Does no ac belt tensioner use same bolt holes ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2009, 10:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does no ac belt tensioner use same bolt holes ?

Has anyone actually tried swapping a no a/c belt tensioner on a 5.4 with a/c?

I have seen it talked about here but haven't seen anyone say they actually did this.
Does it mount in the stock holes and does it clear any plumbing and the a/c compressor?

I want to temporarily delete the a/c as the pully froze and while trying to get it off, I barely touched the ac lines which are corroded with a ratchet and they started leaking.
I was too lazy to take the skid plate off to get at it from below so I went through the wheel well.

Corrosion really eats these trucks underneath as I already replaced a starter, brake lines and a fuel filter from corrosion.

Old 03-17-2009, 10:41 PM
They make anA/C delete pulley... Look at rockauto.com and you will find it.

Last edited by KEITHHATTER; 03-18-2009 at 09:19 AM.
Old 03-17-2009, 10:41 PM
I beleive the non a/c idler and the a/c idler have an opposite swing, but also if I recall they bolt up the same. You can't use the non a/c idler on an engine with a/c however.

Old 03-17-2009, 11:04 PM
Originally Posted by corvet3640
I beleive the non a/c idler and the a/c idler have an opposite swing, but also if I recall they bolt up the same. You can't use the non a/c idler on an engine with a/c however.

It's a belt tensioner and I realize they have an opposite swing but according to quite a few posts here, it supposedly works if you change to the non a/c belt.

Not interested in taking the compressor off to add the A/C delete pulley.

I am interested to hear from someone who actually may have done this.

Old 03-18-2009, 04:55 PM
are you trying to eliminate the a/c?
If so I'm pretty sure the non a/c belt/tensioner would interfere with the a/c clutch. check the little diagram on the sticker under the hood fdor belt routing, it should give an idea of how the two differ.

Old 12-26-2010, 04:37 PM
I know this is an old thread but I am doing the same thing right now...2000 5.4l had AC and I am removing it, the tensioner looks like it has two options (grooves that determine where the pulley will sit and limit its travel) it looks to me like ford uses the same pulley for AC or no AC and it just determines which slot the tensioner arm sits in...I am really hoping there is a way to switch it and not have to go buy a new tensioner.

Quick Reply: Does no ac belt tensioner use same bolt holes ?