Old 04-13-2015, 02:22 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
5.4L Misfire

Misfiring can be caused be many issues. Fuel filters seem to be the leading cause. Find out what other issues your truck may have to be cause these problems

Helpful Advice
Print Wikipost

5.4L Misfire/Hesitation Issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2016, 02:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi I have a quick question myself, I'm working on a 2007 Ford e350 van with the 5.4, ran good for awhile, then all of u sudden I have tremendous power loss and chuggs going up any kind of incline what so ever, I have 3 misfire codes and one random misfire detected, I changed the fuel filter yesterday and black gas came out of it, I don't know if its a fuel pump issue or not, it's my work van and I need to get it figured out any help would be appreciated please and thank you

Old 02-12-2016, 04:52 PM
glc
Received 756 Likes on 702 Posts
Black gas? I'd drop the tank and get it flushed out. You got some bad gas.

Old 03-07-2016, 09:57 PM
Anyone?

I put in new plugs. 20 bucks a piece platinum plugs btw and it drove fine for 90 miles. Got home and put in new fuel filter. Drove 2 miles to a gas station and on the way back I thought it was gonna blow up it shook so hard. Now the miss don't seem like a full miss cause if I unplug an injector and coil it's barely idles. With everything plugged in it idles well it just misses underlay and you can feel it slightly while slowly accelerating unless your in overdrive then she shakes violently... starting to think this whole thing is in the computer programming because ford hates us... why else has no one figured this out? Why is there no answer? Can't it be everyone who has had this issue and asked for help on threads be selfish jerks and don't come back to simply put down an answer and help alot of people such as myself?!?!?! Well when I get mine fixed I will come back and I will have details.

Old 03-07-2016, 11:21 PM
glc
What year and engine? What brand plugs did you use? How many miles on the truck? Did you change the coil boots and use dielectric grease?

Old 03-08-2016, 03:28 PM
07 f150 misfire

So... with the misfire codes on cylinder 2 and no lean or rich banks thus was my solution. Bad plugs and cops three times in a row. I took back all the bad parts and made the parts stores eat them. They wanted to refuse me at first but I threw a **** show and they took them back. It's amazing how people who make 8 bucks an hour are so dedicated to the corporation that makes millions... anyhow after alot of spark plug pulling and installing that's what it came out to be... so if you ever have this shaking problem at 45 to 60 or misfiring it's your plugs and cops and even new ones out the box are crap. On the same cylinder three plugs and three cops all in a row were bad. What's the odds? so don't give up guys.

Old 03-08-2016, 03:30 PM
07 f150 misfire

Originally Posted by glc
What year and engine? What brand plugs did you use? How many miles on the truck? Did you change the coil boots and use dielectric grease?
07 f150 with the 5.4
Used the champion double platinum (never again)
Truck has 1108xx
Change the whole COP and greased everything! Lol

Old 03-08-2016, 03:49 PM
glc
Motorcraft SP-515 plugs and Motorcraft or Delphi cops - anything else is a crapshoot.

Old 06-21-2016, 11:45 AM
Originally Posted by rcantu
I cleaned the maf before and I made it worse. It could be the problem. I noticed these trucks are very finicky. look for any loose or corroded grounds.

I spent hours trying to figure out my truck and it definitely gets maddening
Mine was doing something similar and it was my mass flow air sensor connector had a short check by grabbing wires and twisting with truck running if bad should stumble or shut off

Old 08-06-2016, 03:16 PM
i have a similar problem here and am wondering about getting help

so my F150 has a hickup when its in overdrive and im trying to accelerate. it has put out a misfire code on cylinders 1 and 2 once, but has never done so again. it also has a few codes involving the O2 sensor. any idea what it may be or possibly where i should go to find out whats up with it?https://www.f150online.com/forums/im...lies/wavey.gif

Old 08-06-2016, 05:29 PM
I'm starting to think the OD downshift shudder is just a thing to get used to. I'm not willing to throw 15 spark plugs at it.

Old 08-12-2016, 02:28 PM
Been awhile but!!!!

2004 f 150. 5.4. New style
160000 k same issues as above real hard bucking under load at around 50 codes all over the map say my cat is screwd will this also cause a lot of misfiring. New plugs. Cops thanks in advance all motor craft prts.

Last edited by Brad Job; 08-12-2016 at 02:40 PM. Reason: More info
Old 08-18-2016, 10:18 AM
1998 E350 5.4 2v - 82K miles

Van was running great since I bought it last year. Took it through drive through carwash (cheap wash, NO undercarriage spray) and it started idling poorly before I go to the end of the wash. Ever since, it hesitates, bucks and vibrates under any load and I have to turn the OD off to go up even slight inclines on the highway.

There are no active or stored codes so no CEL.

I took it to a local shop on Monday and they told me I had multiple misfires showing on cyl #1, #5 and #8. They recommended new spark plugs all around and new cops on at least those 3 cylinders. They wanted $1600 to do this so I declined and ordered the Motorcraft parts and did the job myself yesterday. All 8 Motorcraft plugs and all 8 Motorcraft cops, with 100% silicone dielectric grease on the boots. Many of the old plugs were worn badly with gaps well over .060.

Before I left the driveway, I could tell it was still running the same with a rough idle. Test drove about 10 miles and parked it as it runs exactly the same as before I performed the work. Im stumped now. Fuel filter sounds easy (and cheap) enough to do, and it is still the original as far as I know...so I might try that just because.

I don't understand how this thing can run so poorly and the computer not show a single fault code.... Any help much appreciated!

Old 08-18-2016, 10:10 PM
Sometime you feel like a chump. Sometimes you don't.

Well, I cranked the van up this morning out of the need to go pick up a bunch of river rocks for some landscaping. I knew it would run poorly, but I also knew it would make the 10 mile round trip.

As soon as I cranked it up, what do you know... the CEL came on! I grabbed my reader and plugged it in and got a P0352 Ignition Coil B Primary/Secondary Circuit Malfunction. My first thought was that I might have a bad ground on the harness but immediately ripped off the doghouse and reached in before the engine had a chance to get hot. I unplugged the back 4 and all of them made the idle even worse when I did, so I knew they were good. I reached in blindly and somehow felt around and touched the #2 cop and realized that there was nothing plugged into it. I felt around and finally found the connector (as well as the breather hose out of the valve cover) and plugged it back in. Within about 5 seconds, the engine smoothed out and increased in rpm. I might have jumped out of my boots in excitement if I didn't have someone in the van with me. I remember plugging in the connectors right next to it, including the injector that I unplugged to gain clearance. Somehow I missed this one though.

Now, it runs great!

Moral of the story, don't work on things too late at night or when you are exhausted, frustrated and too anxious to finish a technical job.

I will still change out the fuel filter that I bought today, but likely not until this weekend if it stops raining.

Old 04-04-2017, 10:49 PM
Exclamation 06 f150 5.4 misfire/sluggish

I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place... I have a 06 f150 5.4 3v with 148xxx, I had a tune up done about 25xxx miles ago, plugs, boots, serpentine belt.. Well about 3 weeks ago my truck started running rough after a fill up I thought maybe it was some bad gas so I ran the fuel out got some fuel/injector treatment and put that in with some high octane fuel... That dident do the trick. Well I started pulling the coils off to check plugs all were finger loose except for one plug and one plug was broken at the tip so I bought new plugs motor craft sp515s installed them. Still no luck still rough running, Sluggish, shakey, while sitting still and under load (up hill) in over drive. I get the blinking cel but it doesn't stay on or throw a code. So I bought new coils (the yellow accels). Installed them. Still no luck. Any info would be helpful

Old 02-09-2019, 03:50 AM
Originally Posted by Bigwheel
ABSOLUTE FRUSTRATION!!! Guys I'm back to the drawing board on my truck. I've spoken to a couple of mechanics and got this blank stare from both. I've got one more to try Monday (guy I've known for years) and hope he has some idea. Everybody keeps telling me to change this and that but only because they don't have a clue what to do.

I did a vacuum test this morning and it was good and steady. Cannot for the life of me get this thing to throw any more codes. Cylinder misfires have been random (8 then 4 then 6). Due to the random nature I've ruled out fuel injector, cop or plug problem (when pulled each has been good). Fuel filter has been changed, MAF cleaned (again), PCV valve changed. Slightly rough at idle but when put in gear and driven with slight load misfires and hesitates so bad it will shake your fillings loose and still no code. Going up a hill is the roughest ride you can imagine. When there is no load it smooths out considerably.

I'm a shade tree mechanic at best but if a certified mechanic looks at me with a blank stare what the heck am I supposed to do? This truck ran absolutely great until it hit 138k miles. I know there has to be something I can do without throwing money at parts just for the heck of it.

Sorry for venting...
Hey bro I forgot,the codes,my,truck,was,throwing,but,it ended up,,being clogged,cats

Quick Reply: 5.4L Misfire/Hesitation Issues