2005 5.4 - Cylinder 2 misfire issue - Long Post -

Old 02-16-2017, 09:45 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 5.4 - Cylinder 2 misfire issue - Long Post -

Good afternoon/morning people of the F150 forums,

First of all I would like to say thank you to everyone thatcontributes to these forums as they have been helping me out a good deal thismonth or two with the issues that I have been having with my 2005 5.4l with185k on it. This past week the truck is been giving me an issue that I can notseem to figure out, so I thought I would come on here and see if anyone elsehad similar issue with their truck, and I would to thank anyone who takes thetime out to read this and contribute if they have anything to add.

So the issues starting happening about a month in a half agowhen I was leaving a jobsite and I got about a mile down the road and came to astop when the truck started to shake a bit, rpm gauge was bobbing up and down alittle, and I went to take off and had a major loss of power and it eventuallystalled out about 500 feet down the road along with a flashing CEL. At thispoint I was able to start it back up, turn around and slowly wheel back to thejobsite where it got parked at night. The next day put a code reader on it andit had multiple codes as well as every cylinder on the driver side misfiring.My dad had took a look at the first batch of codes and seen something about thecam and something else. I know that we replaced the cam position sensor and twoother sensors that I cannot remember to save to my life right now. Anyway wetried that and that did not do the trick and it was still running like crap,but it would actually stay idling very rough, and not die out like it wouldyesterday. Now at this point it was throwing the exact codes from this post ona different website
https://www.fordf150.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7448.
It took me awhile to find that post searching all over the internet, and ultimatelyit was a VVT solenoid that needed to be changed and it made the problem go awayup until now, minus needing a alternator three weeks ago that went out. Also Ishould add that all the plugs and injectors were changed out 2 and a half yearsago because of a different problem that left me broke down, and has beenreliable up until a month and a half ago

Now here this week is where I am being left stumped and notknowing what to do. I am by no means a mechanic and I know that I am from that,but I do like to do things myself if I can, and forums like these allow me todo that. Anyway, last Friday everything was good until later in the eveningwhen I went to take off from my house after driving all day with no issues. Assoon as I started the truck I noticed a rough idle feeling again and seen the rpmgauge bobbing up and down a little bit and knew something was up. I went andgrabbed the scanner and drove around the block waiting for something to happen.Sure enough I felt it cut out with a loss a power and the CEL came on, cylinder2 misfire. Driving back home it was very rough at low RPMs and if you set thecruise it vibrate\buck\ feel like you were driving on tiny speed bumps thewhole time until you let off the gas, then it would smooth out until coming toa stop where the idle would be rough/weak. My first thought was its gotta bethe VVT solenoid since its having similar issues to last months issue, and it’son the opposite side of the issues last month. I drove about 35ish miles beforegetting that part on it was rough idle at stops, chugging like feeling whiledriving at steady speeds, not full power while accelerating, and a the CELcoming on and off always for cylinder 2. I got around to swapping that part andit made a 50/50 difference it seemed like. Sometimes it was rough, then it feltlike it would kick itself in the butt and it was fine. I drove for maybe 10miles or so and thought it probably was the coil. I put a new coil on and tookit for a 10 mile test drive on slow roads, as well as the highway andeverything was great and no more check engine light! Came home and let it idlein the driveway smoothly for a few minutes before shutting it off and changingthe oil. I got around the changing the oil and when I went to move it out ofthe drive way the issue was back again... The next day I did some research andwent ahead and cleaned the MAF as well as taking the throttle body off andgiving it a proper cleaning, there was a good amount of black grime built up soI figured that was causing an issue. Also ran seafoam through and then filledup with premium for the heck of it. Got it back on and the issue of rough idleat stops, chugging\vibration like feeling while driving at steady speeds, notfull power while accelerating was still present. At this point I had to let itbe because I was/am in the process of moving out and had lots of stuff to haul.While driving the CEL was not on until probably 50 miles of driving, then itcame on and it was cylinder 2 of course still. That day I put on close to 200miles with cylinder 2 misfiring the whole day, driving back and forth. Thetruck never once stalled on me, and has yet to stall on me. The past morning onstart up in threw a new code of the bank 2 being too lean, that made me thinkit could be a failing injector. I swapped the injector with a new one, as wellas changing the plug with new Motorcraft. Started it up and I believe it was alittle bit better, but still the same old problem persist. I drove back homeand at first it seemed like the rough idle was still, but when I was up tospeed it was smoothed out for a short period of time, I am not sure if that wasentirely the case though.

Now this is the last part of this novel, but it gets weird.I was sitting at a stop light and something told me to put it neutral and revit to the moon for the heck of it for a second or two. I’m assuming that’s not great for it but itand when the RPMs came back down it was idling smooth as it ever as… I took offfrom the stop light and it was driving perfect. I drove around for a little bitand it was like nothing ever happened. Now this morning I started it up and itseemed to be just fine, I went inside for 5 minutes and came back out to itidling rough again. On the way to work it was having the rough idle at stops,chugging\vibration like feeling while driving at steady speeds, not full powerwhile accelerating issues again and I decided to put it in neutral and rev itup again to 5k. Behold when it came back down it was smooth and all great againfor a few minutes. I hit a few stop lights and everything was great. Then atthe next one, once the RPMs came down from driving, it went rough again. I didthe revving up thing a few times during the commute and had the exact sameresults every time. This is where I am stuck at now and not sure how to moveforward with this issue. CEL is always cylinder 2 and nothing else. Revving itto the moon for a second or two seems to make it do something and run good for awhile.

If anyone has had this issue or knows of someone, oranything about this incredibly weird thing going on, I appreciate allsuggestions and anyone that took the time to read that abnormally long post.

Last edited by Brandxn; 02-16-2017 at 10:32 AM.
Old 02-16-2017, 10:01 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
I'm having trouble reading your post so you may have included this, but I would check the fuel injector. It could be leaking into the cylinder.

Old 02-16-2017, 10:27 AM
Yes I am sorry about that, it did not copy over very well from Microsoft word.. I appreciate the reply nontheless though. I am learning that it could be because I did not go with OEM injectors, or OEM for the other components either. The injector that I put in last night was whatever brand from advanced auto (DWD, BWB, something WD).

Old 02-16-2017, 10:37 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Try moving the injector to another cylinder, see if the problem follows. Might do the same with the coil if you have not done that. We have found that it is usually best to use Motorcraft parts, especially with sparkplugs.

Old 02-17-2017, 11:33 PM
Definitely the coil. Had this happen to me twice and thought it was the plug. Don't get the cheap coils though because they will not last and you will have this issue again. DG511 coil is the part number for the coil and OTC TOOLS 6918 for spark plug removal kit in case your plugs break off. Hope this helps

Old 02-18-2017, 10:03 AM
glc
Received 756 Likes on 702 Posts
Lisle 65600 is cheaper than the OTC.

Search this Thread