Codes P0345 and P0349

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2013, 02:09 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
one cause of these codes can be one of three charging diodes in the altanator going bad.....get the altanator checked out and don't replace with a reman cause most reman companies don't check the diodes either...

Old 11-19-2013, 03:43 PM
k_h
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah I just haven't had time to get it checked out yetl. I'm going to unplug the alternator later when I get home, clear the codes and start it up... there was a member that posted that to try it andsee if it's the alternator.. worth a shot.. make sure if you try though battery is charged but it's a short test to see if alternator is causing it..

Old 11-20-2013, 06:40 PM
k_h
Just following up... today decided to do a little trouble shooting and a little cleaning.. took the throttle body off and cleaned it.. while I was at it, disconnected the grey connector on the alternator to trouble shoot my p0345 and p0349 codes. So after disconnecting the alternator and hooking back up the battery started the truck up and guess what... no codes.. no check engine light.. so looks like i have a bad diode in my alternator that's causing the codes to pop up. If you decide to do this, make sure you battery has a full charge.

Old 11-20-2013, 07:03 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by k_h
Just following up... today decided to do a little trouble shooting and a little cleaning.. took the throttle body off and cleaned it.. while I was at it, disconnected the grey connector on the alternator to trouble shoot my p0345 and p0349 codes. So after disconnecting the alternator and hooking back up the battery started the truck up and guess what... no codes.. no check engine light.. so looks like i have a bad diode in my alternator that's causing the codes to pop up. If you decide to do this, make sure you battery has a full charge.
could be a less than optimal connection on that connector for the altenator also.....disconnecting if and reconnecting it made it better...at least for now...

Old 11-21-2013, 01:14 AM
k_h
Originally Posted by 88racing
could be a less than optimal connection on that connector for the altenator also.....disconnecting if and reconnecting it made it better...at least for now...
Sorry what I meant was the codes came back when I reconnected the alternator... so pretty much isolated it to the alternator causing the codes to pop up.

Old 11-26-2013, 12:16 AM
k_h
Ok changed out the alternator.... Still the same codes. Truck still runs fine. No drivability issues. I did get a p1000 which I know is jus the computer not done yet with its learning. Hopefully all the codes will clear... If not this damn thing is pissin me off

Old 07-28-2014, 02:24 PM
Im have the same issue with my 2006 F150 Harley davidson. Did changing the alternator clear the codes?

Old 07-28-2014, 07:53 PM
Why didn't people follow up with what they started? Wishful thinking I guess.

Old 08-02-2014, 04:21 PM
Ok.... Here is a little update ....So I changed my vct solenoids last night, ....I drove my truck for about 5 miles around town to get it up to temperature and I did not get any codes.
What I found, when I removed bank2 vct solenoid(driver side which is the side that I got codes from 0345 and 0349), was very small metal flake (smaller and finer than glitter... When rubbed between my fingers looked like a paste). My thought is that this could have clogged the vct solenoid and be the cause of the problem.
Well Saturday morning I will be driving a little more so I will update you guys how my truck is running.

Oh and I bought the vct solenoids with seals on eBay from a ford dealer in Ohio $114.95

So i drove my truck this morning aprox. 100 miles today and I did not get the engine codes back. I passed NJ inspection with no problems truck seem to be running a little smoother and idle is steady at 600rpm. AS far as the metal found on the solenoid i don't know what to make of it. However, I change my oil twice, plus an oil filter with in a week before replacing the solenoids and it came out clean. .. any thoughts on the metal found on the solenoid?

Just wanted to update this forum with my info in case this helps.

Old 11-13-2014, 04:18 AM
k_h
Originally Posted by tzr250rg
Ok.... Here is a little update ....So I changed my vct solenoids last night, ....I drove my truck for about 5 miles around town to get it up to temperature and I did not get any codes.
What I found, when I removed bank2 vct solenoid(driver side which is the side that I got codes from 0345 and 0349), was very small metal flake (smaller and finer than glitter... When rubbed between my fingers looked like a paste). My thought is that this could have clogged the vct solenoid and be the cause of the problem.
Well Saturday morning I will be driving a little more so I will update you guys how my truck is running.

Oh and I bought the vct solenoids with seals on eBay from a ford dealer in Ohio $114.95

So i drove my truck this morning aprox. 100 miles today and I did not get the engine codes back. I passed NJ inspection with no problems truck seem to be running a little smoother and idle is steady at 600rpm. AS far as the metal found on the solenoid i don't know what to make of it. However, I change my oil twice, plus an oil filter with in a week before replacing the solenoids and it came out clean. .. any thoughts on the metal found on the solenoid?

Thanks for the update. Didn't think something that small could cause the codes.

Old 11-13-2014, 06:42 PM
k_h
Originally Posted by tzr250rg

Was your truck running fine, just had the same two codes as me?

That's my problem that's different from everyone that has the same two codes... my truck drives fine no idle issues.. everyone else has the same two codes but their trucks run like crap at idle, etc...

Old 11-15-2014, 02:24 PM
k_h
So I changed out the vct's with the newer ones still no change. Got the same codes. I think it's the camphaser now. That's wen these codes reared its ugly head. Time to go back into the motor. The phaser is a dorman brand btw. Ford parts only from now on.

Old 11-17-2014, 05:25 AM
Not sure what your next step is, however the vct, cam phasers, and cam sensors are all related and can give the same error odes. If you replaced the cam phasers already I highly doubt there bad again. Unless defected or installed incorrectly.
On another note I gave up on this motor I was just not happy with the 5.8. I was going to wait for the 2015 f150, but I got a great deal in a 2013 f350 lariat fx4 diesel that I traded my truck in for it.
I Di drive my truck for about 800 miles before trading it in with no error codes so I do think the vcts were the problem on my f150.
Good luck

Last edited by tzr250rg; 11-17-2014 at 05:27 AM.
Old 02-04-2015, 05:50 PM
2004 Ford F150 had a code of p0345 a few weeks ago and I replaced the camshaft sensor. I reset the codes and now a few weeks later the check engine light comes on with the same code......Help???

Old 02-04-2015, 07:31 PM
I tell you what Ford told me. I had to replace the PCM to the tune of $800+. Turned out NOT to be the problem but I guess their diagnostics say to check the CPS and then, if that is not the problem, replace the PCM. Not saying to do this, just saying that is what Ford told me.

Quick Reply: Codes P0345 and P0349