How to Rebuild/Build an engine?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2012, 08:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to Rebuild/Build an engine?

Hello super awesome information people. I purchased a 1995 f-150 XLT 4x4 supercab shortbed. Awesome truck, runs great even with 225k miles on it and everything works. Just a little sluggish on power. I am pretty sure it has a 5.0 V8. I know zero about engines or transmissions or anything. I would like to start building a new engine for it. Something with a ton more power (400+ horsepower). A neighbor with an "89 f150 v8 5.0" said he will sell me his engine that runs but he is replacing because it blows oil?" He said $200 bucks. Is that worth it? Will that engine work since I am going to rebuild it anyway? Or am I better off starting with a fresh block? Is that what it's called? A block? What's the difference between a short block and a long block? What's a crate motor? My plan is to start with the block and add on as money allows. There is no time limit, but I would like to have it finished in maybe a couple of years. What kind of transmission is suggested with a 400+ horsepower engine? Does anyone have suggestions or maybe a Step 1-10 process. This isn't a money is no object deal but I don't mind waiting and saving to get the better parts. I would like to have a local mechanic build it and add on as I can afford then install it. Anyone know a mechanic in the Albuquerque New Mexico area who can and will be willing to do this? Thank you in advance for any information or advice any members can provide.

Old 05-27-2012, 02:28 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
First off, welcome to the site.

Now, the information you are looking for on "how to rebuild an engine", is quite a big question. My suggestion is to get a Haynes manual and read,read,read the engine rebuilding section. There is so much to it that you can't be taught on a forum, pointers can be given on specfic items pretty easy though.

If there is an adult education class in mechanics in your area that would be good too.

The difference between a short block and long block can vary depending on who you get it from and what engine you are getting. A short block is everything between the oil pan and cylinder heads, not including the heads and sometimes the pan. A long block is usually everything minus the intake and exhaust manifolds, and may or may not include the water pump.

I would suggest you do a ton of research before you dive head long into this project, just so you know a little more about what you are getting into.

Don't take it that I'm trying to Pee in your Wheaties, this is just a big undertaking. I admire your enthusiasm and don't doubt that you can/will make it happen. But you need a ton of tools and a tad more knowledge before you get started.

Good luck,and BTW nice truck-one of my favorite years.

Old 05-27-2012, 03:56 PM
Jggr.. While he did say "I" want to rebuild the engine, in his last paragraph, he does say that he's wanting to find a mechanic to do the work..

I too was reading that he wanted to tackle this himself..

In that respect, SW, there has always gotta be a first time for everybody! Mine was when my Dad and I pulled the engine out of his old 71 F250 (390) back in the early 80's. It was just an engine swap, but still required a lot of wrenching.. He bought a reman from Ford and we did it in a weekend. He still has that truck with the reman in it!

Next I did a an over haul on my 71 LTD (400) in the early 80's. Pulled the heads for a valve job. Pulled out the pistons and replaced all the bearings. New rings, gaskets, cam, lifters etc.. Ran really good after that! It was only running on 6 cylinders before the over haul.

I helped a buddy swap a 390 into his 1976 F150 4x4 where a dead 360 used to be. Did that in a weekend (and a lot of beer!).

If you are familar with motors and are not affraid to turn a wrench, it can be a fun project!

In your case, It'll be a lot of $$ to try to get 400 hp out of a 302. Better to go with more cubic inches and build for low end torque. What is your intention to do with a 400 hp 302?? Race it? Off road with it? Tow with it?

Now a days, you can buy a built engine online! Swap it in a weekend! You'll also have to deal with the transmission if you want it to live behind a more powerful engine..

My buddy lost his trans a month after the 390 swap! He got it rebuilt and it was fine, but just goes to show that you'll have to tend to the entire drive train if you want to build any serious power above stock...

Good luck with it!

Mitch

Old 05-28-2012, 12:33 PM
My Bad. To clarify, when I said "I want to rebuild" I meant "I want to have someone build an engine for me" I don't think I even own a screwdriver or a wrench.

Old 05-28-2012, 12:42 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
there are thousands of capable machine shops across the country. I would check around. Ask the mustang guys in your area who build engines good. there are also lots of create engine builders who do a good job and from the sounds of your situation that might be the better choice. The pushrod V8's have lots of options as far as building them goes.

Old 05-28-2012, 12:50 PM
Mitch, No intentions at all really, It's my "take the trash to the dump" truck or move furniture or take my motorcycle somewhere (usually to the shop). It's a hobby truck. Since it is not my daily driver I wanted to do some things to it. Once I got the truck to where it was mechanically sound I added a stereo and that has been it so far. Looking to add body lift, suspension lift, wheels and tires, tint, the cool engine and maybe the flat black paint job. By then I will be board and probably move on to something else.

Old 05-28-2012, 06:51 PM
Lots of options for you then.. Heck, you could even drop a 460 in that thing if you so desired...

If you are going budget, but want to build it, than have the 302 'over hauled', since it's still essentially running.. Give it a good valve job, new rings, bearings, cam.. Do all that other stuff you want for looks and add a set of headers and a dual exhaust setup and you'll have a nice little toy for about 5 grand!

Mitch

Quick Reply: How to Rebuild/Build an engine?