99 Expedition V10 Swap!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2011, 01:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thats what the Fram is for. The first 100 mile oil change,then another at 500, and then the good stuff goes on. As far as Pats goes, it is something i want to keep if at all possible. Then again, i do want to do some tunning. What are my options here. I know that the easy way is to go to the dealership and get it flashed quickly. But, with that price, i could do it myself and bump up some efficiency and HP. What programs do you all know of, and what works the best. Also, what are the price ranges of these tuners?

Thanks in advance

Old 03-27-2011, 02:38 PM
do you have to deal with smog in CA or are you exempt because you are military? if you are smog exempt I think the guys are right, custom tune it for more power and turn the PATS off. You will save yourself a huge headache! I kept the PATS system on mine because I have to pass ca smog so I need it to run on a stock tune, but if that wasnt the case I wouldnt have bothered. you said you are using the v10 pcm, but what about the cluster & ignition? if you are using your original parts except the computer hopefully the dealer can reprogram or flash to make it all work together, BUT who knows if that computer will work happily with your cluster...

Old 03-27-2011, 02:51 PM
I haven't quite figured out if the pats system must have the same cluster as the computer. I believe i can flash the pcm and it will Relearn the new setup. I don't quite know yet. I plan to call ford on monday to get some info. Depending upon price we'll see which way i go. I am exempt from smog in CA, but i will be getting out in 2 years, so it will need to pass CA smog eventually. I would love to keep pats and be smogable in ca with a custom tune. Anyone know of a tunner thats capable?

Old 03-27-2011, 03:35 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by trav2210
I haven't quite figured out if the pats system must have the same cluster as the computer. I believe i can flash the pcm and it will Relearn the new setup. I don't quite know yet.
Don't think so!
The cluster ,keys and PCM have to match up.
There's no such thing as relearning the new setup.
Only way is to program the PCM to match the cluster and keys.

Old 03-27-2011, 09:39 PM
ya I was able to keep the pats functional because I just used the complete pats system from the running donor f150, unfortuneately I dont think you have that option here, and I dont think you could use a cluster from any vehicle that came with a v10, so that is probably going to be the biggest headache you will have to deal with unless ford can reprogram the v10 pcm to function with your expy cluster & keys, but thats assuming they are compatable. Its been awhile since I read camdenlake's thread but do you know what he did to get around this?

Old 03-28-2011, 12:08 AM
Hopint to find out if my setup is compatible with the PCM. If i can, i will have the dealership set me up, but if cost is too much, here comes the custom tune with pats and egr removed. Will be calling ford in the AM.

Still hoping someone will chime in on some good tuning software.

Heres some progress pics. Oh and i forgot, the AC compressor actually didn't require any modification. Once i got the engine in the correct place with the transmission bolted up, it gave enough clerance to clear the compressor.

Old 03-28-2011, 12:19 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Old 03-28-2011, 02:45 AM
I dont mean it if I hijack this thread but just out of curiosity is there a roots style supercharger for these v10s also if there are are there any forged rebuild kits to get for this engine to make it stronger and also will it mate to a zf5/6 transmission

Old 03-28-2011, 04:01 AM
I can answer the last question. You have to get a ZF5/6 from behind a 5.4 or 6.8 for it to bolt up. You can't use a diesel one.

But to the OP looks great man!! Hope you get it all figured out and I can't wait to see the final pictures and hear it running. Might have to make a trip down and visit once I get back from my deployment.

Old 03-28-2011, 10:27 AM
Just heard back from Ford garage and its 115 to reflash the pcm. Not sure which way ill go

Old 03-28-2011, 10:37 AM
That's pretty cheep!
That will get you going with your PATS still working.

A tuner without a custom tune(just the can tune) would cost you $350. to $400.

Good info.
That gives me an incentive to put in my L cluster and have the PATS reset.
I turned off the PATS when I put in the Lightning computer.

Phil

Old 03-28-2011, 11:42 AM
would I be able to do the swap in my truck that has no pats stock just make sure I have the harness and tune my computer or would I need to get the computer out of donor car and get pats turned off or working(I only ask because I have no idea what I would need to get to make PATS work), and also without pats is it possible to use a lightning gauge cluster with a digital display with a 97 computer)

Old 03-28-2011, 11:59 AM
Looking at your pictures, do you have the heater hoses hooked up right? I know 97-99 had a hose connected at the passenger rear side of the intake manifold and the other one goes to the tube in the valley. In 2000 - 2003 5.4's changed to a plastic manifold and instead of a heater hose going to the passenger rear side of the intake they changed it to the passenger front of the intake (like I see on your V10). What I'm wondering is: I can see that the curved hose that went on the rear of the original intake is not hooked up, and the hose that looks like it went to the tube in the valley is connected to the front of the intake, is this reversed? Also did you eliminate the heater hose going back to your auxiliary heater for the rear heater? I may be wrong in this, but I'd rather point out what I am seeing rather than not say anything at all. You don't want to start it up, have a hose pop off, and having a stream of coolant shooting everywhere.

Old 03-28-2011, 01:52 PM
no, its just temporary. i have to move them around to get the wiring harness in so thats why it looks like that. Good point though. I am keeping the rear heater/AC. I might end up making some better hoses to fit a little cleaner. On that note, i had to cut down the upper and lower radiator hoses to get them to fit a bit better. I guess that makes sense when your engine is 4 inches longer than before!!!

Old 03-28-2011, 06:12 PM
Ive got to pick up another Electric fan soon. The first i bought at the local parts store. 16" 1500CFM unit. I will need to get another to be able to cool this thing down. they will fit perfectly side by side on the Radiator. Not sure if i will be able to fit the shroud back on, but not too big of a deal when the fans will cover the entire radiator.

Quick Reply: 99 Expedition V10 Swap!!!