Codes being thrown after tranny rebuild

Old 11-19-2016, 11:29 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Codes being thrown after tranny rebuild

Okay, so i have my 2010 4.6l 3v f150 in the tranny shop, it just recently had a full rebuild on the tranny. Going in the truck engine, and everything else was running fine. The truck has been delayed & when the tranny was being rebuilt there were some delays & issues. Now that the guy from the tranny shop said he is done and everything is running fine he has just informed me that i have had codes on the vehicle before he even began work. I am lookong for some help to diagnosing some of the codes, see if anyone has had issues or experience with these before. Im attaching a picture of the codes being thrown. Your help is greatly appreciated!

Old 11-19-2016, 09:41 PM
glc
Received 754 Likes on 700 Posts
I would say it's time to change the spark plugs.

Old 11-25-2016, 03:40 AM
Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts
I'm not trying to be smart but why are you not believing there is a cylinder 5 misfire issue?
What would you do about it? There must be a CEL lamp on if the misfire is a hard fault.
The code 316 is the result of the cylinder 5 misfire and will clear when the misfire is cleared.
There may or may not be other issues such that you won't know until the misfire is cleared first.
The 2 remaining codes are opposite types and seldom appear together like that.
One indicates a lean condition the other a rich condition. Normally can't have such a condition at the same time between the banks.
It is possible if there are other issues yet to be solved for or caused by other work around the exhaust system sensors and harness.
The lazy Ox Sensor is seen with a Scanner looking at it's voltage output activity.
The shop will not be responsible for them as it's not part of the trans job.
I'm sure they have been through this before and know enough to take a look for codes before they begin.
Transmission shifting depends on a fault free engine to work correctly so they need to be suie of that and tell you if there are issues..
Good luck.

Old 11-25-2016, 08:11 AM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
he has just informed me that i have had codes on the vehicle before he even began work.
One of the first steps in pulling a transmission *should* be to disconnect the battery which will, of course, reset all codes. Those codes are all MIL codes which means the check engine light would have been on. I'm not believing the story as relayed. However, coincidences do happen...

The two O2 codes are exactly the opposite of each other. If they were the only codes present, you'd probably have a bad sensor. However, since you also have a bank 2 cylinder misfire, its presence is the probably reason for the confused results of the O2 sensor test.

Check for something simple, like a dislodged #5 coil or injector sensor or look and see if coolant or some other fluid got spilled onto the COP or down into the hole. More likely than not, you're looking at a new coil and spark plug for the #5 cylinder which is the usual cause for that code.

Last edited by projectSHO89; 11-25-2016 at 08:15 AM.
Old 11-25-2016, 10:28 AM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
There are many ways they they MIGHT have damaged something to cause those codes including simply leaving a connector loose. I won't get into that. But OTOH I NEVER believe a shop that tells me LATER that there was a problem BEFORE they began the work! If there was they should have told you about it BEFORE they began the work. I see that they gave you a print out. Is it dated BEFORE they began the work? If not, then it didn't happen!

IMO unless you know there was an engine problem before you took it in OR useless they have proof such as a dated diagnosis report or informed you, then the tranny shop owns this problem.

Search this Thread