F150online Forums

F150online Forums (https://www.f150online.com/forums/)
-   V8 Engines (https://www.f150online.com/forums/v8-engines-24/)
-   -   Problem after plug removal! (https://www.f150online.com/forums/v8-engines/475172-problem-after-plug-removal.html)

ShavedBlack07 07-29-2012 04:04 PM

Problem after plug removal!

So a friend was helping me with the removal of my spark plugs on my 06 F150 5.4L. First one we do its a bitch to get off. After its out the threads on the plug were just terrible. Looked like they are cross threaded or something. I guess the person who changed them previously didnt get them in right and striped the threads. Then we thought we would try another one....same problem. Ended up just putting the old one back in and figured I better take it to a shop now. Is the head up now or does it just need to be re-threaded?

Bluejay 07-29-2012 04:58 PM

If the the threads are cross threaded, I would look into Timeserting it.

glc 07-29-2012 05:22 PM

How do you bugger the threads on a 3v?

DYNOTECH 07-29-2012 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by glc (Post 4875844)
How do you bugger the threads on a 3v?

Good question glc..maybe they used an impact to reinstall them the first time.

ShavedBlack07 07-29-2012 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by DYNOTECH (Post 4875937)
Good question glc..maybe they used an impact to reinstall them the first time.

Thats what I was thinking. Its like they didnt hand tighten them first. Plus no anti-seize was used.

glc 07-29-2012 11:50 PM

You don't use antiseize on the threads, but you sure need to use it on the shanks.

guage 07-30-2012 11:17 AM

First thing is when changing plugs on an aluminum head always do it cold engine or you'll take the head threads out with the plug. Also the 5.4L has only 3 or 4 threads in the head ( another brilliant idea from Ford engineers) and they can work themselves loose by themselves which sometimes causes thread damage. This can be repair with a helicoil. If you can't do it yourself there are specialty shops like The Drill Doctor who can do it.

Regards Guage

ShavedBlack07 07-30-2012 11:26 AM

Just took it to a shop where a friend works. They said they will just fix the one I took out and then leave the rest of the plugs alone until they act up and need changed. Big pain and could costs thousands if they did them all and something went wrong

glc 07-30-2012 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by guage (Post 4876247)
First thing is when changing plugs on an aluminum head always do it cold engine or you'll take the head threads out with the plug. Also the 5.4L has only 3 or 4 threads in the head ( another brilliant idea from Ford engineers) and they can work themselves loose by themselves which sometimes causes thread damage. This can be repair with a helicoil. If you can't do it yourself there are specialty shops like The Drill Doctor who can do it.

Regards Guage

You are talking about the 2V engine. The 3V engine is a whole different animal.

Helicoils do NOT work long term - Timesert is the only repair that you can do yourself that will last.