2005 5.4, drop in RPM and Stall

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2011, 08:13 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 5.4, drop in RPM and Stall

Ok, so I've read through just about all the posts I can find and I think my problem may be the TPS, but I was hoping some of you early risers may be looking to contribute and confirm:

2005 5.4 is dropping RPM's to near 250-300 and stalling when I put it reverse (from drive) to back into a spot. This has happened a couple of times the past few days, but this morning it dropped RPM and the whole truck started to shudder when I pulled up to a stop sign. No issues with acceleration from a stop or while driving.

I don't get any codes from the OBD and like I said, judging from the other posts it seems like the TPS may be the issue. I thought it would be the IAC, but then someone said that the 2005 doesn't have the IAC.

Could it be the entire Throttle body needs to be replaced? Thanks for taking the time to confirm a question that has probably been asked and answered 50 times.

Old 12-06-2011, 08:34 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Clean the tb and maf with the appropiate cleaners also change the fuel filter......

If the spark plugs have over 60k miles on them that also might be the issue....

Click links>>>> https://www.f150online.com/forums/ar...005-5-4-a.html

https://www.f150online.com/forums/ar...ttle-body.html

Look here for the fuel filter replacement>>> https://www.f150online.com/forums/ar...-articles.html

Last edited by 88racing; 12-06-2011 at 08:44 AM.
Old 12-06-2011, 08:45 AM
Thanks. I changed the fuel filter and plugs about 2 months ago. I'll go ahead and clean the TB and MAF today.

Any thoughts on the TPS being the problem?

Old 12-06-2011, 09:01 AM
I forgot one thing that may important!

The problem first occurred right after I finished towing my boat out for the winter. It drove fine for the 45 miles to storage, but then it began to drop RPM's and stall the next day.

Does this open any other issues up?

Old 12-06-2011, 09:58 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Old 08-25-2017, 11:07 AM
Similar concern

Hey everyone. Long time reader, first time poster. I have a 04 F150 5.4 Triton 3 valve not heritage. Beginning of July I was having transmission issues and I took it to get looked at. Transmission had to be rebuilt and the truck sat for two weeks while repairs are being done. After getting the truck back it ran fine for about a week and a half. I then started to notice RPM issues. The truck would accelerate fine under moderate to heavy acceleration, but under slow steady acceleration after shifting into 4th gear the RPMs would drop way down to between 1000_1200.
​it also feels like it didn't have enough power to accelerate in overdrive and would downshift hard in order to accelerate back up. I took the truck back to the transmission shop and they said they can't find any issue with it and provided me with a needed update from Ford. The PCM was updated at that time. The problem continued. The truck starts and idles fine, but now I am noticing when I go to accelerate it shutters and takes a while to accelerate. It will also shutter slightly under heavy acceleration trying to get on to the highway. I took the truck to my mechanic and he ran all the usual tests and said the only thing he found was misfires. I expected this since it's been awhile since I changed the plugs. I have cleaned throttle body the MAF change the coil packs and replace the fuel filter, oil change with higher viscosity oil, fuel system cleaner but the problem still exists. It also feels like the truck wants to stall when I put it in reverse to back up my driveway with a slight Hill and have stalled once. The RPM's also fluctuate when I come to a stop and when I shifted into reverse at times. There've been no codes displyed throughout all of this and it's started doing intermittently but now it's becoming more frequent . I know the plug need to be changed, but I'm trying to troubleshoot with cheaper alternatives. I've read post everywhere and everybody has different helpful suggestions. I will inspectedFPDM.

​​ My thing that I'm trying to figure out is if this could potentially be the transmission / torque converter before I sink a bunch of money Chasing Ghosts all over the place, and if it could be the transmission how can I persuade the guy
to look at it. I only have a one year warranty on the transmission. We are definitely not in a situation financially to buy a new vehicle, but we both need usable transportation. Thank you for everyone's time
​​​​​​

Old 06-22-2019, 09:56 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey yes it could be your torque converter . Go on you tube type in 4R75W rebuild there is 8 part video and in it he say s if your truck stalls out when coming to a stop or rpm drop to low . The torque converter lockup solenoid can be not letting the motor Disengage , so it’s like having a manual transmission and trying to stop a red light without the clutch This is a classroom style video everything is very clean it’s a gray-haired guy I wish I could help more but he’s very clean as well it’s not the inside of a garage.

The following users liked this post:
Old 06-28-2019, 09:36 AM
Hey, do you also use your wild game VCR as your scope when shooting dear?

Quick Reply: 2005 5.4, drop in RPM and Stall