05 5.4L ticking noise

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2017, 09:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey guys ik this hasnt been commented on in a while but, I just have to agree with Kong fish, I have a 2004 Fx4 with the 5.4, and it was ticking very loud, like a singular tick as you described and the one in the video. I was about to replace my exhaust manifold but then came across this thread. So i decided to change the plugs because i bought the truck used and didnt know when the last time it had happend. So i bought all the tools and such and the Lisle tool if i broke one just in case. The best way to remove these plugs is to try to burn out the carbon and soften it. Bring the truck up to operating temperature(hot as possible) and while its hot use an impact to pretty much zing off the plugs,not even allowing to break. Fortunate enough for me they had been replaced before with these aftermarket champion plugs, which were one piece. Sure enough my #1 and 3 cylinder plugs were lose as hell didnt even need the impact. Replaced them with the motorcraft sp-515's and sure enough the loud singular tick is totally gone now(Make sure to put nickel anti-seize on the plugs and threads so it doesnt break the next time you replace them and but dielectric grease on the coil tips.). I must add after starting it back up mine truck ran quite rough with the new plugs for about 10 minutes like Kongfish said but after that it ran like a dream, just let the piston get back into the flow of how it was timed to do and burn off all that carbon that has built up. Just my input.

Old 02-06-2017, 10:40 PM
glc
Received 759 Likes on 703 Posts
You should not put dielectric grease on the coil tips, just a thin coat on the inside surface of the boots. That's probably why yours ran rough for a while. Nickel antisieze should be used only on the ground barrel, keep it away from the ground strap over the tip of the plug.

Torque spec for the SP-515's is 25 ft/lb.

Quick Reply: 05 5.4L ticking noise