Radiator end tank leak @ gasket

Old 12-25-2011, 10:33 PM
MLD
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Radiator end tank leak @ gasket

I've noticed a coolant smell when I'm standing under the opened hood, and now I have found the leak at the end plastic tank / aluminum radiator core joint.

It's right at the bottom, and I was wondering if it's advisable to take it in for a fix or buy new. Radiator is in excellent shape internally and I put this 2 core unit in '05.

I've found accounts online of hammering the tabs in more because of the thermal expansion is what separated these over time, or another thought is the gasket shrinks and a 're-hammer' here will do the trick .

Thoughts?

Thanks

Old 12-25-2011, 11:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've had mine leak there also and just ended up replacing it. I don't know if there are any temp fixes for the issue.

Old 12-26-2011, 10:09 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Plastic tank radiators aren't reparable. You gotta get a new one..

Old 12-26-2011, 12:10 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jethat
Plastic tank radiators aren't reparable. You gotta get a new one..
yes and no. the plastic tank on the end of the tank is not repairable, but there are o rings that seal the plastic tank to the core. I have never attempted to replace them myself but have taken many rads in to have the seals replaced.

Old 12-27-2011, 08:44 PM
MLD
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
OK, I've found an online post with pictures of a DIY fix.

He lifts the aluminum tabs and works it off the tank so as not weakening these tabs....said the fix took about an hour for a side.

It looks a bit distorted and makes you wonder if it's going to work , but once together it looked O.E. It sounds as though the end tank and gasket are sold as a set.

A local shop said, "they got out of this, and no longer do it," and gave me a reference. They said this type of work is "iffy" these days on getting a good job, and recommended the 35 mile drive.

Things are getting more throw away these days.

Btw, I hammered two tabs that were accessible and that happened to be at the leak spot, and it worked for now.

This was a minor leak where the coolant dripped only on shut down when cool,; when hot the expansion would self-seal it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Radiator end tank leak @ gasket