F150online Forums

F150online Forums (https://www.f150online.com/forums/)
-   V8 Engines (https://www.f150online.com/forums/v8-engines-24/)
-   -   Loud Clacking Ticking when engine warms up (https://www.f150online.com/forums/v8-engines/492725-loud-clacking-ticking-when-engine-warms-up.html)

rb8720 12-09-2013 08:57 AM

Loud Clacking Ticking when engine warms up

I have a 06 F150 5.4L 3v. I have only been driving occasionally for the past few months. The other morning I drove it and after about 15 min I noticed a VERY loud knocking sound from the mother. If I put it in neutral and let the engine go back to idol the sound would stop for a short period of time. I also notice my oil pressure would drop and then increase Enginer light was also on. I immediately went home, change oil and filter. Started engine and it sounded fine. Drove around neighborhood few time no noise. Thinking it was ok, i drove it last night and on the way how got the noise again, no oil pressure drop this time though. Turned engine off waited 2 min, restarted noise was gone. Is this the Cam phaser issue I have heard about. Tried to get the local autozone to check codes but tech couldn't get the OBD to read. Any other trouble shooting steps I can take to figure out exactly what the problem is? Thanks in advance for your help.

RB8720

Bignasty7 12-09-2013 01:03 PM

The cam phasers shouldnt make oil pressure drop ... Maybe theres a blockage somewere not letting you get enough oil to you motor? Idk

Sent from my iPhone using IB AutoGroup

DYNOTECH 12-09-2013 01:27 PM

The code definition would be a big help of course so continue to try and retrieve that. How many miles on the engine? Was the oil you drained full of gas or have a strong gas smell? It would also help if you could locate the noise by using a stethoscope. Any engine misfire/lack of power, going on while the noise is present?

rb8720 12-09-2013 01:35 PM

Truck has roughly 130k miles on it. Oil pressure is fine now after oil change, believe that was a symptom of not having enough oil. The oil I drained was just black, could tell it was old. No gas smell and didn't notice any metal flakes in it either. Going to try a different autozone to see if they can read the codes. didn't notice any misfires and Not sure about lack of power, once I heard the noise I didn't push it no hard than needed to get home. Will try and record noise this evening.

Thanks
RB8720

rb8720 12-09-2013 03:47 PM

Just talked with the local dealership service dept. They agreed that it prob is the cam phaser or VCT solenoids. Quoted me a price of 1500-2200 to replace the phasers and solenoids. Is this a reasonable cost or can anyone recommend a shop in the Gwinnett/ Barrow County area of Georgia to use? Is there a way to know for sure which it is without tearing into the engine?

Thanks
RB8720

rb8720 12-09-2013 06:23 PM

I unpluged the VCT solenoids to see if that would help it didn't. Here are two vids on with normal sound and the other after driving for about 10-15 min. Also I did notice a drop in oil pressure again and then it picked back up again.

Thanks
RB8720

glc 12-09-2013 06:48 PM

Check your cig lighter fuse, that's what controls the OBD2 socket.

rb8720 12-21-2013 10:14 AM

was able to get it to stop knocking long enough to trade, got 12k for trade so now i have a 2012 f150 with the 5.0 engine. not 4wd and not leather but i can live with it considering the position i was in.