Changed spark plugs now running very rough

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2012, 11:02 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Changed spark plugs now running very rough

I finished changing the spark plugs in my 2007 F-150 (thank god I didn't break any plugs). I installed all the coil packs back in the same position, started up the truck and now it is running very rough. I am not getting any check engine light. Is there a certain amount of time for the computer to reset itself? I have only let it run for about 5 minutes. Is there anything else I need to do?

Old 07-07-2012, 12:04 PM
Recheck

IF it's running poorly, the you missed something. Recheck the injectors electrical connections, Recheck the COP's electrical connections, Check to see that you have all the vacuum lines connected. The final problem is that you might have too much dielectric grease on the actual COP spring. Pull all the cops, clean, grease and pull the spring tips out and clean. Reassemble the COP's

Old 07-07-2012, 03:16 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Hope you used Motorcraft Plugs. If so, yea go over it again, you missed something.

BTW - No coil packs on that truck. You have a COP system, - just coils. How could you not know this???

Old 07-07-2012, 09:04 PM
Originally Posted by jbrew
Hope you used Motorcraft Plugs. If so, yea go over it again, you missed something.

BTW - No coil packs on that truck. You have a COP system, - just coils. How could you not know this???
I think you misunderstood his meaning of coil pack. Technically the COP system is a coil pack it's simply a single coil pack and the multiple coil is referred to as a Coil Tower.

OP I would have to think you either got one of the COP boots not on the plug as they can go down onto the sides of the plug sometimes upon reinstall or you have one of the cop connectors or injector plug connectors off or in the wrong position go back and recheck all terminal connections. And like Jbrew said make sure you are using Motorcraft plugs.

Last edited by Richard D; 07-08-2012 at 01:01 AM. Reason: correct wording
Old 07-07-2012, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by Richard D
I think you misunderstood his meaning of coil pack. Technically the COP system is a coil pack.
What??

No, that's incorrect technically. A pack is plural, meaning more than one. Hence, -coil pack; the part operates multiple cylinders. A COP system use individual coils. Singular, COP; one dedicated coil per cylinder (one part). Therefore, "pack" is non existent with this system.

Nowhere have I found COP systems within Ford literature referred to as coil packs. Coil packs were used on the earlier 4.6L's and 4.2L's. That is where coil "packs" enter and then exit the picture.

COP systems as a whole, are referred to just that, -COP systems.

I'm pretty sure I got it right. As far as HIS meaning, - you may want to go over that again Richard... Yea, -that should be straightened out as well.

Last edited by jbrew; 07-07-2012 at 09:54 PM.
Old 07-07-2012, 11:16 PM
Originally Posted by jbrew
What??

No, that's incorrect technically. A pack is plural, meaning more than one. Hence, -coil pack; the part operates multiple cylinders. A COP system use individual coils. Singular, COP; one dedicated coil per cylinder (one part). Therefore, "pack" is non existent with this system.

Nowhere have I found COP systems within Ford literature referred to as coil packs. Coil packs were used on the earlier 4.6L's and 4.2L's. That is where coil "packs" enter and then exit the picture.

COP systems as a whole, are referred to just that, -COP systems.

I'm pretty sure I got it right. As far as HIS meaning, - you may want to go over that again Richard... Yea, -that should be straightened out as well.
Yes I am fully aware of the plural meaning of pack, what I am saying is many in the automotive field refer to the COP as a coil pack and the we call the multiple coil pack like what is on the earlier 4.6 as a coil tower. Thus not confusing the matter. So I knew exactly what he was referring to since he said packs as in many not a singular COP.

So the way he was referring to all the COP's together they were in multiples. He did not say I replaced each COP he refereed to all of together.

So now instead of being the correct pronunciations **** maybe you can get back to helping him instead of trying to correct everyone's meanings. Sometimes giving people the correct terminology is best left to be done privately in a PM as to maybe not embarrass them in public, especially a noob who you could possibly make not want to come back due to the way you spoke towards him.

Last edited by Richard D; 07-08-2012 at 01:00 AM.
Old 07-07-2012, 11:51 PM

Originally Posted by Richard D
Sometimes giving people the correct terminology is best left to be done privately in a PM as to maybe not embarrass them in public, especially a noob who you could possibly make not want to come back due to the way you spoke towards him.

I disagree, since others may learn the correct terminology as well. Not into privet lessons. Your just confusing the matter more, which is more less ridiculous on your part. If embarrassed (which I doubt), then that's to bad. This is NOT the intention. You think that he may not come back because I corrected him?? Ha, bite me!

I am offering assistance,- as soon as the OP confirms the use Motorcraft plugs. It was left at that. You are offering incorrect terminology, -not all incorrect, but your going outside of what the OP was actually referring to. Of course this is trashing the thread; for what ? That's right, protect his feelings I guess. Must be more to it.

Old 07-08-2012, 02:00 AM
Richy... nice join date.
OP, go back over everything. Sounds like you might have missed something, a hose, connector, something. What shape were the COP boots in? What plugs were used? Did you make sure all the COP's were snugged down and seated properly?

Old 07-08-2012, 08:20 AM
glc
Received 759 Likes on 703 Posts
When you change plugs on a COP system, it's usually a good idea to replace all the COP boots - they are available separately and are relatively inexpensive. If you replaced the plugs on a 3v with anything but OEM Motorcrafts, you HAVE to change the boots, the old boots won't seal properly on the different plugs.

Motorcraft WR6131 boots are $6.10 each at rockauto.com.

Old 07-08-2012, 12:17 PM
Originally Posted by Toyz
Richy... nice join date.
OP, go back over everything. Sounds like you might have missed something, a hose, connector, something. What shape were the COP boots in? What plugs were used? Did you make sure all the COP's were snugged down and seated properly?
Yep, I have been around here for a long time despite the low post count. There are a good amount of us original members that got that join date when something changed many years ago. This site was not as popular back then and I was in and out randomly but active on a different ford truck site. That site went downhill a few years back, Then I got the mustang and spent a couple years at a few Mustang sites but have always been lurking here and just became active again several months ago.

Old 07-08-2012, 01:14 PM
Originally Posted by Scooterdog
IF it's running poorly, the you missed something. Recheck the injectors electrical connections, Recheck the COP's electrical connections, Check to see that you have all the vacuum lines connected. The final problem is that you might have too much dielectric grease on the actual COP spring. Pull all the cops, clean, grease and pull the spring tips out and clean. Reassemble the COP's
Right, if the problem started after the tune-up, something is awry. Check all connections and make sure plugs are tight (not overtight...).
By the way, who cares if he said coil packs? An extra letter (s) doesn't change the fact that he knows what he's dealing with and made sure to hook it back up correctly. I am big on accuracy, but this seems unnecessary. I would assume he knew what he had removed/installed...

Old 08-09-2015, 01:31 PM
I have the same problem, I had someone change my plugs lastnight now my truck is shaking. I hurd I might have to reset my computer and that Auto Zone can do it for me. Is that true?
Originally Posted by slorider
Right, if the problem started after the tune-up, something is awry. Check all connections and make sure plugs are tight (not overtight...).
By the way, who cares if he said coil packs? An extra letter (s) doesn't change the fact that he knows what he's dealing with and made sure to hook it back up correctly. I am big on accuracy, but this seems unnecessary. I would assume he knew what he had removed/installed...

Old 08-09-2015, 02:36 PM
I think everbody under stood what he changed. but I though COP stud for COIL ON PLUG. Wherd PACK or PACKS get started anyhow?

Old 08-09-2015, 03:04 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The early modulars the 4.6 versions had 2 coil "packs" Thats where it came from. They are no longer used by Ford and havent been at all on any motor since 2001 or so. Still once in awhile someone will call a COP a PACk..

Old 01-15-2018, 09:08 AM
Originally Posted by Scooterdog
Thanks for your feedback it solved my problem. My first time changing plugs and cops and I put too much grease on the boots.

Quick Reply: Changed spark plugs now running very rough