351W camshaft installation

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2012, 12:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
351W camshaft installation

My first post on this forum!

I've got a '94 351W that I'm building to go into a '94 F150. I got everything back from the machine shop and am beginning assembly.

When I sent the block to the shop, there were a few parts still on it, such as freeze plugs and a few broken bolts. When I got it back, it was completely bare. Excellent machine shop, BTW. If anyone in southern Missouri needs a shop, check out Patriot Racing Engines near Hartshorn, MO.

Anyway, because I still had freeze plugs in the block when I took it in, I didn't see how the camshaft galley was set up in the back near that plug. I'm installing the camshaft first, and as near as I can tell, there's a plug at the back of the camshaft gallery, the cam bearings spaced throughout the block casting, and the thrust plate at the front of the galley. No internal bearings or spacers or anything, and my Chilton's manual would seem to back this up.

So, am I correct in saying that I need to install that rear plug, then install the camshaft and the front thrust plate, and if the camshaft endplay is too much, adjust it by driving the rear plug inwards until the endplay is within spec? Seems do-able, but a tad hack-ish. Any input/advice is welcome!

Old 05-26-2012, 07:39 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You would probably get more responses in the pre-97 forum.

Old 05-29-2012, 01:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You need to check end play with the thrust plate torqued and with the cam gear installed.
(IIRC, it should be .004-.008)

adjust it by driving the rear plug inwards until the endplay is within spec?
Absolutely not.

Last edited by WD40.1; 05-29-2012 at 01:20 PM.

Quick Reply: 351W camshaft installation