I have a Tick. Plz Help

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 11:05 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a Tick. Plz Help

So i have another problem. And i have gotten many answers to what the problem is. I have a 2005 f150 king ranch i love it but, there is a problem that has been happening for a while now and i want to fix it. There is a loud ticking noise when i start my truck even when i drive it ticks. Also when it idles it ticks. It is pretty loud and i can here on the inside too. Some people say its my Cats and some say i need a valve job and some say its the lifters. I am asking you guys now. what is the problem my truck has had the oil changed and i just would like to have some idea of what is wrong with it before i go get it fixed also i hope it is not to pricey. thank you

Old 06-01-2011, 11:11 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
The first thing I would do is get the filter off and put a Motorcraft or Purolator filter on there, if it is some other brand. If that is not it, I would check for an exhaust leak. If it is more of a knock rather than a tick, I would think it's possibly the cam phaser.

Old 06-01-2011, 11:25 AM
I had a similar problem with my truck. But it was only when I started it when cold. It would tick about 5 times very loud then stop. The problem was that the starter would stay engaged. I know its another possible problem with yours but I would assume its not since it constantly ticks. Anyway I just thought I would put in my .02 Good luck.

D

Old 06-01-2011, 02:25 PM
Where is the tick coming from? Get a mechanic's stethescope (about $10 at autozone) and narrow it down to a specific point on the engine.

Old 06-01-2011, 04:52 PM
Well im almost positive it is the lifters from what ive been told. Its just ima girl and well i need help with this because i dont know alot about trucks even though i like them. I just want some other options on what it could be that way i wouldnt have to spend so much. I mean i want to get it fixed so if it is the lifters than i guess ill just fix it. Also how much would lifters cost on a f150

Old 06-01-2011, 05:58 PM
start, as bluejay said with the oil filter. if it's anything but a motorcraft oil filter, i would CHANGE IT. refill with the correct amount of oil, then drive it several miles. see if this solves the problem before you throw away your money. in short terms: the engine top-most components, including your LIFTERS may be oil starved due to the bad design of many filter brands, especially the orange ones. if the lifters get no oil, they WILL TICK.

Old 06-07-2011, 03:18 PM
Also, make 100% sure it is a lifter. I just pulled my valve cover off to find out my lifter tick was a loose spark plug.

If it were me, I would:
1. change filter and oil (5w-20 motorcraft)
2. find out exactly where the tick is coming from (with stethascope)
3. if you can narrow it down to a specific cylinder, check the plug in that cylinder
4. if none of the above does the trick, you may have to tear into it...or pay to tear into it.

Old 06-08-2011, 02:31 PM
I had a similar problem.
I thought it was a lifter ticking so i added some slick 50.
Still had it.
It did fix it self though....
It blew out the passengers side spark plug nearest the firewall.
Mines a 03 dont know if they have the same problems with the plugs on your year truck.
But....

tinner

Old 06-08-2011, 02:37 PM
Global Moderator &

Originally Posted by Tinner105
I had a similar problem.
I thought it was a lifter ticking so i added some slick 50.
Still had it.
It did fix it self though....
It blew out the passengers side spark plug nearest the firewall.
Mines a 03 dont know if they have the same problems with the plugs on your year truck.
But....

tinner
No, there is not a blowout problem in these, but a plug could still be loose, or it could be an exhaust leak, and I don't think she has responded on the filter. If it's a Fram, it needs to be removed.

Old 06-08-2011, 03:05 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Modular's dont really have lifters they have cam followers and they almost never fail. I think people complaining of "lifter" noise is pretty funny considering that.

Old 06-08-2011, 03:34 PM
Why are fram filters bad ? thats what i run should i change?

Old 06-08-2011, 03:41 PM
Global Moderator &

Originally Posted by southern2003fx4
Use the Advanced Search feature and enter Fram filters. See how many have come on here with a lout tick or knock at start up that goes away after it gets warm. Fram has a very poor design of the anti-drainback valve that allows it to collapse and not keep oil on top of the engine at start up. There was one or two instances where the filter material got loose and stopped up oil passages. Around here, we call them the Orange Can of Death.

There was an independent study done several years ago that compared filters and there consensus was that they were very poor. Get a Motorcraft, Purolater or Wix.

Last edited by Bluejay; 06-08-2011 at 04:06 PM.
Old 06-08-2011, 03:47 PM
Global Moderator &

Originally Posted by southern2003fx4
I found these two threads quickly, they are the latest.

https://www.f150online.com/forums/v8...p-ticking.html

https://www.f150online.com/forums/v8...-start-up.html

Old 06-08-2011, 03:57 PM
Thnaks im guna change!

Old 06-13-2011, 08:41 PM
Originally Posted by jethat
Modular's dont really have lifters they have cam followers and they almost never fail. I think people complaining of "lifter" noise is pretty funny considering that.
When I went to the dealership and asked for followers and lash adjusters, they were listed in the Ford parts computer as rocker arms and lifters...go figure...

Quick Reply: I have a Tick. Plz Help