes on and i loss all power for 10 minutes tgen get it back. Just wondering if anyone knows what is wrong.
Hate to be the bearer of bad news. I'm experiencing the same problem with my 2010 F150 Lariat that has 100K on it. After going back to the Ford dealership a few times, they inform me that the engine is on its way out. I've checked out scrap yards and they are wanting $2500 for an engine with a lot more mileage and 22 hours to install. I'm not impressed at all with these Fords. My truck is mint otherwise. Maybe its time to burn it and collect the insurance money as little as that may be. Ford never bothered to fix their issues with the 5.4L. Look for error codes P0022, P0012 and P0016

Last edited by petnic; 09-11-2017 at 12:51 PM.
Old 09-11-2017, 05:58 PM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
Originally Posted by petnic
Hate to be the bearer of bad news. I'm experiencing the same problem with my 2010 F150 Lariat that has 100K on it. After going back to the Ford dealership a few times, they inform me that the engine is on its way out. I've checked out scrap yards and they are wanting $2500 for an engine with a lot more mileage and 22 hours to install. I'm not impressed at all with these Fords. My truck is mint otherwise. Maybe its time to burn it and collect the insurance money as little as that may be. Ford never bothered to fix their issues with the 5.4L. Look for error codes P0022, P0012 and P0016
What did the dealer diagnose specifically? If they talked in generalities, I would be suspicious. The codes suggest replacement of the VCT solenoids as I read them. Google the codes and read. Doesn't appear tme that a new engine is needed yet but maybe. is the engine noisy?

Old 09-11-2017, 09:15 PM
Yes. The truck makes the dreaded ticking noise. It seems to me that the noise was always there, from the first day I got it from the factory. The dealership wasn't specific in their diagnosis. They figure the cam is shot. I wasn't in the mood to spend hundreds of dollars to properly diagnose it. Apparently it's a big deal just to pull the valve covers off. I haven't given up yet. I'm going to try a thicker oil (synthetic) and see if curbs the problem. The dealer also recommended a private guy here locally that has bandaid solutions to fixing this. I'll give him a call if the thicker synthetic oil doesn't work.

Old 09-13-2017, 09:57 AM
Originally Posted by Roadie
What did the dealer diagnose specifically? If they talked in generalities, I would be suspicious. The codes suggest replacement of the VCT solenoids as I read them. Google the codes and read. Doesn't appear tme that a new engine is needed yet but maybe. is the engine noisy?

Further to my previous comments, The one and only Ford dealer in town put me on to someone that has a band-aid fix to my problem. After meeting with him, he too suspects the problem is simply a VCT issue. It was suggested that we start with doing a solenoid upgrade. A couple of hours to fix plus the cost of the Solenoids. If this doesn't work, we would do a complete upgrade, cam phasers and all. It will be a permanent fix and the engine will be better than new. It sure beats paying over $2K for a used engine with higher mileage plus labour to install...and you can potentially have a similar problem with that engine as well.

I'm not impressed with the local dealer. It seemed to me that they didn't want to do the work and were pretty quick to suggest buying a new motor.

Search this Thread