looking at engine options

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 09:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
looking at engine options

hows it goin everybody. been a while since i've posted. i'm about to pay my truck off soon, its an 04 fx4 with the 5.4 3v. the engine has the typical cam phaser noise and the timing chains are rattling under certain conditions, and with 180000 miles i'd rather not put $1000 or more into the engine. so 1 option is a jasper or ford reman. but i've been looking at used engines and the 04-08 engines all have alot of miles and cost close to $3000 and some more. i have seen many great deals on the 09+ 5.4s and i was wondering what would be involved with putting one of them in my truck? am i right by saying i just need to use the newer spark plugs and brown coil boots and my stock intake manifold and fuel system?
i havent had much luck searching so thank you with any info.

Old 06-29-2012, 08:07 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Welcome back Matts wondering where you've been. We could use your expertise around here again. I think replacing a 5.4 3v with another 5.4 engine would be pretty straightup. In terms of a Jasper or Ford reman. We used to perform quarterly PV (Production Validation) dyno testing on Jasper and AER (American Engine Remanufacturer) remans at Ford, it was part of the contract they had with Ford for supplying remans to Ford. From my experience both were about as good as the new engines we were testing so I wouldn't be afraid to stick one in my vehicle. I know guys that did and they were happy,they held up just fine during durabilty tests. If I went with a used 5.4 I would want to make sure the sparkplugs were changed with antiseize applied to the electrode shield/ground sleeves (thanks glc) and I would perform that myself no matter what even on the remans. I know you're already aware of that issue. Everything else should just boltup. With your ability I'd go for it it can't be that difficult to swap one out. Take care.

Last edited by DYNOTECH; 06-30-2012 at 08:57 AM.
Old 06-29-2012, 10:01 PM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
I would want to make sure the sparkplugs were changed with antiseize applied to the ground sleeves and I would perform that myself no matter what even on the remans.
Fixed it for ya.

Old 06-29-2012, 10:26 PM
Originally Posted by DYNOTECH
Welcome back Matts wondering where you've been. We could use your expertise around here again. I think replacing a 5.4 3v with another 5.4 engine would be pretty straightup. In terms of a Jasper or Ford reman. We used to perform quarterly PV (Production Validation) dyno testing on Jasper and AER (American Engine Remanufacturer) remans at Ford, it was part of the contract they had with Ford for supplying remans to Ford. From my experience both were about as good as the new engines we were testing so I wouldn't be afraid to stick one in my vehicle. I know guys that did and they were happy,they held up just fine during durabilty tests. If I went with a used 5.4 I would want to make sure the sparkplugs were changed with antiseize applied to the threads and I would perform that myself no matter what even on the remans. I know you're already aware of that issue. Everything else should just boltup. With your ability I'd go for it it can't be that difficult to swap one out. Take care.
thanks man. just been real busy with work and family, and the list could go on and on. my biggest issue was everywhere i searched for engines was saying only 04-08 5.4 can fit in my truck but i looked at the part #'s on jaspers site and the the 09 is the exact same as the 08 but other sites and junk yards wouldnt say it would fit. of course i know for liability sakes they cant say it will because of the few changes. but i just wanted some comfirmation. i know the 3v's were roughly the same. its weird though, i just got off ebay and there are 09/10 5.4s for 2500 shipped to my house with 12000 or 35000 miles and the 04-08's with all the problems are in the 2700-3500 dollar range(before shipping) with 150000 miles or so.

Old 06-29-2012, 11:37 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Junk yards will say its not a swap if its not a striaght up swap no changing manifolds pullys or any thing. I put an 03 2v 5.4 in my truck and the junk yards were telling me it was not doable. I had to change a few easy things.. I'm pretty certain any year 3v 5.4 can be made to swap with another.. minor stuff.

Old 06-30-2012, 08:53 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by glc
Fixed it for ya.
Thanks glc I know better and still wrote it wrong...sometimes I reread my posts and it makes me wonder what planet I was on when I wrote it.....
Keep me inline guys. LOL

Old 06-30-2012, 10:56 AM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Thanks glc I know better and still wrote it wrong...sometimes I reread my posts and it makes me wonder what planet I was on when I wrote it.....
Keep me inline guys. LOL
Same here. At times, an old post will get dragged up that I have to edit. Must have been orbiting the moon or something.

Old 06-30-2012, 12:22 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Actually - I talked with some folks at work in our Maintenance Division who are fastener experts. It seems that applying a very small amount of A/S on the threads does not affect torque readings anywhere near as much as it does if applied to the seat area.

Apparently, the seat is the true 'binding' surface, whereas the threads are not. Hence the degree of affect on torque of lubricating these two disparate surfaces is significantly different.

It's intriguing that almost all plug manufacturers - save for Denso - don't advocate A/S usage. Odd as well that despite the statement to the contrary, Champion still manufactures plug A/S.

I wonder if it's as much a problem/claim avoidance measure as a physical one - most folks don't seem to get the fact that 'more is NOT better' and over-apply the stuff - getting it on their hands, the electrode, the ceramic and on/in the boots. Or using the wrong type. Or both.

For myself -
I have always, and will continue to use a very, very small amount on the first few threads. Too old to change now, lol.

MGD

Last edited by MGDfan; 06-30-2012 at 06:24 PM. Reason: forgot to add Champion, lol
Old 06-30-2012, 01:28 PM
Originally Posted by jethat
Junk yards will say its not a swap if its not a striaght up swap no changing manifolds pullys or any thing. I put an 03 2v 5.4 in my truck and the junk yards were telling me it was not doable. I had to change a few easy things.. I'm pretty certain any year 3v 5.4 can be made to swap with another.. minor stuff.
yea i figured that. thank you.

Keep me inline guys. LOL
i've had alot of those situations in the past. sometimes i'd be sitting here typing thinking i'm a genious and then i reread it and wonder how it made sense before.

Quick Reply: looking at engine options