5w-20 Motorcraft Synthetic Blend replaces regular 5w-20?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2001, 04:35 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5w-20 Motorcraft Synthetic Blend replaces regular 5w-20?

I bought 5w-20 Synthetic Blend at Wal-mart for 1.77 quart. But what is interesting is the Bar Code on the bottle is the same as the bar code on the bottle of the regular 5w-20 dino oil. Seems to suggest that Motorcraft/Ford is replacing the regular 5w-20 with the Synthetic blend. And if so--has there been any trouble with the regular 5w-20 used in Ford 2001 engines? What do you think?

And do you think that Ford may be installing this Synthetic blend in their new factory engines?

Old 09-03-2001, 02:32 PM
I suspect that the synthetic blend is a blend of Group III basestocks and maybe Group I or II. Though probably group II.

This day and age a manufacture has a very broad range what they can call a synthetic base stock. For $1.77 I go back the saying you get what you pay for.

I looked at Wally today, and the price for the Quaker State sythetic Blend was about $2.30.

I would imagine that if it were a true synthetic blend it would be a little higher in price.

True synthetic basestocks like PAO's and Ester bases cost over 2 times to manufacture than Group III hydrocracked/Isodewaxed basestocks. Hence the reason most synthetic blends are over $2 a quart.

Here is a site that explains a bit more about the Hydrotreating process that the new 5w20 uses:
http://www.petro-canada.ca/eng/canad...l/com-htp.html

Both Petro Canada and Conoco(they make motorcraft oil) use this type of process to make base lubricants.

While these are very very good conventional oils they still do not perform as well as PAO or Esters!

Old 09-04-2001, 03:09 AM
Msparks:

I suspect that you have a good point there--I dont doubt that the Motorcraft synthetic blend isnt the best quality on the market. But the point that I was trying to make is that Motorcraft/Ford seems to have upgraded their 5w-20 oil. To something better than the original 5w-20 Motorcraft oil. And this may suggest that Motorcraft or Ford have had problems with the original oil--or that they have thought that they may have trouble with the original oil. Oil companies usually dont keep the same bar code on two different products--unless the newer product is replacing the other. But --I am no expert.

Old 09-04-2001, 10:03 AM
also note if you look on the container, is say's something about being designed by ford for ford vehicles.

since when did ford get into the oil refining business?? Doesn't say anthing about it on my share holders report!!!!!!

LOL

Their marketing stinks, just like the red bottle, trying to draw attention to something they are not.

(my plug here) If you want a good synthetic 5w20 you all know where to come!!!! Cause I have the best!!! Bar none. Hahaha.

Quick Reply: 5w-20 Motorcraft Synthetic Blend replaces regular 5w-20?