Search this Thread

Old 12-03-1999, 12:08 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post 351

Well, it would seem as though I've found a used F-150 that I really do like...

It's a 1988 Lariat with a 351 V-8. Where can I find power and torque numbers for this engine.

As an aside, where can I find a replacement bench seat for this vehicle?

Thanks,

Mike

Old 12-03-1999, 07:57 AM
If memory serves correctly. It has 310 ft.lbs at I believe 2800 rpms. and 210 hp

Old 12-03-1999, 08:56 PM
Greetings Mike: Ford-tough1 was correct on the ratings@brochure. For a seat, how good shape is the current? Cheapest would be to rebuild/cover it. The factory seat is called the" cloth Flight Bench' And was used with the fold down armrest from 87-96. The 87 and 88's had cupholders in the armrest, and 92-96's had a console. I would cheap a junkyard too.

Old 12-04-1999, 02:01 AM
Thanks for your replies, y'all!

Have had to do some hard thinking about the truck... They're not giving me enough for my trade, and the '88 has a couple of things that need attention...

May just buy it as a second truck/tinker toy.

The bench seat can be restuffed and re-upholestered locally for about $160. Not bad... That'll get some of the cigarette odor out of the truck.

Next thing (most important factor in my decision to not trade and maybe not buy.) The truck has a C6 transmission--no overdrive. I'm very concerned about this because I do travel on the interstate quite a bit. I'm not sure it'll help the tranny out at all if I went somewhere at 75 mph without an overdrive (75 is the legal speed here in NM.) At 75mph, that 351 is spinning about 3500 RPMs, and I'm just not sure about how that'll affect the engine and tranmission lives. Not to mention towing a 5000 pound trailer at 60-65mph. (However, the original owner did pull quite a big trailer or fifth wheel with this truck--hydraulic brake control under the dash and gooseneck electrical connections in the bed.)
Opinions?

The transmission has a nice clunk and the truck surges when I put it in reverse. Is this a characteristic of the C6?

That 351 sure does feel good for having only 5 more horsepower than my stock V-6... What a difference 50 ft-lbs or torque makes--the truck flies at speed. Engine is bulletproof other than having a small valve cover leak and needing a minor tune up.

Thanks again for your thoughts,

Mike

Old 12-04-1999, 08:33 PM
Mike: The c-6 is pretty bulletproof, I wish for offered a Od'd version of the C-6 today. Otherwise you might consider replacing it with a Aod, noncomputerized or even a E40d, I believe there are companies out there that offer electronic kits to help you install the E40d

Old 12-05-1999, 11:51 AM
Thanks for your reply. I didn't get this
truck, which was probably a mistake--it was in great shape! I need to find out more about what transmission upgrades are available first, and then will hopefully run into another truck like this...

Thanks for the note, and I'll give some tranny shops a call this week.

-Mike

Could be driving an '88 Lariat extended cab, 351, ABS, limited slip towing axle, long bed... $4000... darn, I should have snatched it up!!! :-)

Old 12-05-1999, 02:21 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink

You'll NEVER get what you should with a trade.
ALWAYS sell outright if you don't want to take a hit on the trade.
BUY the truck if they still have it and sell your vehicle in the paper or something.

Old 12-05-1999, 03:17 PM
Talking

Hey guys, The c-6 is a great tranny. There are ways to pump them up if you take them to someone who knows there stuff. The only real drawback is that they are very heavy. The are great for work but a better tranny for race is a built c-4 cause they are lighter. There are many drag Stang's right now turnin 7s and 8s on c-4's. I did have a built c-6 in my 67 f-100 and I was puttin almost 500 horse through it. The guy who built it for me built trannies for ford so he knew the things inside and out. So if you get a truck with a c-6 you will be gettin a great tranny.

Old 12-05-1999, 04:55 PM
mike: 54RegCab is hit the nail straight on the head! I would advise you buying a truck from a owner instead of a dealer. You can usually get better info on the truck from the previous owner, and usually get it a bit cheaper. My friend bought a well-worn 88 F-250 Custom 351W/C-6 with allot of options from the original owner, the truck needed a few things,(he put about 3000 thou in it) he bought the truck for $750. The truck is a basic work truck, but the interior was perfect.

Quick Reply: 351