TX inspection station "ran out" of stickers-waiting days after paid

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 09:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TX inspection station "ran out" of stickers-waiting days after paid

This is a TX vehicle inspection issue - don't know where exactly to post it. This is a 1st for me in 40 yrs of inspections.

Got my truck inspected well over week ago. Everything passed except headlight lenses needed polishing. Course, you have to pay inspection fee - so you're tied to that inspection station to get it reinspected for free w/in 15 days.

Polished lenses & went back 2 days later. Owner / inspector said "they ran out of inspection stickers." I thought he was kidding. He said probably would get them in (last Friday). They didn't. Not today either.

I assume he'll get some before the 15 day period, but in mean time have no valid inspection. Current sticker is way past 5 days after it expired (grace period). I had him write / sign a note on orig inspec. printout, & a cop in good mood might let me slide under the circumstances, but another one might not.

Anyone ever run into this? If the guy's not going to get more stickers soon, can I ask him to refund my $, & get it inspected somewhere else?

Old 03-07-2011, 09:28 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Never had that happen before. I don't see how the guy took your money when he couldn't finish the service he provides.

Old 03-08-2011, 10:19 AM
TX law allows inspectors to charge for the inspection even if didn't pass. Under law, only allows 15 days to correct ANY problems, to get free re inspection. Technically, after 15 days, have to pay for another inspection - even at same shop. In my county (if they did another FULL inspection), costs $39xx.
Honestly don't know if after 15 days, they'd charge only for part of test (emission or safety) that failed, or whole test.

Old 03-08-2011, 12:29 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I wouldn't worry about it.
A cop would have to be a total azz to give you a ticket for that...lol

I ran my truck for 11 & 1/2 months on dead tags. Never got pulled over.

Phil

Old 03-09-2011, 10:45 AM
They give you a print out of the vehicles passing report. Make him do it even without the sticker to CYA for right now.

Old 03-09-2011, 04:55 PM
Contact the Texas Department of Public Safety on what to do. They are the ones who provide the stickers for the inspection stations.

Old 03-11-2011, 04:43 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am going on 3 years for mine, the only way I figure that they will pull you over and ticket you for it is if you are getting a ticket for something else

Old 03-12-2011, 02:23 PM
I've gotten a ticket for out of date sticker... Although I was pulled over for something else - Failure to signal lane change. Also My B-I-L got pulled over just for the expired sticker - nothing else. I was in the car then, too. Maybe I am just bad luck... LOL

Old 03-12-2011, 03:11 PM
Had problems getting a tag for mine. Every time I would go they said they ran out. First it was DPS had problems with their system, then it was something about they were cracking down on places due to incorrect procedures for inspecting. Sounds like if its DPS fault, the police would cut you some slack, but I wouldn't count on it.

Old 03-14-2011, 09:11 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by Micheal
They give you a print out of the vehicles passing report. Make him do it even without the sticker to CYA for right now.
but that printout can only be printed after you enter a valid sticker number. No stickers, no printout.

I would contact the store manager ahead of time and let him know you're already unhappy with the situation, and you will not be happy if you have to pay another 40 bucks to get it inspected after your grace period.

FWIW i dont recall seeing anything about polishing headlights has to do with the inspection. They would have to be very very very cloudy for me to even think about trying to fail it. Even then its a grey area.....

All head lamps will be inspected for and rejected if:
a. Lamp or lamp assembly is not securely fastened to the vehicle.
b. Lamp is improperly connected and does not light the proper filament for different switch positions.
c. Lamp lens is cracked, broken, discolored, or missing. (Exception: Composite or halogen-type lamps will not be rejected for being cracked, unless the reflector material inside the lamp is discolored or deteriorated.)
d. Lamp is not of a type meeting Department standards.
e. Wiring insulation is worn, rubbed bare, or shows any evidence of burning, short circuiting, or poor electrical connections.
f. Lamp lens is rotated, upside down, canted, or is marked "Right," "Left," #1 or #2 and not appropriately installed.
g. Lamp fails to function properly in any manner.
h. Lamp has dirt or any contamination or discoloration inside or moisture except condensed moisture in composite head lamps non-seal beam halogen lamps.
i. Lamp switch or dimmer switch does not operate properly and is not convenient to the driver.
j. Foreign material placed on head lamp lens, such as shields, half of lens, paint, tape, etc., that interferes with the light beam of the lamp.
k. Vehicle is not equipped with head lamps as required.
l. Lamp can be moved easily by hand, due to a broken fender or loose support.
m. Lamp is missing.
n. Lens is other than clear (white).o. Any filament in head lamps fails to burn except composite lamps with more than one bulb when both upper and lower beam burn when selected.
p. Wiring is dangling or connections are loose.
q. A good ground is not made by the lamp mounting.
r. Lamp is mounted on vehicle more than or less than prescribed mounting heights.
s. Head lamp is covered by any lens or cover located in front of the head lamp which is any shade or color other than clear.
t. There is physical damage that would obviously cause a headlight beam to fail to illuminate the roadway ahead of the vehicle sufficiently.
like i said it would have to be really dark yellow for me to fail it. Like the old dodge neons did

Old 03-14-2011, 11:51 AM
glc
Received 759 Likes on 703 Posts
After reading what Patrick said, I'm a bit suspicious. You may want to check with the DPS to see if that station's inspection license is valid. If they dinged you for cloudy lenses, they may be under investigation for passing vehicles that shouldn't pass.

Old 03-14-2011, 12:18 PM
Originally Posted by glc
After reading what Patrick said, I'm a bit suspicious. You may want to check with the DPS to see if that station's inspection license is valid. If they dinged you for cloudy lenses, they may be under investigation for passing vehicles that shouldn't pass.
That's what I was thinking too.

Quick Reply: TX inspection station "ran out" of stickers-waiting days after paid