4.6L PI Engine Swap

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 12:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4.6L PI Engine Swap

Hello all!

I have a 1998 F-150 NASCAR, Automatic, 4.6L SOHC, Engine Code 6 (Windsor) and Computer Code F0U1.

The truck needs a new engine, and I'm wanting to find some information on swapping in an entire PI Long block assembly in place of the current NPI Engine.

What would be involved in swapping over? From what I can find out so far, I'll have to find a place to put an extra Temp sensor into the PI Intake, and Possibly Swap from using spark plug wires to the coil packs at each spark plug setup.

What about using the PI longblock but using NPI to PI adapter plates (IF I can even find a pair) Would that be worth the trouble. Best I can tell, I may be wrong, but the adapters are the only real option for making it a bolt on job, using the original intake. Am I correct that by using the intake adaptors, to put my current NPI intake on a PI longblock, the swap will be bolt in? would there be any computer mods necessary?

I realize this has been covered a lot, but most of its mustangs and crown vics, and the few F-150 swaps I've found deal with Romeo engines. I don't know how relevant mustang, crown vic and romeo information would be to me, seeing as there are so many variations on the 4.6L. I'd just like to find some info more specific to an F-150 with a Windsor 4.6L NPI.

I'm skilled mechanically, I just don't know much about ford mod motors. Most of my experience is with the old Ford and Chevy Small Blocks.

Thanks guys!

Kenny.

Old 01-17-2012, 04:26 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Its an easy swap. You can use intake adapter plates when installing a non PI intake onto PI heads or PI intake onto non PI heads. Just use the new PI long block and reuse your non PI truck intake using the adapter plates unless you find a complete PI truck engine. Reuse the sparkplug wires and coil packs, use same engine wire harness, same ECM. If you reuse the non PI intake you will already have the second ECT sensor.If you use a PI truck intake then install the second ECT sensor into the heater hose using a brass "T" and hose clamps. Some guys drill and tap the intake manifold, personally I don't trust it as the aluminum is very thin. The "T" works great for me. I believe jbrew has a picture of the one I made and use on my 97 4.6. Your Windsor truck engine crank has 8 bolts a Romeo has 6 so be sure to get the 6 bolt flex plate with a Romeo and they both bolt up to the trans the same. Exhaust manifolds will be different if you get a car 4.6 and oil pan drain location will be as well. Oil filter adapter is another possible r/r. Truck radiator hoses /inlet outlet connections are larger than a car engine so use the old truck filter adapter and intake goose neck on the new engine. The Windsor and Romeo cam covers have different bolt patterns with Windsor using more bolts. Its a very easy swap to do just a few little things that have to be thought out. FYI If you install PI heads on a non PI block the compression ratio will be around 9.7:1 because the non PI pistons are dished. So you may need a tune. I didn't and several of my buddies have the same scenario and no tune was required for them either. But just beware it is a possibility. The best thing is a complete truck PI 4.6 easy in. Good luck.

Last edited by DYNOTECH; 01-17-2012 at 04:40 PM.
Old 01-30-2012, 11:32 PM
I am doing the pi swap currently on my 98 Windsor 4.6l since it is out getting all new forged pistons and h-beam rods. I will be using an expedition pi intake.
I've never heard of the adapter plates that you guys are referring to, anybody have a link or pics???

Old 01-30-2012, 11:53 PM
Originally Posted by lightning_clone
I am doing the pi swap currently on my 98 Windsor 4.6l since it is out getting all new forged pistons and h-beam rods. I will be using an expedition pi intake.
I've never heard of the adapter plates that you guys are referring to, anybody have a link or pics???
You wouldnt need it if you are using PI heads and PI intake manifolds. They are intended for people swapping PI intakes to non PI heads and vice verse.

Old 02-01-2012, 01:36 AM
I understand that I dont need them but a friend of mine is going to be doing the swap this spring. Also why wont a npi intake work? I was just out in the shop assembling my heads and had the old npi gasket so I thew it on. Everything seemed to match up????

Old 02-01-2012, 02:02 AM
nevermind i searched and answered my own ????????????

Old 02-01-2012, 09:14 AM
Non PI and PI heads have completely different port designs, which makes the gaskets different. Non PI has rounded ports as the PI had a more larger square ports.
Which is where the adapter comes in.

Old 02-02-2012, 08:33 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Another option would be to have a pair of npi heads ported and polished with a good valve job and add cams, even the pi cams alone would help or aftermarket cams would be another option. A lot less work and aggravation all around.

Quick Reply: 4.6L PI Engine Swap