Intake Manifold shot coolant everywhere

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2011, 04:20 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Intake Manifold shot coolant everywhere

next to where the hose that goes to the firewall for the heater core there is a little nipple that looks like another hose should go there but when I got it back from the mechanic it looks like he just put a vacuum fitting cover over it and recently it blew off and shot out all of the coolant. So I was wondering what would go there or what to replace the cap with.

Here is a picture of said spot:

The trucks info is this

4x4
automatic

Old 05-29-2011, 11:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Never seen that before... weird. Does it look original? Maybe someone tapped into the crossover for something. What was the mechanic doing with it? Crappy part will be cleaning it up. I would make the mechanic do it. And hope your cop's arent wet.

Last edited by Toyz; 05-29-2011 at 11:49 PM.
Old 05-30-2011, 12:11 AM
Can any one post a pix of their intake manifold in that same spot

Old 05-30-2011, 12:57 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
No, not until you answer questions from people trying to help you. Your not paying us, so it's the least you can do. Yuh think?

Old 05-30-2011, 03:16 AM
sorry jbrew and Toyz I was responding from my phone and I know it is not an excuse but anyways here is the answers:

it looks like it might belong in that is does not look like anything was drilled out and the hose for the heater core is the same one that was there before. The mechanic was supposed to have replaced the intake manifold after it cracked at the crossover. I have already cleaned it up it was not so bad I just used a water hose without a nozzle and then I let it dry and started it up for a little bit and drove it up and down to the corner of my street hitting 25 miles an hour and it did not feel like it was missing like the last time water got in the engine when my dad washed the engine with a pressure washer.

If you want to know anything else let me know and I will answer to the best of my knowledge and I will also take a few more pictures from different angels to see if anything looks somewhat familiar to someone.

Old 05-30-2011, 04:38 AM

Phone are a PITA to work with IMO lol.

It's for a bypass to the plenum. That would be my guess because I've never seen one there. It may be a add-on for a gauge or sensor, but I doubt it.

Yea, A vacuum cap alone isn't sufficient for a coolant plug. Sometimes those by-passes get deleted when their not compatible w/plenum on that model.

But coolant lines use to run from front to back. Feed thru the plenum then back into the heater core line. A long 1/4" heater line w/pressure connectors.

Wait a minute, that's 2002 lol. Yea, it's a deleted by-pass, but it was for the old PCV valve set ups. I think they only used that system in 2002. Anyway, - it's a cold climate system for the PCV. Kept it from freezing up in the winter. Just plug it back up, but use a clamp.

Old 05-30-2011, 09:44 AM
Originally Posted by jbrew
it's a cold climate system for the PCV. Kept it from freezing up in the winter. Just plug it back up, but use a clamp.
That was my original guess but edited it out. Can't believe there was just a rubber cap over it.

Old 05-30-2011, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by Toyz
That was my original guess but edited it out. Can't believe there was just a rubber cap over it.
Yea, but that's what they used on those. Not so much the rubber caps, but the actual rubber 1/4" heater hose by-pass just slides over a coolant stem like that and it's just spring clamped. - Uknow, those PITA clamps you have to squeeze together to remove lol.

Old 05-30-2011, 10:02 AM
I got a wicked story about those clamps. Just recently ran into an old friend who builds cars. He lost an eye from one of those clamps. Had it clamped shut with pliers and was about to slip it over the hose when it kicked sideways and came out of the pliers, flung up and hit him in the eye. Split his eye right down the middle. When I saw him, they had about 40 stitches on the front part around the edge trying to hold his eye back together in hopes of saving it after the 3 surgeries he had. Not looking good though. He actually told me that his eye "popped" and oozed fluid down his face and got into his mouth while he was driving to the hospital. Said he was gagging so bad, couldn't see and almost crashed on the way there. Nasty.... First Ive heard of that.

Back on the subject. So if he has the 02, they must have bypassed the cold climate system.

Old 05-30-2011, 10:18 AM

Damn, I never have safety glasses on working with those clamps. I'll be thinking twice the next time.

User torkum has a good picture in this forum of how they wrapped the PCV with those in 02, -if I can find it.

Yea, right here (that was easy lol)

https://www.f150online.com/forums/v8...aterlines.html

Old 05-30-2011, 01:25 PM
Is there anyway to just remove it completely because that seems like a pretty big weak point in the engine if I am just to slide a hose over it and clamp it shut

Edit: NVM it looks like it is part of the crossover, I guess I am going to have to either find a stronger way to cap it or find out where it went back into the engine

Last edited by Stephen87; 05-30-2011 at 01:56 PM.
Old 05-30-2011, 02:39 PM

Well, like I said, it goes front to back. You can't see where it connects to the back without pulling the manifold. It runs to the heater core hardline. The hard line that sits on top of the block cavity and begins at the water pump (right behind) and ends behind the passenger side head. That line taps by the firewall and under the manifold.

You need the right clamps. That band clamp in the pic is the wrong kind AND it's the wrong size lol. So regardless of what you do, your going to have problems using the wrong clamps.

Also, that fitting in the cross over pulls right out with a couple twists. Then you can thread in a plug after tapping w/pipe thread tap. But, like I said, the right clamp will fix it. JMC posted a picture with right clamps in the link on page one. Or you can purchase expansion clamps that are made for heater hose. They're a 7mm head clamp that requires low torque and expands with heat. It has a little tensioned band built in. I have a pic of some I picked up from ORiely's -

Yea, they're solid clamps and won't cut into rubber.

Old 05-30-2011, 03:53 PM
Well I guess since it will be easier I will go for the clamp fix once more(with the proper clamps) and if that fails then I will remove that thing and put a plug. But thanks for all the help y'all have provided

Old 05-30-2011, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by Stephen87
Well I guess since it will be easier I will go for the clamp fix once more(with the proper clamps) and if that fails then I will remove that thing and put a plug. But thanks for all the help y'all have provided
Sounds good. And if that's a weak point, - hell you got an even bigger weak point right next to it lol. The only difference is, it has the correct clamp on it. Those are the best if you can find automotive grade in the correct size.

Quick Reply: Intake Manifold shot coolant everywhere