Recommended coil packs (COP) to use?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2015, 05:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Recommended coil packs (COP) to use?

2008 FX2 S'crew, just about to turn over 100,000 kms (60k miles). Noticed recently in the heat wave we have been having (90+ degree days for weeks) some rough-running at idle in gear after shutting off for 10-15 mins then re-starting (heat soaked) and couple little bucks/stutters when towing the travel trailer at low RPM/moderate loads on a light incline.

I'm thinking that one or more of the coil packs is on it's way out? Had a similar issue with a Dodge Caravan that acted up when it got hot, changed the plugs (no COP) and it was fine after that.

I've seen Delphi, Motorcraft and Accell on Amazon for various prices. Delphi being the cheapest ($130) and Accell the most ($204). I'm Canadian so everything gets bumped up 25% due to our dollar. There is another brand on there that is $60 for a pack of 8! No thanks. So anyone have input as to the issue and the brands of COP?

Thanks

Old 07-10-2015, 06:55 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Always go motorcraft.
Have you thought about changing the plugs first tho? The recommended changes interval changed from 100k to 60k miles

Old 07-10-2015, 07:07 PM
glc
Received 757 Likes on 702 Posts
Are your COP boots black or brown? They made a midyear change to the heads which replaced the 2 piece plugs with conventional plugs, you will need to know before you order plugs or cops.

Check rockauto.com too - they allow you to choose $CAD and they do ship to Canada.

Old 07-10-2015, 10:31 PM
Thankfully I have the brown boots so it's a 1-piece plug (April 2008 build date).

I went through a bunch of this last Feb when it turns out an intake valve spring broke, keeping the intake valve open. Anyway, I 'think' I changed the plugs at that time but can't remember and that was only 10,000 miles ago. I'll check anyway.

Thanks for the tip about Rockauto. I have ordered from them before so I'll check them out.

Old 07-11-2015, 10:30 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'd get a scan tool a good one that reads live missfire counts. That year its worth investing in one the newer trucks you need a good scan tool to do any diagnostics. I hear there is a pretty good ap for phones that reads everything. You have to buy the blue tooth port and I'm not sure if the ap itself is free or what. Then just replace them as they fail.

Old 07-12-2015, 02:05 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jethat
I'd get a scan tool a good one that reads live missfire counts. That year its worth investing in one the newer trucks you need a good scan tool to do any diagnostics. I hear there is a pretty good ap for phones that reads everything. You have to buy the blue tooth port and I'm not sure if the ap itself is free or what. Then just replace them as they fail.
Is that the Torque App? I think it's called

Old 07-12-2015, 02:38 PM
thats one I've seen not sure if it does live missfire.

Old 07-14-2015, 12:56 PM
Drove it on the weekend and got a code after coming off the freeway. I borrowed a code reader but I don't know yet if it reads live misfire. I did get 2 codes, both P0353 (pending and confirmed). So malfunction on the primary/secondary circuit of cylinder 3 (second from front on drivers side). I changed cylinder 3 coil pack. The truck felt fine on the initial drive around the block but it did before as well after it would cool down. Problem only surfaces when it warms up.

My wife drove the truck this morning around town and the problem again surfaced after she had turned the a/c on. Not right at the moment of activation but after it being on for a few minutes and she slowed down for a light. I believe this to be because of the extra heat coming off the condenser is causing the heat-born issue to raise it's head. No CEL yet but I'll do a read later on when I get home. She said it started bogging as well until she got it into a parking spot.

Before the COP change, we had to return home on the freeway and it was fine until about 20 min. into the highway drive and it would stutter a little bit and then it would bog (a/c was off) so we came off the freeway and took the backroads home and it felt fine after that. So again, after relieving it from steady-state highway speeds it's better around town where speeds and RPMs are lower and varied.

I'm frustrated that the COP change did not fix the issue. Anybody have other ideas? It seems to happen as it warms up so this tells me something is making good contact when cold but doesn't as it heats up so it's a dynamic issue. Not sure if it could be the wiring connector at the COP or something else.

I guess I'll run the code reader again to see if anything is pending again and pull the spark plug too to see if the electrode looks good and if there is a crack in the insulator or something.

Last edited by White2008FX2; 07-14-2015 at 01:02 PM.
Old 07-14-2015, 01:24 PM
#3 is passenger side...1-4 passenger side, 5-8 drivers side...

Old 07-14-2015, 03:27 PM
Again in order to really be able to diagnoses you need a real scan tool. I would cheek the wiring from the passenger side coil harness make sure nothing is rubbing through and I might swap the injector or just get some concentrated Techron and see if that fixes it. Beyond that with out a scan tool that reads live data your stuck.

Old 07-14-2015, 05:22 PM
glc
Received 757 Likes on 702 Posts
Before you have to do all that, replace the 3rd one back on the passenger side.......

You replaced #6.

Old 07-14-2015, 10:21 PM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
Yeah, Ford has a weird way of numbering cylinders. Chevy numbers them according to how they line up on the crank. Pontiac called the number 2 cyl on the crank the #1 for timing purposes. Keeps everybody confused!

Old 07-14-2015, 11:25 PM
Well you guys are right. I replaced the COP in the wrong cylinder. I had small block Chevy on the brain but as already said, Ford numbers it different. I replaced the COP in the correct #3 cylinder and took it for a long test drive. It ran well and it was well-warmed when I drove it, with the max a/c on.

Old 10-08-2015, 10:15 PM
I searched and found this thread today, my truck felt like it had a bad COP. Bought a Motocraft from Advance Auto, installed it on #3 cylinder, as mentioned in this thread, Fixed my truck. Thanks!

Quick Reply: Recommended coil packs (COP) to use?