1998 Ford Expedition Triton 5.4 V8 Need Advice

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 06:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 1998 Ford Expedition Triton 5.4 V8 Need Advice

Just got this truck and got totaly screwed. After the first oild change it has a bad bottom bearing knock to it from what it sounds like. Leaks a quart of oil every few days, antifreeze is dirty looking. It has 154.000 on the odometer but supposedly had the motor done and only had 65,000 on it. Well obviously that was a lie. Anyway, I like the truck, and paid too much to lose. So I want to go ahead and put a new motor in it, reman. I waqs wondering if anyone could reccomend a good place, and was also wanting a TURN KEY motor, not a long block, or is Long Blocks the only way to get Remans???? I was also going to have the Tranny Rebuilt. This way I know for myself that everything is in new condition. Any advice would be appreciated.

Old 03-16-2011, 07:37 PM
Got a pick-a-part place near you?
can you do the motor swap yourself?

If so the motor is a few hundred with a warranty from one of those places.
Reman will be significantly more

Old 03-16-2011, 08:46 PM
No I cant do it myself, and Id feel better if it was a reman, was just looking for advice on where to get one and if i should go long block, or is there somewhere I can get a turn key without having to pay someone to swap all the parts to a long block

Old 03-16-2011, 10:08 PM
Used low mileage engine can be had for about 1200 bucks or cheaper. If you find one the same year as yours from a truck, it's a direct swap. If you find one of different years or possible different vehicle, there are some minor parts/accessories to switch over. Jbrew has a place that searches all the nearest areas based on zip code for the best deals but I forget what the website it, maybe he will chime in. If your on a budget, it's the best option. A reman will run you twice that, and require shipping plus a core charge. Youll be looking at 4-5k to have a shop do it start to finish on a good day. Or you can find a family member, friend or anyone you know with mechanic skill and have a low mileage engine swapped out in 2 days. Or, grab a cherry picker and we'll walk you right through it.

On a side note, where it is leaking oil from? Describe that knock your talking about....? Could be something simple like an exhaust leak at the manifold. Can you hear it at idle? Warm or cold make a difference? How about when you rev it...
154k on these engines is nothing. But, the wrong care and Ive seen them go bad before 100k.

Last edited by Toyz; 03-16-2011 at 10:17 PM.
Old 03-17-2011, 01:07 AM
I dont know where the oil is leaking. The knock is in the lower part of the motor from what it sounds like, when I rev it its not as noticable. It also ticks when it gets almost a quart low. Then when we just got alot of snow, I got stuck and went to use the 4 wheel for the first time and it makes the noise when you turn the switch on the dash, you here a clunk and feel the truck jerk a bit but no power to the wheels. Its an XLT not an Eddie bower. As far as money I may be getting some, enough to afford a reman if thats a better choice. Just want to make sure whatever I do it lasts. I switched to synthetic oil as well. When I changed the oil the oil lines looked wet with oil, havent looked again though. As far as the 4 wheel someone told me to check the vacuum lines and I have no idea where to find them and have checked everywhere. I'm In Choconut Pa I paid 4800 for this not even a month ago. It had HID's remote start, backup camera with monitor in rear view mirror, dvd, rear tail lights and front were changed to euro lights, and has a custom stereo. Now the check engine light came on yesterday, and the ABS light has been on since I bought it.

Last edited by flossydana; 03-17-2011 at 01:10 AM.

Quick Reply: 1998 Ford Expedition Triton 5.4 V8 Need Advice