F150online Forums

F150online Forums (https://www.f150online.com/forums/)
-   V8 Engines (https://www.f150online.com/forums/v8-engines-24/)
-   -   Rough Idle & Surge 2004 5.4 (https://www.f150online.com/forums/v8-engines/451958-rough-idle-surge-2004-5-4-a.html)

azmidget91 10-18-2011 06:42 PM

#1 recommended coil on this site

F1X540 10-18-2011 06:48 PM

Thanks guys!

lukes mobile 10-18-2011 06:59 PM

i also put dielectric on the boot where it meets the head seems to help repel moisture plus if you ever have to pull it again it makes it easier on the way out

azmidget91 10-18-2011 07:15 PM

I never loosened the fuel rail on my 00

54regcab 10-20-2011 06:48 PM

The Ford dealers aren't automatically better, especially on non-current generation vehicles. Around OKC dealers charge about the same price as the larger local shops for service. The small shops are sometimes cheaper. Called a few dealers and local shops about getting spark plugs done, all but one dealer quoted me about $300

F1X540 10-20-2011 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by Gotts2BMe (Post 4703708)
what was the problem?

Vibration at 1100 and 1900 rpms when under load..Over drive. The more load the worse it got..Dealer # one said :can't find anything wrong..2nd dealer said same. But local garage said bull, there are misfires and was COP...

F1X540 10-20-2011 08:08 PM

Ford dealer service centers, BOTH had no clue...The local garage gave me FULL attention . Even went out in pouring rain without me even asking them to.Used ap top like comp, plugged in, started truck and within 5 minutes found misfires.BAD COP.No charge...That's service. FORD charges me $ 95 for same thing and found nothing...
Small garages listen and care. At leased this one did. FORD.. could care less!!!!!!
Even though I know sevice manager...........
Try your local service centers BEFORE going to FORD...My mom was right!
She said don't go to FORD, try local service centers...But I figured FORD would have full knowledge of problems...BOY WAS I WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Bottom line, Mom knows best..LOL!!

F1X540 10-20-2011 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by Need4racin (Post 4703812)
Ford was having a Quaker convention when you came.

haha bad joke.

They were not having ****! Just stupidy..They send the young mechanics with no idea instead of the old timers who know what they are doing.
Everytime I go to dealer they give me the 15 year old "mechanic"
Which is bull. I had a rear u joint replaced, the kid had no idea what to do...He did ended up fixing it after 2 hours...But I'm not sure it was done not done right.
He had 4 mechanics working on it..nuff said...

jethat 10-20-2011 08:49 PM

My experience has been the exact opposite. If I cant figure out the problem I've found I end up saving money if I take it to the dealer. But then I'm pretty good at diagnostics myself. Most small shops are jack of all vehicle joints and dont have the training on Fords that Ford (independently owned and operated) dealer service departments do. There all different so the dealer service dept in you area may be lacking..

F1X540 10-20-2011 09:00 PM

Thse guys knew more about ford crap than freaking dealers and Haynes repair manual. As I said 2 different dealer NEVER thought of a COP,as being the problem. Granted I've had my dealer fix different problems but not this one!
I don't want to start a fight but that's what I Experienced. There are different things as there are stars in the sky...I just found the right one..
Thank you for your opinion

jethat 10-20-2011 09:06 PM

You could have poorly trained dealer techs, or you could have got the rookies or whatever. Its good you got it resolved and all at any rate. Dealer service tech should be able to diagnose a bad coil. I would call the service managers and complain..

F1X540 10-20-2011 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by jethat (Post 4703830)
My experience has been the exact opposite. If I cant figure out the problem I've found I end up saving money if I take it to the dealer. But then I'm pretty good at diagnostics myself. Most small shops are jack of all vehicle joints and dont have the training on Fords that Ford (independently owned and operated) dealer service departments do. There all different so the dealer service dept in you area may be lacking..

As i said, with 2 differnt FORD dealerships I got no where.
The local garage was so informed on ford it was not funny..I was totally Impressed.And they figured out the problem! FACT, when I describe my problem. The FORD serivce guy always get it wrong! Happened more than once, which is why I got ****ed! So don't tell me different!

sam1947 10-21-2011 01:16 PM

That is why these forums exist. It's a good chance the local garage keeps up on things by reading the forums on different vehicles. In many dealerships the 'powers to be' would rather NOT to have a service dep't at all. Most of the money is made in sales, with that in mind some of them won't send their tech's to service schools and are willing to hire kids right out of school for cheap. Some service managers will keep their 'good' techs on money making jobs and leave diagnosing to the newbies. This just one example why some Dealership Service departments have such a bad rep. Not good for some of us that depend on them to help, but, it is what it is. Take a deep breath F1X540, at least you found a good technician outside of the Dealership...You're lucky. Just my .02 1/2

glc 10-21-2011 02:05 PM

In many dealerships the 'powers to be' would rather NOT to have a service dep't at all. Most of the money is made in sales
I'm afraid that's incorrect. The service department and the USED CAR sales are the cash cows, there's no money in new vehicles with everyone refusing to pay over invoice for them!

sam1947 10-21-2011 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by glc (Post 4704226)
I'm afraid that's incorrect. The service department and the USED CAR sales are the cash cows, there's no money in new vehicles with everyone refusing to pay over invoice for them!

Your probably right GLC. This was the way it was 'back in the day', when I was in the business. The Big Boys didn't want to put a dime over what they had to in the service dep't back then. (were talking 35-40 years ago). I just aged the h**l out of me this time...LOL