Advice on 2004 F150 Replacing Phasers, Tensioners, guides and chains

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2016, 11:20 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Advice on 2004 F150 Replacing Phasers, Tensioners, guides and chains

I am replacing the Phasers, Tenisioners, Guides, chains and the question I have is if i set #1cycl at TDC on the compression stroke using the OTC Crank Tool and then remove the chains, guides, tensioners and use OTC (6681) Phaser locking tool (minus the wedge obviously) and lock the phasers while removing them do i have to worry about the cams moving? I don't think so but wanted to make sure, trying to avoid having to remove roller followers and save some work and chance for error. Thanks in advance!

Old 12-21-2016, 10:46 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Cams WILL move (a few degrees) when you take Phaser's off if the recommended followers are not removed. Unless you lock cams down with vice grips just right. But you would never avoid having to move things slightly to get marked chain links aligned - so do not stress too much about cams moving as valve spring tension is relieved.

Just make SURE the engine is set correctly before removing chains. After torqueing phaser bolts, have a helper available and force the new phaser back to proper position with a breakover bar or torque wrench on the phaser bolt while you align chain marks.

Question though. Are you not thinking of checking lash adjusters and/or roller followers. If you had a tick - my bet is you have one / or some that are bad. I just replaced all 24 of both and done with it.

Old 12-22-2016, 01:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wasn't planning on messing around with the followers and lash adjusters, just one more thing to screw up...

Are you suggesting to remove the cam or just the Followers and check them and the lash adjusters? Do you have a good procedure to follow? I know i would need the spring compressor if i decided to go that route but i am concerned about messing up the timing and dropping a valve...

Old 12-28-2016, 02:40 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mkaminski
I wasn't planning on messing around with the followers and lash adjusters, just one more thing to screw up...

Are you suggesting to remove the cam or just the Followers and check them and the lash adjusters? Do you have a good procedure to follow? I know i would need the spring compressor if i decided to go that route but i am concerned about messing up the timing and dropping a valve...
Watch these four videos a few dozen times. Here is the first one:

Old 12-28-2016, 02:44 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
And while you are in there change/upgrade the oil pump: https://www.f150online.com/forums/v8...-pan-pump.html