Old 04-13-2015, 02:22 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
5.4L Misfire

Misfiring can be caused be many issues. Fuel filters seem to be the leading cause. Find out what other issues your truck may have to be cause these problems

Helpful Advice
Print Wikipost

5.4L Misfire/Hesitation Issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2011, 08:01 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by zr600
theft lite was blinking while driving home from work?
Hey man, you probably don't know this, that's alright. This is called thread steeling or crapping lol. That's because it's Bigwheel's thread. He started this one and if what you have doesn't pertain directly to topic problem, it's inconsiderate to post yours. Like I said, I can tell your just unaware, no problem, but you should start your own thread. - You'll get much better and more info doing so.

BTW- Welcome to the site.

Old 01-21-2011, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by Toyz
I think you hurt his feelings with some comments in regards to his poor choice of product selection. He's just one of those people who doesn't like to be told the hard way what works and what doesn't. His response toward you with the personal crap was childish though. I had a lot to say back, but decided to hold off and try to stay on topic.
Good deal, I think glc filled him in with his post. Not sure if will listen tho lol.

Oh, no offense to the "old rooster" reference lol... the meaning was meant more like a wise man.
Nice save.

Anyway, I think your right, if he's tried everything he has posted and can't get rid of the random misfires popping up, might be time to take it in and look at a pcm issue.
Yea, I'm not sure what else it could be. Workshop/Service DVD has Check PCM as part of diagnostics/routine, so it's on the list.

Old 01-22-2011, 05:44 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jbrew as i explained in post #51 i told bigwheel not out to take his thread but i do have the same problem as him as well as same truck 2002 5.4. i asked him and you as well if it is safe to be running the truck in this shape do to caytilac converter? and i posted #87 to see if his theft light was blinking to maybe it has something to do with the problem. not out to steal his thread just trying to get information to help figure it out. i am sorry

Old 01-22-2011, 07:23 AM

So Bigwheel's theft light is blinking while driving and he has bad converters as well. I must have missed those (?)

Old 01-22-2011, 10:16 AM
no you missread the post. in manual it says running with a missfire will damage the caytilac converters and he said he smells gas when truck is running. then i stated that mine does have the theft light blinking while driving he did not post after that.

Old 01-22-2011, 10:30 AM
jbrew & his boy Toyz

your great advice is to tell others how wrong they are and that they make poor choices and there poor skills under the hood may be the problem...or I am my trucks worst nightmare...but I am childish/little girl...lol...

not to mention you guys offer no advice on a spark plug replacement...
all you do is say what crap I buy
and do either of you on a 04-08 5.4l 3v???...
I have for over 3 years and did all the work on my truck myself...brakes...banks exhaust...cai...3" lift/level...armor bedliner...tinted tails...bushwackers...oil...filters...

so have you even had spark plug issues or had to remove a seperated plug...I have...

I don't care what you do in your spare time...
just want others taking advice from you to understand that just because you spend all your spare time posting on here and you own a 13 yo f150 does not make you any kind of expert...
and any info you put out there for others to see is "public" for the "public" to do with as they choose...but I have no clue...

also...I have no problem with being told I make poor choices...but after I admit it wasn't the best choice I (most people) would prefer to get helpful info on a better choice...
not mindless ripping on what an idiot I am for doing so wrong...

If you can sit there waiting for us to post only so you can tell us how wrong/dumb we are and then your expert advice is to tell us to take our trucks in for service after calling me childish is like the pot calling the kettle black...

I hope all who read this and choose to take your advice do so with a bit of caution!!!

Old 01-22-2011, 10:53 AM
Wow you seem like quite the wrencher. You did your own cai and brakes....

Old 01-22-2011, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by Intimidator317
jbrew & his boy Toyz

your great advice is to tell others how wrong they are and that they make poor choices and there poor skills under the hood may be the problem...or I am my trucks worst nightmare...but I am childish/little girl...lol...

not to mention you guys offer no advice on a spark plug replacement...
all you do is say what crap I buy
and do either of you on a 04-08 5.4l 3v???...
I have for over 3 years and did all the work on my truck myself...brakes...banks exhaust...cai...3" lift/level...armor bedliner...tinted tails...bushwackers...oil...filters...

so have you even had spark plug issues or had to remove a seperated plug...I have...

I don't care what you do in your spare time...
just want others taking advice from you to understand that just because you spend all your spare time posting on here and you own a 13 yo f150 does not make you any kind of expert...
and any info you put out there for others to see is "public" for the "public" to do with as they choose...but I have no clue...

also...I have no problem with being told I make poor choices...but after I admit it wasn't the best choice I (most people) would prefer to get helpful info on a better choice...
not mindless ripping on what an idiot I am for doing so wrong...

If you can sit there waiting for us to post only so you can tell us how wrong/dumb we are and then your expert advice is to tell us to take our trucks in for service after calling me childish is like the pot calling the kettle black...

I hope all who read this and choose to take your advice do so with a bit of caution!!!
The OP has 2 valve buddy. I didn't call you any names, you handled that one

Old 01-23-2011, 05:09 PM
I've got to admit reading back through this topic is making me laugh. I came to this forum to learn. Some have taken the time to teach, others offered suggestions while others simply impathized with what's going on. All good stuff. Then there are those few that always seem to find a way to be critical and feel some need to put others down. What a complete waste of time and energy.

Just for the record I have already taken the truck to a well qualified, experienced, lifelong mechanic. I've also spoken to two other men who are well known locally for their mechanical know-how. So far all three are stumped. We've and or they have run all kinds of tests on this truck. Parts have been replaced, etc, etc, etc. and still no solution. I thought maybe, just maybe, if I kept coming back here someone might hit the jackpot but unfortunately that hasn't happened. In the meantime my truck is going back in the shop this week and we will start all over.

Finally, as of this post I am officially out of this discussion. It is obvious that I've received all the constructive insight and help I'm going to get. In all sincerity thank you so much for your help. We'll figure it out from here.

Old 01-24-2011, 01:02 AM

So we let you down, -now your going to be a ***** and not update the thread. Nice, - G thanks man, that's makes allot of sense.

Yea, good luck with that.

Old 01-24-2011, 10:26 AM
My 05 is doing what sounds like the same exact thing. Checked the plugs and COPS's and nothing. Just droppped it off at Ford this morning. Will keep you updated as to what they come back with.

Old 01-24-2011, 11:38 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
OK Totally off the wall here, but, Could what your hearing as a misfire be a Phaser tick..
I know mind show a misfire and runs like crap below 1200 and when under load is runs like crap..

Just a thought...

Old 01-24-2011, 01:48 PM
Originally Posted by Woodiedl
OK Totally off the wall here, but, Could what your hearing as a misfire be a Phaser tick..
I know mind show a misfire and runs like crap below 1200 and when under load is runs like crap..

Just a thought...

The OP has a 2v 5.4L, which doesn't have phasers. And it looks like we won't know what the outcome was for his issue. He packed his bags

Old 01-24-2011, 05:38 PM
I just recently had my intake manifold replaced due to a coolant leak, got the truck back and it was misfiring, and hesitating, took it back to the shop that did the work, turned out to be a loose wire to the TBS, might be a stab in the dark here, but check that. certainly made a difference in my truck.

Old 01-24-2011, 07:24 PM
Originally Posted by OptimusPrimeFx4
I just recently had my intake manifold replaced due to a coolant leak, got the truck back and it was misfiring, and hesitating, took it back to the shop that did the work, turned out to be a loose wire to the TBS, might be a stab in the dark here, but check that. certainly made a difference in my truck.
Glad to see you got your intake figured out

Quick Reply: 5.4L Misfire/Hesitation Issues