Blew out oil. Drivers side

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2017, 06:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Blew out oil. Drivers side

Hey guys new to the forum.
2004 5.4 3v 145,000
​​​​Last night I smelt burning oil. Checked under hood, oil had been splattered on the driver's side of the engine bay, up and down the dipstick tube, driver's side valve cover, and steering column.
Pulled dipstick out after turning the
​​​truck off and sounded like pressure being released from the dipstick tube.
Pulled hose off Pcv and there was a small amount of milky stuff inside the Pcv.
I have read on here about a couple guys who had whistle sounds coming from the bay due to excessive pressure. I have had what sounded like a turbo whistle maybe once every couple days (only last a few seconds).
Also small amount of milky stuff on Oil filler cap.

Any suggestions/ideas/input would be much appreciated!!

Old 01-06-2017, 10:14 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The alternator has been known to make a similar noise, that maybe is hinting that it bearings are showing it age. or it can be from a slight vacuum leak maybe change the PCV and the seal in the valve cover

as far as the milky stuff, it is pretty common during the winter months & can be combated by driving further to allow complete operational temp. A Little is normal, a lot is not.

Are you sure it is engine oil that was on the drivers side or a power steering fluid??...either case figure out where its coming from.

Old 01-06-2017, 10:21 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah I think I've read every post now on every forum dealing with this, general consensus seems to be PCV and leakage. My hose from the EVAP is damn near rotted away. I'll be digging into the PCV/Valve Cover later on today.
Now the one thing I can't seem to confirm is if there's a "physical" PCV Valve inside the valve cover that can be replaced, rather then replacing the entire valve cover....?

Old 01-06-2017, 10:55 AM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
The 2V 5.4 has a PCV inserted into the valve cover that pulls out easily and is easy to change. Not sure about the 3V.

Old 01-06-2017, 12:34 PM
glc
Received 756 Likes on 702 Posts
The 3V does not have a PCV valve, it's a fixed orifice in the valve cover.