Valvoline NexGen

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2011, 06:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Valvoline NexGen

any opinions on how good valvolines 50% recycled motor oil is?

Old 12-04-2011, 06:38 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Why even mess with it when Motorcraft is so inexpensive and so good? Plus, with MC, you don't have to worry about warranty issues if something does go wrong.

Old 12-06-2011, 12:06 PM
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
The Nexgen is at least a 50% recycled oil which means it's a Gp II+ at worst and more than likely a Gp III. The additive package is just ho-hum. It's not something I would pay a premium for and would be in the same quality range as any other blend. There's no reason to use it and no reason not to use it. FWIW, they have a coupon out for $10.00 off of a 5qt jug that's good thru the end of December. That makes it a pretty decent deal.

There is absolutely no reason to avoid a recycled oil providing it has a good additive package. Any recycled oil usually comes out as a Gp II+ or Gp III base to remove all impurities. They have the advantage in that all of the chain lengths have been broken down in the previous duty cycle and are more stable. Recycled oils got a black eye years back when recyclers were making an oil with a great base but a lousy add package. It has to be a synergistic approach or it doesn't work.

Old 12-06-2011, 06:00 PM
Originally Posted by Bluejay
Why even mess with it when Motorcraft is so inexpensive and so good? Plus, with MC, you don't have to worry about warranty issues if something does go wrong.
Am I the only one that has noticed that motorcraft has risen substantially in the last year. Its getting a lot closer to other syns.

Old 12-07-2011, 08:38 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Where i live NEXGEN is the same price as regular valvoline ,so why chance it.

Old 12-07-2011, 09:15 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by Micheal
Am I the only one that has noticed that motorcraft has risen substantially in the last year. Its getting a lot closer to other syns.
I've noticed that at parts stores, yet , the dealer still charges me the lower price on an oil change.

Old 12-07-2011, 11:49 PM
MLD

In a way.
It's 18 for a jug at my local Walmart.

It was 14 last year there.

Idk how it compares to others in pricing, but it shows great wear( maybe best wear #'s) at 5k OCI according to many oil analysis reports over time.....

Old 12-08-2011, 12:21 AM
Mc5w20

No- price has increased significantly at WalMart and Autozone

Old 12-08-2011, 12:24 AM
NxtGen

Originally Posted by Labnerd
The Nexgen is at least a 50% recycled oil which means it's a Gp II+ at worst and more than likely a Gp III. The additive package is just ho-hum. It's not something I would pay a premium for and would be in the same quality range as any other blend. There's no reason to use it and no reason not to use it. FWIW, they have a coupon out for $10.00 off of a 5qt jug that's good thru the end of December. That makes it a pretty decent deal.

There is absolutely no reason to avoid a recycled oil providing it has a good additive package. Any recycled oil usually comes out as a Gp II+ or Gp III base to remove all impurities. They have the advantage in that all of the chain lengths have been broken down in the previous duty cycle and are more stable. Recycled oils got a black eye years back when recyclers were making an oil with a great base but a lousy add package. It has to be a synergistic approach or it doesn't work.
My thoughts are in line with yours- if rerefined properly there should be a more uniform chain length and it must had a good add package.

Old 12-08-2011, 07:52 AM
MLD
Depending on driving habits and miles driven, an alternate route to tread: Uncle Wally offers Mobil One 5w20( or 30) extended drain - 15k miles - for 30 bucks on the nose.

Advanced auto is offering the "extended" 15k Mobile One filter @ 10 bucks.

That's 6 dollars a quart my friends. Even if you have to dump at 10k that's about a break even with Mc oil & Mc 820s( filter).

Oil for thought.

Last edited by MLD; 12-08-2011 at 07:58 AM. Reason: math
Old 12-08-2011, 09:00 AM
I run valvoline 5w-20 durablend in my 5.4, my dads 5.4, and my moms 5.4 in her e150. When my dad serviced cop cars and tried different oils and the durablend always came back with the best results no matter what car it was in...so i stick with that...thats just me

Old 12-08-2011, 02:15 PM
Originally Posted by MLD
In a way.
It's 18 for a jug at my local Walmart.

It was 14 last year there.

Idk how it compares to others in pricing, but it shows great wear( maybe best wear #'s) at 5k OCI according to many oil analysis reports over time.....
Yeah I noticed mine was just a shade under $19 and last year at this time it was $14.50. Guess word is finally geting out that its good stuff driving the demand up.

Old 12-08-2011, 02:34 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I bought enough for 3 oil changes this time last year in anticipation of the increasse. I'm going to have to buy more next spring I'm out. Sucks. Thinking of buying oil bulk. I change my Van 6 times a year because it idles so much. I bought enough to do it 6 times and am on the last. I'm going to look at buying bulk 20 gallon drums. Some kind of synthetic blend 5-20.

Quick Reply: Valvoline NexGen