Finally changed my plugs at 119K on 2002 5.4

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2012, 10:31 AM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
Finally changed my plugs at 119K on 2002 5.4

I had been putting the job off. I wanted to change them myself but was busy and intimidated. I finally did it. It went slow but successfully. It was an exercise in patience, frustration, determination, and ingenuity. It appeared to me looking at the threads that there are about 6 threads (~1/3") that are engaged so I had no qualms about torquing them to 25-30 ft lbs using my calibrated arms/hands like I have always done. I used anti-seize on the threads and dielectric grease on the other end just like always.

I used a plug socket with built in universal on the first 4 plugs and when I got to the back one on the passenger side the socket came off the extension when I pulled it out. Since the female end of the universal falls over I could not re-insert the extension to pull it out. Eventually, I bent the tip of an ice pick and yanked it out. You do not need to use the socket with the built in universal.

I could not start the screws that hold the coils with my fingers on a few of them, so I used electrical tape to tape the screw head to the 1/4" socket and started them with the socket with extension.

I work in FL 800 miles from home. I checked my gas mileage on the way home. (I had taken off a week finally.) The trip is about 90% interstate/turnpike and it got 14.45 mpg. While at home I pumped up the Michelins from 30 psig to 40 psig. That combined with new plugs improved my gas mileage to 16.0 mpg on the way back over the entire trip back. I had the cruise set on 78 mph most of the way. (My truck does have a Superchips program) I am pleased!

The dealer in FL wanted $240 labor to change them and they charge $10 each for the plugs. So, buying the plugs from Advance Auto for about $3 each and doing it myself saved a few bucks. I did it for the education as much as anything else though.

Old 09-26-2012, 11:40 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Glad it was successful! And always nice to have some boost in MPG from something haha

Old 09-26-2012, 11:41 AM
glc
Received 760 Likes on 704 Posts
I used anti-seize on the threads
Why? That's not recommended on the Triton 2V engines. You did everything else right. I hope you used Motorcraft plugs.

Old 09-26-2012, 10:38 PM
Yes, I used the correct Motorcraft plugs.

I also was aware that the recommendation from this board was to not use anti-seize, but I have always used it on plugs that went into aluminum heads and I don't see why I shouldn't use it on these heads especially after I saw how much thread engagement there actually was.

Old 09-27-2012, 03:50 AM
glc
Received 760 Likes on 704 Posts
http://blownoutsparkplug.com/

Please read FAQ's #51 and #52.

Old 09-27-2012, 10:11 AM
Yes, I've read all about the plug blowout issue. The factory manual stating that the plugs should be torqued to 8 ft. lbs. probably had a lot to do with them blowing out.

I think mine will be fine. If one blows out, I'll let you know.

Quick Reply: Finally changed my plugs at 119K on 2002 5.4