Preparing to swap engines in my 2002 Supercrew

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2015, 07:41 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Preparing to swap engines in my 2002 Supercrew

What I have is an oil starved top end original 5.4 with about 150,000, and will be picking up a 175,000 mile fleet maintained 54. from a 2001 F350.

Plans are a tear down of the 01 engine, and replace bearings and gaskets and seals. Wish I had a chance to to do a compression test and leak down, but don't know how to do that without installing.

So, while I have the thing torn down, what should I be looking for to improve oil flow and such? Anything else I should be worried about, or is this a wrong direction between vehicles... Also believing I should swap all the sensors and such as I go, so everything is "new"...

Old 07-06-2015, 10:51 PM
Need to get some bolts to mount the replacement engine to a stand, any idea what thread pitch I need? Got my engine today. Time to start the tear down.

Name:  20150706_163806_zpscqowuahk.jpg
Views: 272
Size:  334.1 KB
I know I can't use the F350 throttle body. And is that an oil cooler at the fitler? I doubt I have room for that. Anyone using a remote filter set?

Last edited by zjrog; 07-06-2015 at 10:56 PM.
Old 08-09-2015, 12:37 AM
Name:  20150808_183634_zpsvnkwbadm.jpg
Views: 259
Size:  239.8 KB
I need some idea how to check for excess wear in these chains...

Name:  20150808_183605_zpsx8hlcvyj.jpg
Views: 235
Size:  313.0 KB
I was hoping for something a little lighter in color. But I don't see anything terribly marked or scored.

I am quite surprised how many things are different between the F150 version and the Superduty. Planning to add a remote dual filter setup. And swapping in new oil and water pumps. Undecided on removing the heads and replacing the head gaskets. But probably a better idea.

Old 08-10-2015, 01:20 PM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
I don't see any sludge in that engine. That's impressive with that many miles on it.

Old 08-15-2015, 07:45 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice project!

Those chains look worn from the pics.

Old on left, new on right.
The pins in the chains start to stretch, and the chains will start to gain lateral (side to side) movement. That's why your links are shiny in the one spot, those pins on that part of the chain are stretched a bit and the links are rubbing.

I'd recommend a timing component kit. Comes with tensioners, guides, chains and some include the crank sprocket.

Old 08-21-2015, 05:26 PM
Thanks! Roadie, I appreciate that input. Not seeing any sludge in the top was great, everything was a bit darker colored than I expected. But as clean as it i s, leads me to think the rest is OK.

Shoon, a timing set is ordered, minus gears. I can always change my mind.

Should have a chance this weekend to open the bottom and get a better look in the pan and at the main and rod bearings, and look into the cylinders from the bottom.

Old 07-09-2019, 12:33 AM

Took me long enough to get back to this project. Life really got in the way. Multiple health issues for the wife and I, daughter's wedding, son and his wife adopted kids, dad passed... But. I gathered parts and now to dig in.

Ok. New timing set including gears. New lifters. New water and oil pumps. Bunch of seals and gaskets. Planning to pull the oil pan to see the inside of the cylinders, check a couple rod and main bearings.

Questions, interchangeability. Super Duty engines and 150 engines, I know the oil filter adapters are different. But can I use the the SD adapter with a remote filter instead of the F150 unit? Throttle bodies are different, but are the intake manifolds? How much benefit to finding the aluminum 99 PI intake? And last for tonight, shorty headers, will the give any significant performance increase? Ok. One more, dual exhausts are always great for sound, will I gain anything significant power or MPG wise? (if I can keep my foot out of it!)

And I work slow, but hoping to have this running before summer is over...

Old 07-09-2019, 12:40 AM
I had a chance to get a 2002 6.8 V10 last year. But just the engine. I chose to pass on it, as I'd need to find too much stuff to be cost effective.

Not looking for a ton of extra power, but a few extra horses never hurt. When I couldn't find a Lighning 5.4, I decided against a performance build.

Intended uses are typical truck fare. Trailers, ATVs and riding mowers. Maybe occassional commuting. It's daily driver days are likely past, and my 02 Neon is likely on the block once I feel this is reliable.

Old 07-09-2019, 12:55 AM

Beginning work last night. Just pulling the intake and a quick working over with a wire brush. And vacuuming the debris. Cleaner than I expected for a used engine from a work truck.

Old 05-12-2020, 01:18 AM
So I got distracted last year. Life, job...
Back on it this year. In the nutshell, new headgaskets and bolts. I have to admit a mistake I got away with. I over torqued the heads. Spec calls for 30 lb/ft, then turn 90*, loosen on full turn, torque to 30 lb/ft, the turn 90*, then turn another 90*. Well. I overdid it. At the moment I was doing that, I mistook 90* as 3/4 of a turn. So. Yeah. If you were ever curious how much the torque to yield bolts will stretch, I measured 6 at 1/8". I had used Mahle bolts, and replaced with Mahle bolts. Also Mahle headgaskets were also replaced. I had a friend check the heads for warping, he is a mechanic. They are within spec. I dodged a big bullet.

I didn't go crazy with cleaning. But got the worst of the crud off. I have one more pass with torquing the valve and timing covers to go, new exhaust manifold studs and gaskets too. I need the driver's side manifold off my original engine, the EGR tubes are in different locations.

So. New timing set. New oil and water pumps. New lifters. New sensors. New heater tube for the valley will be here tomorrow. New valve cover gaskets and timing cover gaskets. Rear main seal will be changed when I get the engine off the stand. Considering new alternator and starter, but may just wait and get it running first.

As it sits tonight. Two upper bolts for the transmission need to be pulled. The engine mount bolts are loose, and new mounts are going as well. Still have to drop the AC compressor. But the power steering pump is loose, as well as the wiring harness.

I think I have most everything I need on hand, or arriving in the next couple days. So I have a question.

I put the F350 oil filter adapter in place just for this picture. It certainly looks like it will fit in my 4x2 02 F150. I'd like to use it specifically for the ease of filter changes. I do not know what the coolant section is for, but wonder if it can be removed or not. If this can't fit an F150, I plan to get a kit for remote filter and external oil cooler. I'm fairly certain I can't remove this in the truck if it doesn't fit right... So I guess that was 2 questions. Edit... I suddenly wonder if the F150 engine mounts will be in the way of using this set up... (wife won't let me go tinker this late at night. Grrrrr)

I am the original owner of this truck. I don't know what failed in this engine. I'm looking forward to an autopsy after everything is buttoned up. Really curious what I may find.

Yeah. I revived my own Zombie thread...

Last edited by zjrog; 05-12-2020 at 01:25 AM.
Old 05-12-2020, 09:15 AM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
Thanks for the update!

The following users liked this post:
Old 05-12-2020, 10:41 AM
I had a lot of "snowball" ideas as I had too much time to think on this project. In the end, I chose to just stab in this engine and go. By "snowball", it would have been easy to throw in lots of performance parts, headers and more. My mechanic friend, whom I only ask his help for sanity reasons, keeps me from spending money.

So. Get it running is priority. After that, spend money as needed to get it safe again on the street. After sitting 6 years, it needs tires for certain. Brakes. I will plan an alignment, which I was going to do about the time I parked it anyway.

I really need to stop reading Patman's Coyote thread!

Discussing with my wife though, depending on the condition of the original engine, I may look for a Crown Vic or SN95 Mustang with blown up engine and think about a 5.4 swap... I'll admit to thinking about the 5.4 in my 95 Grand Cherokee... Um. Never going to fit...

I'm just happy to be close to pulling the old engine. Putting my forced time off to use.

Old 05-12-2020, 01:11 PM
So I answered my question about the Super Duty oil filter location, and why it won't work on stock F150s...

Simply because the stock F150 engine mount occupies that space. There is not enough room to modify this mount. And I'm not able to fabricate something to make it all be happy together.

So. Off to the junkyard to search for Expefition filter relocation stuff. If I can find them. Otherwise, I'll just use aftermarket stuff.

Old 05-12-2020, 02:17 PM
glc
Received 759 Likes on 703 Posts
What about a factory F150 relocation kit? My son in law's 98 F150 4x4 offroad package with a 4.6 had one, the filter is right behind the bumper. Boneyards should have plenty of those.

Old 05-12-2020, 03:03 PM
Originally Posted by glc
What about a factory F150 relocation kit? My son in law's 98 F150 4x4 offroad package with a 4.6 had one, the filter is right behind the bumper. Boneyards should have plenty of those.
I guess I thought just Expeditions got them. Thanks, will look at all Expy and 10th Gen trucks...

Quick Reply: Preparing to swap engines in my 2002 Supercrew