Engine Replacement for 5.4 3V- What else to replace ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2017, 12:12 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine Replacement for 5.4 3V- What else to replace ?

Hi guys, thanks in advance for everyone's amazing knowledge and input. This site is such a powerful tool and happy to be a part of it!.

I just bought a 2004 F150 super crew fx4 with the 5.4 3V motor (lucky me) with 155k and it looks like I was scammed by the seller because the ford dealer is saying my motor is shot. Paid $4200, it ran well at the time and all I could hear was an exhaust leak but when that was fixed there was a clear knocking sound and considerable lack of power. They're saying coolant is getting dumped into the engine and the intake and exhaust manifolds are suppsevely no good either. Took it to a local guy and he seemed to agree, with the addition of a timing chain being shot also.

So long story short, I found a used engine with 76k miles and a 3 year parts warranty for $2200 from a reputable company and I'm going to have a local shop install it for a grand. I would have loved to have a shop supply the engine instead and offer a warranty, but the prices I'm getting are ridiculous and have twice the mileage. 5k to install a used motor with 140k or 7k to install a reman!

After reading countless threads on here, I now know that these engines have some serious engineering flaws and are prone for failure, especially the timing chain guides if the wrong oil and filter are used,oil pump (aluminum bracket flexing causing loss of oil pressure) the famous cam phaser tick, plugs breaking off, etc.

I'm really tight on funds after getting screwed on this purchase, but I want to make sure I address as many of these issues as feasibly possible since I'll already have the engine out. Does anyone have any suggestions for what to replace while the engine is out ?

From what I gathered from the forum, Im considering to replace the following:

--- timing chains, guides - should I go for the complete kit with the tensioners, phasers, rocker arms, etc? How much of an extra cost is all that and is it necessary on a 76k motor ?
--- rear main seal - sorry if this is a dumb question, but is there a front seal too?
--- water pump and I'm considering an oil pump with cast iron or steel backing. Is it worth doing that? I heard it could cause considerable oil pressure loss with the stock aluminum one
--- valve cover gasket
--- freeze plugs
--- fuel filter
--- is it easy enough and recommended to install an oil pressure gauge?

I'm hesitant to mess with the whole cam phaser job but not oppposed to it if that can be done for a reasonable price and is highly recommended. Is it really that hard to do this if you're already doing the timing chain? If anyone has any kits, or part numbers of recommended parts that would be a great help too. I was looking at a few kits by Cloyes that were recommended on here. Thanks again guys
Dru

Old 06-03-2017, 07:46 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DruLat
Hi guys, thanks in advance for everyone's amazing knowledge and input. This site is such a powerful tool and happy to be a part of it!.

I just bought a 2004 F150 super crew fx4 with the 5.4 3V motor (lucky me) with 155k and it looks like I was scammed by the seller because the ford dealer is saying my motor is shot. Paid $4200, it ran well at the time and all I could hear was an exhaust leak but when that was fixed there was a clear knocking sound and considerable lack of power. They're saying coolant is getting dumped into the engine and the intake and exhaust manifolds are suppsevely no good either. Took it to a local guy and he seemed to agree, with the addition of a timing chain being shot also.

So long story short, I found a used engine with 76k miles and a 3 year parts warranty for $2200 from a reputable company and I'm going to have a local shop install it for a grand. I would have loved to have a shop supply the engine instead and offer a warranty, but the prices I'm getting are ridiculous and have twice the mileage. 5k to install a used motor with 140k or 7k to install a reman!

After reading countless threads on here, I now know that these engines have some serious engineering flaws and are prone for failure, especially the timing chain guides if the wrong oil and filter are used,oil pump (aluminum bracket flexing causing loss of oil pressure) the famous cam phaser tick, plugs breaking off, etc.

I'm really tight on funds after getting screwed on this purchase, but I want to make sure I address as many of these issues as feasibly possible since I'll already have the engine out. Does anyone have any suggestions for what to replace while the engine is out ?

From what I gathered from the forum, Im considering to replace the following:

--- timing chains, guides - should I go for the complete kit with the tensioners, phasers, rocker arms, etc? How much of an extra cost is all that and is it necessary on a 76k motor ?
--- rear main seal - sorry if this is a dumb question, but is there a front seal too?
--- water pump and I'm considering an oil pump with cast iron or steel backing. Is it worth doing that? I heard it could cause considerable oil pressure loss with the stock aluminum one
--- valve cover gasket
--- freeze plugs
--- fuel filter
--- is it easy enough and recommended to install an oil pressure gauge?

I'm hesitant to mess with the whole cam phaser job but not oppposed to it if that can be done for a reasonable price and is highly recommended. Is it really that hard to do this if you're already doing the timing chain? If anyone has any kits, or part numbers of recommended parts that would be a great help too. I was looking at a few kits by Cloyes that were recommended on here. Thanks again guys
Dru
Dru,
Sorry to hear of your situation...If it were me...I would do the whole thing, timing chains tensioners, phasers with upgraded oil pump, exhaust manifolds and water pump...etc. Then you "know what you got" and you've protected your investment of the rest of the truck.

When swapping out the engine....these things are much easier done with engine out, then trying to do them on a engine that is in the truck. They can do all these repairs prior to installing it on the replacement engine.

SO look at it this way..... you'll have $4200 into the truck when you bought, right. AND then maybe another $3200-4000 added to get the engine work done . Worse case you'll have $8200 into it . Look at the truck market, can you buy the same truck ( or as close as you can get) with all that engine work already done with similar miles and spend less?? Unless yours is rusting out or has other issues. I feel like your still ahead or equal to the market value. Don't forget about the warranty and its value.

Old 06-03-2017, 10:12 AM
Thanks for the input, that's kind of my reasoning as well. Truck is in great shape otherwise and I can't really find anything on the market that's similar even in the 8k range. Only thing is I would have to spend nearly double in order to have a warranty on the whole thing and wouldn't have a low mileage engine. It's quite a gamble but I just dont have 5-6k to dump in this truck right now. At least there's the warranty on the engine itself, but I'd be out the labor cost If there was something wrong.

Anyone know of any good priced and quality kits ?

Old 06-03-2017, 12:38 PM
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
If I read your post correctly, you're going to take an engine with 70,000 miles on it and do some work to it and have it installed in your truck. Estimated cost 8 grand or less. I think you're over thinking this. You can buy a Jasper LONG block, heads and all that comes with a 3 year warranty for about $4500.00. All you would need is the intake that you say is bad on the old engine and you'd be set with a virtually new engine with a 3 year warranty. Your money, your truck.

Old 06-03-2017, 10:23 PM
I'm hoping to keep this project under 4K- engine - $2200, basic install- $1,000 , and the extras that I mentioned hoping to keep under a grand. A rebuilt motor would be minimum 6k installed, and I'd still have to get the intake and exhaust manifolds. I'd love to go that route and have a brand new motor but I just don't have that kind of dough right now.

Old 06-04-2017, 01:37 PM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
I wouldn't do anything to that used engine until it was installed and checked out. It might sound like a diesel because of the cam crap. If it is quiet and checks out, then spend the money needed as needed to keep it running right and quiet.

First choice in my opinion is to buy a reman. The used engine may have a warranty but the install labor is not included.

Old 06-04-2017, 02:07 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I do understand that money is tight, but to me the math on an used engine doesn't work out. If you replace the problem prone parts on a $2200 80,000 mile engine, you will be at/over the $3300 you can use to buy an AER rebuilt 3V with a 3year/36,000 mile warranty. They come with gaskets, exhaust manifold studs, and new spark plugs. AER is the builder of Motorcraft rebuilt engines. The Motorcraft engine warranty is better, because the warranty $/hr is dealer rate, where the AER is $65/hr. List on a Motorcraft 5.4 is $5400. BTW my engine was replaced at 117,000 miles. Makes me wonder how much life is left at 80,000 miles, but some people get a lot of miles out of their original 5.4's.

As far as non internal parts I'd replace the starter and spark plugs and boots. Inspect the exhaust manifolds as they are prone to rust and cracking. The exhaust manifold studs are also prone to failure.

Old 06-04-2017, 02:17 PM
Thanks guys. I'll look deeper into the remans. Do you have a link for the AER motor ? I'll be well over 7k by the time I get the reman with labor and new exhaust/intake manifolds.
Maybe I should just get the used one installed and try and sell it and get a truck that's not prone for failure .

Old 06-04-2017, 02:44 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Roadie
I wouldn't do anything to that used engine until it was installed and checked out. It might sound like a diesel because of the cam crap. If it is quiet and checks out, then spend the money needed as needed to keep it running right and quiet.

First choice in my opinion is to buy a reman. The used engine may have a warranty but the install labor is not included.
Yes...good point. I guess I presumed that the OP would hear it run ( the used engine), prior to removal from it home. Then again it might be already on a shelf.?

Old 06-04-2017, 02:56 PM
I was told they run the engine at operating temperatures and compressions tests prior to removal. The warranty they're offering (3 yr unlimited miles) is by far better then any other ones out there, they say because they do extensive testing. But at the end of the day, I guess it's just their word . I did do a vin check to verify the mileage

Old 06-04-2017, 06:31 PM
The salvage yards I've dealt with in the past won't give refunds. They just give you another part. And valve train noise may be one of those things that they will say that all of those engines make. You could possibly get a used engine that lasts another 200k miles. It's just hard to know.

Old 06-04-2017, 11:04 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
I think I'd look at 2008.5 and newer 5.4 3v if I was shopping for a used engine, then you can get the updated plugs/heads out of the deal

I can't remember if the 2008.5 refresh also got updated phasers or not.....

Old 06-05-2017, 10:03 AM
Originally Posted by DruLat
Thanks guys. I'll look deeper into the remans. Do you have a link for the AER motor ? I'll be well over 7k by the time I get the reman with labor and new exhaust/intake manifolds.
Maybe I should just get the used one installed and try and sell it and get a truck that's not prone for failure .
I went to AER's web site and it appeared that they cater to dealers only but I didn't call and ask.

http://www.aersales.com/aer-sales-today/

Old 06-05-2017, 12:47 PM
Thanks guys. Would the 2008.5 model be compatible with the 04 or would that require extra part swapping? Does anyone know if the wiring harnesses would still connect ? Sorry if that's a dumb question, I know I ran into that issues once when I replaced an engine many years ago and tried to use a newer model. Thanks again for all the help and input

Old 06-05-2017, 10:24 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Roadie
I went to AER's web site and it appeared that they cater to dealers only but I didn't call and ask.

http://www.aersales.com/aer-sales-today/
That's correct. They sell to distributers. I bought my engine through Eagle Engine Sales.