1990 F-150 spins & fires but dies when key is released

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2019, 04:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1990 F-150 spins & fires but dies when key is released

Hi.
My truck has been sitting about 5 years & ran when parked. I put a battery in it & it spins & fires but dies immediately when the key is released, as though the ignition were turned off.
There is no apparent power to blower, radio, wipers or gauges in the "on" or "accessory" key positions. The headlights, horn, lighter, dome & signals work, & the gauges/idiot lights come to life only in the "start" key position.

I'm thinking the ignition switch is bad. Is there an easy test? Otherwise, what is the likely culprit?
Any wisdom much appreciated.
Thanks!

Old 09-13-2019, 05:59 PM
Update:
I tried to start it again & for a second the blower came on (!) then the key went limp. It now has no resistance when trying to start, doesn't engage the starter & won't come out of the switch..
Oh joy.

Old 09-13-2019, 07:19 PM
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
So you know, the key is NOT in the ignition switch. The Ignition Switch is on the steering column just below the dash. You can have several things wrong to get the items you described. Most normally, the ignition switch, which is 2 parts glued together and pinned, has come apart. If it has never been swapped out, it's over due. Another thing that can be an issue, and you want to pray it isn't, the linkage from the key to the ignition switch is made of crap, pot metal and breaks. If that's the problem, save the hair and have somebody fix it. The entire steering column has to come apart. That means the steering wheel, column bearings, the turn signals, horn, column shift ring, etc all has to come out. Then you have to adjust the switch to the new linkage or the thing won't start or do anything or you end up right back where you are now only with new parts that are out of adjustment.
Now, to remove the key, look on the side of the steering column, at the key. You'll find a little hole in the steering column. Using a paper clip, stick the clip in the hole and remove key and it's components. It comes out as one piece.

The following users liked this post:
Old 09-14-2019, 06:09 PM
Thanks Labnerd!
I got the key & cylinder out & I believe it's okay.
How do I determine the culprit now?

If it matters, my truck is automatic without tilt..

Last edited by bodinski; 09-14-2019 at 06:15 PM.
Old 09-14-2019, 08:41 PM
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
Look under the dash for the ignition switch. Just follow the steering column down and it's right at the bottom of the dash mounted on the steering column. It's a black/white box. If it feels like it moves or if it has totally come apart should be pretty obvious. There are 2 bolts that hold it to the steering column if you just want to take it off. BUT, it does require alignment or the switch won't engage right due to the neutral switch has to be in alignment with the ignition switch or nothing happens- no starter, no start.

The problem here is that the white plastic shown in the pic, comes loose from the pot metal base. Inside, the contacts slide sideways and crosses the ignition points. Because there is now too much clearance in the switch, the contacts don't move. NOTE, the slots in the mount are for the adjustment.
And just for fun, here's the part you want to pray is not broke. This is the ignition switch actuator. This requires the entire steering column to come apart.

To adjust the ignition switch, have someone turn the key to the start position. Move the switch until the starter engages. Lock it down with the bolts and retry it. You MIGHT have to do a minor adjustment.
Here's a pic of it on an 88 F150 but yours is almost identical.

Last edited by Labnerd; 09-14-2019 at 08:44 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Old 09-21-2019, 01:30 PM
Bingo - the switch is in pieces. I swapped it out & she fired right up.
Thanks very much, Labnerd!

Last edited by bodinski; 09-21-2019 at 04:23 PM.

Quick Reply: 1990 F-150 spins & fires but dies when key is released