Please listen to this noise and help identify!

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2016, 10:38 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please listen to this noise and help identify!

Please view this video I took this morning.

It's from a 2009 Ford F-150 SCREW V8 4.6L XL.

There is some clicking in the video but it's the whine or "whirring" noise that I need help identifying.

I think it's the power steering pump. I say this because many years ago I would get a noise like this in the severe cold which would go away after the engine warmed up. At some point I popped the hood and noticed the power steering pump reservoir was low so I topped it off and the problem went away.

Then a year or so ago the problem would manifest on not-so cold days then many months ago, it would manifest all the time. I drained the power steering pump and put fresh fluid in and no noticeable difference.

Today it's 85 degrees and it started again.

Taking my son somewhere he wondered if it was indeed coming from the gearbox!

Any thoughts or suggestions will be much appreciated.

Video

Old 07-22-2016, 11:27 AM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
Alternator? Get a stethoscope and isolate the noise if you can. I've seen a super long screwdriver used like that by placing one end on parts and the other end to the ear.

Old 07-22-2016, 11:01 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
If you remove the serp belt and the noise goes away then you can be pretty certain that the noise is either coming from the p/s, alternator, A/C, or a tensioner or idler pully and not the base engine. You can then narrow it down to the exact component and make the replacement. Of course using the stethoscope as suggested above is always a good diagnostic method as well. Good luck.

Old 07-23-2016, 04:08 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
It kinda sounds like alternator bearing, or could be PS pump (even just low on fluid)

Tensioner pulley is a known failure point on the 04-10 4.6s

Old 07-23-2016, 11:49 PM
Power steering pump

Old 07-24-2016, 10:47 AM
Yesterday I tried to zero in on the issue listening to the compartment while my son revved the engine a bit. I can conclude the issue is indeed on the driver's side of the compartment.

However while I was about to make sure with a long screw driver I noticed the power steering pump reservoir was below the minimum! WTH??

So I will go with the PS pump as the culprit as I had topped it off a week ago. I don't see any stains in the driveway which is curious too but I guess I know what I'm doing next weekend. :/

Old 07-24-2016, 10:49 AM
Originally Posted by Patman
It kinda sounds like alternator bearing, or could be PS pump (even just low on fluid)

Tensioner pulley is a known failure point on the 04-10 4.6s
Yup, that went out on me too. But that one was a sharp sort of whine. The coincidental thing about it, the bearings seized up as I was driving to Pep Boys to get a replacement having IDd the problem, shredding the belt.

That was fun!

Quick Reply: Please listen to this noise and help identify!