05' Efan install questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2010, 06:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05' Efan install questions

Hey ya'll - I got my flex-a-lite efan on the way, and am wondering if someone would help explain the wiring a little better to me. I don't tow often (basically when i'm or somebody else is moving); and I do live in the wonderful muggy south.

1) What colors are the positive and negative wires for the AC clutch? I'm sure this is gonna be the thing that ends up taking 3 hours to get right, and I would love to get a solid answer before i start.

2) Is there any reason I shouldn't wire the ignition positive straight to the battery? I assume the only issue with this could be the fan running with the engine off, but thats what the yellow top is for right?

3) My truck runs between 192-196 in normal operation (as per my gryphon), From reading the troyer efan **** they explain that 195 is the best way to set it because it ensures a 205-210 operating temp for the coolant in the engine. Would i be better sticking to 195 or could i push it up to 200?

Thanks for the help

Old 12-27-2010, 08:35 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
are you talking about the controller? if so, you will get complete directions with the kit as far as where all the wiring goes. i installed the flex-a-lite controller (31165) on my '04 and it took me about 1 1/2 hours. you only need to hook to the ac positive wire, not both, and the ignition wire MUST be hooked to a switched source. both of these wires are located in the wiring at the pcm. again, you will get instructions as to the color of these wires. i do know that there is a solid red wire for the ignition source, not sure about the ac positive, i don't have the instructions in front of me. as far as the temp., i have mine set for 205 degrees to run at 100%, anytime the ac is running, it will only run at 60% unless it is 205 degrees, and it is factory set to run the fans approxiamtely 30 seconds after the ignition is turned off. hope this helps, and if you need further help.....let me know. and also, i soldered ALL the wiring as i definetly didn't want anything to come loose.

Old 12-27-2010, 10:46 AM
yeah i'm tracking i only need to splice in to one of the two wires, i'm just trying to figure out what color code the wires for the AC clutch are on the actual truck not the flex a lite color(i think green) or which terminal i need to put it in. When I start to try to splice into them, i can just pick whichever one will be easier to get a good connection. If you could shoot me a picture of where you spliced in that would be amazing.

So you have it set at 205? Thats what I was leaning towards, and think it might be the way to go. How has your mileage improved on your truck? Any more power in the lower RPM band?

Thanks

Old 12-27-2010, 11:50 AM
i went out and just checked the truck, the positive wire for the ac is a gray wire with a yellow stripe and the ignition is a solid red. on my pcm by the battery, there are 3 connections that go to it. in front of the middle one, there is a square connector that has these wires in it, this is where i tapped into. this square connector IS NOT connected to the pcm at all.
yes, it's set at 205 which will make the fans run at 100%. with this cold weather here, there have only been a few times, if any, it has run at 100%.
the fuel mileage on the truck went from 13 to almost 16 on my last trip. i can definetly tell that it has more power when i'm taking off and in the lower rpm's. even some of the same hills i travel everyday, the tranny doesn't shift as much.
i have some pics in my albums for the efan install, but you can't see which wires i connected to, but you can see where the wiring harness is. hope this helps

Old 12-27-2010, 02:01 PM
that was exactly what I needed to know. your my hero... haha

Old 12-27-2010, 02:16 PM
glad i could help another F150 owner....lol

Quick Reply: 05' Efan install questions