'03 5.4 Upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2016, 01:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'03 5.4 Upgrades

I have a 2003 F-150 with the 5.4 Triton. Where I live there is one major road to come and go throughout my little town that has a speed of 55 mph and way too much traffic. So much so they average an accident a day that I attribute to people growing weary of waiting for a break in the traffic to get on to the road.

I'd like to increase the acceleration of my truck without decreasing the mileage it gets, and I'd much prefer upgrades I can do myself (mechanically inclined), and that don't cost much more than maybe $500 for a shop to install (exhaust).

Initially I was considering dual exhaust (didn't realize there were many types) and a K&N filter. Looking further I see a computer chip can really help with the gas mileage as well as performance, as well as an underdrive pulley, throttle body spacer, and catalytic converter.

What are some of the easier and cheaper upgrades, especially ones I can do myself as opposed to the most bang for the buck? What would be the better upgrade for gas mileage (18 mpg isn't great on long trips!)?

Old 04-22-2016, 02:27 PM
glc
Received 759 Likes on 703 Posts
Exhaust and intake will do next to nothing. The single most effective power mod for $500 is a programmer with custom tunes, and you may or may not get better or worse gas mileage.

Forget the pulley, spacer, and cat.

Old 04-22-2016, 02:50 PM
What are the custom tunes? Such as ignition, plugs/wires, etc?

Old 04-22-2016, 04:50 PM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
computer reprogram.

I bought the Superchips for my 02 and it added quite a bit of hp. If you plan to modify the engine you need to do the mods and then get a custom program for the engine with those mods.

The spacer under the throttle body doesn't do anything on port fuel injected engines.

Old 04-22-2016, 11:10 PM
From what I understood it seemed like the exhaust and intake were very good things allowing it to breathe much easier.

I thought it a load of bull, but one exhaust system claimed up to 167% increase, which a comment mirrored my disbelief asking if it meant 1.67%.

I saw the K&N filter didn't add much (up to 16 HP or so).

It's not so much an increase in output as it is response/acceleration I'm after. The numbers don't mean much to me as I no longer care about road racing.

I'd like to improve my get up and go, and I'd like to improve the gas mileage while I'm at it (this truck costs quite a bit on long trips).

Old 04-23-2016, 10:19 AM
glc
You aren't going to get substantial improvement in response without harming economy, and vice versa. If you are getting 18 on the highway, be happy - my 4.2 is lucky to get 20.

Old 04-23-2016, 08:38 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
There has NEVER been a CAI that has been dyno proven to give a single HP improvement. Never. They say they do but no one who has dynoed got anything. Theres a sound that some people like. Like said already you can do long tube headers they give up 15-30 Custom tune it after that and that might help. Lots of bucks for very little really. Just keep your stuff working right is IMO the simple best thing.. BTW lower gears also make it seem more powerful for sure. But there is MPG losses on the freeway..

Old 04-23-2016, 09:41 PM
computer reprogram is the ONLY thing that will increase hp and economy.

Old 04-29-2016, 11:14 PM
Originally Posted by rodwha
From what I understood it seemed like the exhaust and intake were very good things allowing it to breathe much easier.

I thought it a load of bull, but one exhaust system claimed up to 167% increase, which a comment mirrored my disbelief asking if it meant 1.67%.

I saw the K&N filter didn't add much (up to 16 HP or so).

It's not so much an increase in output as it is response/acceleration I'm after. The numbers don't mean much to me as I no longer care about road racing.

I'd like to improve my get up and go, and I'd like to improve the gas mileage while I'm at it (this truck costs quite a bit on long trips).

K&N filters are infamous for oiling up the MAF sensor.

Old 04-30-2016, 10:33 AM
K&N filter adding "up to 16hp" is total BS.

If you have lots of money to spend you can get big hp increases. Heads, cams, headers, etc will do it if you want to spend that kind of money. If you have that kind of money buy a newer ecoboost or 5.0.

A catback and K&N will make a little more noise, but that is about it.

Last edited by Roadie; 04-30-2016 at 10:35 AM.
Old 04-30-2016, 02:49 PM
What is an MAF sensor?

How is it that the K&N filter (or other colder air induction) doesn't add any HP? Or the dual exhaust either? It seems odd that people would spend $$$ on such things for their hot rods if it didn't do anything.

If one does upgrade the exhaust and intake does this need to be done before a tuner? Or can the tuner be reconfigured after those were done?

Old 04-30-2016, 05:46 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by rodwha
What is an MAF sensor?

How is it that the K&N filter (or other colder air induction) doesn't add any HP? Or the dual exhaust either? It seems odd that people would spend $$$ on such things for their hot rods if it didn't do anything.

If one does upgrade the exhaust and intake does this need to be done before a tuner? Or can the tuner be reconfigured after those were done?
Dual exhaust and CAI dont make your motor flow more air then they were designed to. If you did things to the internal engine, high lift cam ported polished heads and such then you might take advantage of the increased flow availability. But even then the stock set up is not really restrictive. No CAI has ever been Dyno proven to increase HP its a fact and dual exhaust only see increase with headers. There is allot of crap being sold that really dose nothing. Google is your friend. Do some research before you spend your money.

Old 04-30-2016, 08:09 PM
MAF mass air flow sensor that is in the intake.

The stock air intake is a cold air intake. The aftermarket "cold air intakes" may or may not be "cold" air intakes if it gets air from under the hood.

Old 04-30-2016, 09:38 PM
Valid points. Thanks!

So outside of a tuner what else would I care to look at to improve what I have without doing surgery on the engine or dropping mass coins?

Old 04-30-2016, 10:38 PM
glc
That's about all you can do - a programmer with custom tunes. Anything else will be surgery, major bucks, and/or loss of gas mileage. Stock size low rolling resistance tires may help a bit with gas mileage. Lifts and leveling kits also hurt mileage.

Quick Reply: '03 5.4 Upgrades