Truck hardly moves! Fuel issue?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2013, 10:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Truck hardly moves! Fuel issue?

This is going to get confusing...far beyond me...

Truck: 1999 f-150 4.6 was the original motor swapped to a 2002 5.4 engine and trans (using coil packs)

fault codes:
P1549: Intake Manifold Communication Control (IMCC) Circuit (BANK 1)
P1000: ON-BOARD diagnostic (OBD) Systems Readiness Test Not Complete
P0353: Ignition Coil 3 Primary/Secondary Circuit

So it started after i parked my truck at a buddys for the winter, i went to start it after winter and it i did start however, it was running like complete crap. I had ended up parking it down the road at my fathers office building for a few months trying to figure out the problem when all of a sudden it wouldnt start at all. Put a fuel pressure gauge on it, 0 PSI. Ended up putting it on a trailer and bringing it home.

So today i tried again. Checked the relay, relay is good, listened for the pump, heard nothing. I continuously turned the ignition on and off, on and off, than the pump made a noise and i had 40 PSI?? But it runs like crap still.

My main question is. When i did the 5.4 swap, it was required to KEEP the Intake manifold tuning valve on the truck mounted off somewhere, where it could still turn. I just noticed that its gone, it must of fell off, broke off, stolen? Could this cause such a drastic decrease in power? Like i said, it barely moves, i put the pedal to the floor and it bogs. I DO however, have a rear drum break thats hung up, but isnt the issue because we pushed it into its spot with another truck, so it still moves easily. It is causing some resistance however and it will NOT budge. Hope this is enough information to start a diagnostic on something! Thanks

Old 06-28-2013, 12:19 AM
Bump - or if any one knows where i can get the intake runner control valve for a 1999 f150 4.6 Windsor motor. Not having any luck myself.

Old 06-28-2013, 02:37 PM
what ecm are you using on the 5.4? the one from the 4.6? if so you need to get one for a 5.4 engine with the 5.4 programming. your programming will be different between engines.

Old 06-28-2013, 02:56 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Its not the PCM it would run decent even un programed but it should get a custom tune. I would figure out the fuel system isssues it sounds like it has first. Mabe grab one of them intake valves at the JY

Old 06-28-2013, 10:07 PM
i am still using the 4.6 ecu, it ran decent for awhile with it. I still do have the 5.4 ECU just never had it programmed.

Old 06-28-2013, 10:56 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
the 4.6 computer will run it. It needs a custom tune but it will run it fine. Fix the fuel issue bad pump or something.

Old 06-29-2013, 09:51 PM
at this point i am more suspicious of why its misfiring constantly on 3. I swapped passenger with driver coil packs, still miss fires on 3#, took all plugs off the CPs while it was running 1 by 1, solid consistent spark on every one, i would say coil packs are good. I pulled the wiring off the corresponding cylinder's fuel injector, no changes, i pulled off a random cylinder , got even worse. Could a fuel injector be causing this problem? I really dont have/know a way to test them as they sit in the truck.

Old 07-01-2013, 12:03 AM
The issue turned out to be a CP wire grounding off the frame, warn . I replaced the section and its back to new. Though i still have the fuel issue i think the pump is going bad. Thanks for all the help guys!

Quick Reply: Truck hardly moves! Fuel issue?