I tried Sea Foam FI cleaner - WOW!

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2004, 09:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I tried Sea Foam FI cleaner - WOW!

I decided to try this product after reading about it on this site. I disconnected the vacuum hose from the power brake booster and let it suck up a whole can of the stuff. I then turned the truck off and let it sit about 30 minutes. Whenever I cranked her up, it billowed smoke out the tail pipe. Well, I figured that this must be a good sign. I then poured a can into the gas tank and drove her hard for about 100 miles. Occasionally it would smoke and sputter after AI would floor it. Again, a good sign.

What a difference. No more hesitation and the truck accelerates like new. Best $10 I have ever spent. Do NOT waste your money on any other FI cleaner. I have used them all (STP, Techron, etc) and have never noticed much of a difference. I just wonder how I have managed to miss this great product all of these years. Try it guys, you will not be disappointed.

Old 03-09-2004, 10:54 PM
I tried Seafoam in my already ailing truck. I discovered that the cleaner does in fact seem to be causing smoking, and the smoke is not the cleaner itself (unlike other cleaners. How do I know? The white smoke didn't start coming out when I started pouring it in the vacuum line). After finally purging out of the system, I had a great increase in power. I did notice the engine is running a little hotter, which is good. However, the cleaner seems to have finished off my exhaust gasket. It has also caused my valve train to start ticking towards the rear of the Engine. This product does what it says, but I wouldn't reccomend it for engines that are ailing and you are trying to preserve.

Old 03-10-2004, 08:47 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If anything, Seafoam would be the worst thing you could do for a higher mileage engine that has never had the crabon build-up cleaned out. The engine tolerances and components have adjusted to the build-up of carbon. Just like you should never clean sludge out from a head after taking the valve cover off. That sludge you miss will eventually get caught on the oil pick-up screen and bye bye oil supply. I think Seafoam is a good product, but its not that "As Seen On TV" do all product so many claim to be. It cleans carbon. It does its job.

The following users liked this post:
Old 03-10-2004, 07:02 PM
Re: I tried Sea Foam FI cleaner - WOW!

Originally posted by dmbuie
I just wonder how I have managed to miss this great product all of these years.
Probably because you don't have a boat. The marine industry has been useing this stuff for decades.

Old 03-11-2004, 08:24 PM
i FINALLY found a can, now which line do i need to use to suck it in? (pics would be nice, if possible )

Old 03-11-2004, 08:48 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Originally posted by Spaceman Spiff
i FINALLY found a can, now which line do i need to use to suck it in? (pics would be nice, if possible )
Be sure the engine is warmed up good before you use it! (let the water temp gauge show HOT). Then, remove the brake booster vacuum hose clip and suck it up the hose...

Old 03-11-2004, 08:55 PM
awesome, thanks!

Old 03-11-2004, 08:56 PM
hmm, so if I was to do this, should I do it just becuase I think it needs to be done or are they any tell tale signs that I should look for?

Old 03-11-2004, 08:57 PM
wait, one more question. how much should i use, the whole can, half can, couple ounces?

Old 03-11-2004, 09:17 PM

wait, one more question. how much should i use, the whole can, half can, couple ounces?
A can is usually 16 ounces. I think the instructions on the can is for 8 ounces. This makes it kind of safe if you have an 8 cylinder engine and 8 ounces is evenly distributed between the 8 cylinders for 1 ounce per cylinder (If we lived in an ideal world). A 5.4L engine has a cylinder displacement of a couple of ounces at top dead center so one ounce in a cylinder should be safe if the seafoam were not to be expelled from the cylinder by evaporation on hot cylinder walls or foaming/cavitation by the heat and mechanical motion of the piston.

I use 8 ounces when I do mine with the engine running and let the vacuum suck up the liquid (Don't try to pour it down the hose with the engine off).

Last edited by temp1; 03-11-2004 at 09:20 PM.
Old 03-11-2004, 09:34 PM
do you just put the hose in the can, or do you pour it out into something else first?

Old 03-11-2004, 10:34 PM

do you just put the hose in the can, or do you pour it out into something else first?
I have done the hose in the can and had it collapse the can. I pour it into a seperate container now. Just be careful not to spill it on any hot places in the engine compartment (like the engine duh!) as I believe the seafoam might be flammable. I hate when I have to spend a few thousand dollars to fix burnt engine compartments. LOL

Old 03-12-2004, 09:20 AM
Yes, by all means, pour it into a separate container first and make sure that your truck is at normal operating temp. I respect the previous posts opinions but it made a world of difference on my truck (2000 F150 XLT, 5.4, 113K miles). I purchased the truck with 93K miles and it has always had this off-idle stutter. I have tried other brands of FI cleaner and it never seemed to cure the problem. I was starting to suspect the TPS but $10 worth of Sea Foam has fixed it.

Old 03-13-2004, 09:36 AM
Does this procedure harm the cats?

Old 03-13-2004, 10:54 AM
I just used this on my 97 5.4L with 81000 miles and to be honest, I haven't really noticed a difference. I used about 6 ounces through the Brake Booster Hose. I slowly poured it into the hose & then turned off the engine and waited about 15 minutes. I'm sure it cleaned something, just not sure what it cleaned. Maybe I need to do another treatment.

What exactly does it clean when you pour through this Brake Booster Hose?

Quick Reply: I tried Sea Foam FI cleaner - WOW!