4.6 to 5.4 swap-Vacuum lines

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2010, 09:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4.6 to 5.4 swap-Vacuum lines

Im hoping somebody can offer a little input on my issue. I've recently swapped out my 4.6, for a 5.4, and am nearing the end. Im not fully confident that I have all vacuum lines hooked up correctly, so i would like to post how i have it all connected, and if anybody could confirm or deny if this is the proper combination, please feel free to post and let me know.

Background:1998 f150 XL supercab, 5 speed manual, 4.6 Triton, coil ignition. Replacement engine- 2001 5.4 Triton, COP ignition, automatic. Both trucks had AC, and i believe the donor truck had 4x4, mine does as well. So far the swap has gone well, with the exception of a few minor hookups.

Vacuum combination:

4 vacuum lines running from the passenger side of engine bay:
Large line--top of throttle body
Green line--EGR canister
White line--Black canister on firewall
Red line--Fuel rail

2 exits on rear of throttle body:
Bottom inlet--Brake booster
Top inlet--Green inlet on black canister on firewall

Drivers side valve cover--air intake piping

Large inlet on rear of throttle body--black box on air intake piping?(I havent hooked this up yet, i dont have the piping installed yet so i just have this one plugged off)

Passenger side valve cover--2 lines, both running to inlets on passenger side of throttle body.

Please if anybody has any input, am i on the right track, or totally off the wall?

Old 12-19-2010, 12:52 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by 79rocket
Im hoping somebody can offer a little input on my issue. I've recently swapped out my 4.6, for a 5.4, and am nearing the end. Im not fully confident that I have all vacuum lines hooked up correctly, so i would like to post how i have it all connected, and if anybody could confirm or deny if this is the proper combination, please feel free to post and let me know.

Background:1998 f150 XL supercab, 5 speed manual, 4.6 Triton, coil ignition. Replacement engine- 2001 5.4 Triton, COP ignition, automatic. Both trucks had AC, and i believe the donor truck had 4x4, mine does as well. So far the swap has gone well, with the exception of a few minor hookups.

Vacuum combination:

4 vacuum lines running from the passenger side of engine bay:
Large line--top of throttle body
Green line--EGR canister
White line--Black canister on firewall
Red line--Fuel rail

2 exits on rear of throttle body:
Bottom inlet--Brake booster
Top inlet--Green inlet on black canister on firewall

Drivers side valve cover--air intake piping

Large inlet on rear of throttle body--black box on air intake piping?(I havent hooked this up yet, i dont have the piping installed yet so i just have this one plugged off)

Passenger side valve cover--2 lines, both running to inlets on passenger side of throttle body.

Please if anybody has any input, am i on the right track, or totally off the wall?
I take it you have the doners PCM and/or, have been working with a tuner ..? If not, she's not going ti fire without the correct coil drivers.

You should set your vac/emission hoses/ PCV system as they were on the 01 5four for 2001. If you were without the 5fours emissions vac harness, you should really purchase a new one. The 98 4six main lines, wined around to the drivers side. The 01 5fours main lines plug into the passenger side.

Canisters on the firewall ended pre-97. Evap and EGR, so, Im not sure if your just chuckin parts at it and hoping for the best. Or trying to test everyone here..( ?)

Old 12-19-2010, 08:33 AM
Sorry i should have offered more information. Engine is in and running, i just want to be sure all vacuum lines are hooked up correctly. The black canister im referring to is mounted on the firewall on the drivers side, further to the outside edge than the clutch reservoir, and is made from plastic. I used the wiring harness from the 4.6, as well as the coil pack ignition. Main lines are plugged in on drivers side (Im assuming you're talking about the green/white/red lines).

Old 12-19-2010, 10:42 AM

That's impossible.

Old 12-19-2010, 10:53 AM

This is not my engine bay, this is just a picture i pulled off the net. Canister i speak of is circled in red. I'm not exactly sure what is impossible that your speaking of. PCM is the trucks stock one, if you want i can take pictures and post them this evening to clarify.

Old 12-19-2010, 10:55 AM

That's your EVAP purge solenoid on the firewall/ (white 1/8") / Black EVAP- To Top of TB elbow.

The other is the EVR (green) for the EGR valve. I believe that's some of what your talking about.

Old 12-19-2010, 11:02 AM

I have some shots here, - in this album -

https://www.f150online.com/forums/me...albums-tb.html

I have others as well, about 500 pics on site. Your welcome to look thru them. Most are of a 98 5.4.

Old 12-19-2010, 11:26 AM

This is a pic of a 01 5.4L -

Green circle is the Brake Booster in this pic.

Red is the main Vac lines connect for the 01 5.4L Black,Red, White. The 01 TB elbow is Different from your 4.6. You don't say which your using, - I guess your using the old 4six elbow ?

Yellow is EVAP.

The EVR solenoid is pictured, but you can't see the connections. Green line on top/ White on bottom.

Last edited by jbrew; 12-19-2010 at 11:39 AM.
Old 12-19-2010, 09:41 PM
Thanks very much for the pics. I wasn't able to see, but can you tell me where the two lines running out of the passenger side valve cover run, as well as the large inlet on the rear of the throttle body. I used the throttle body that came with the 5.4.

Old 12-19-2010, 11:10 PM
Thats the pcv system. Runs from the pass pcv valve on the valve cover to the back of the throttle body where it 90's.

Name:  l.jpg
Views: 48637
Size:  89.3 KB

Last edited by Toyz; 12-19-2010 at 11:17 PM.
Old 12-21-2010, 01:24 AM

Yea, don't run the black box , - that's a 4six thing. The 5four would most likely turn it inside out lol.

Anyway, - that's an IAC horn and yes you need one IMO. The 5fours is round and flows more air. Have you noticed the EGR valve being allot larger? Yea , there's a reason. Damn, -did you purchase the new engine in pieces ? Just curious why you seem sorta lost.. (?) Have you taken any photo's ? I 'm just sayin because when you post photos of what your working on, - you'll receive allot more help..

Old 12-21-2010, 10:22 PM
problem solved-I missed the vacuum inlet on the rear of the manifold, and thought the PCV ran to the inlet for the IAC, thinking it was a vacuum inlet. thats why this fool thing wouldnt idle! once i hooked up to that vacuum, and cut some fresh line for the IAC, she purred like a kitten. Now if only i could get my alternator to charge

Old 12-22-2010, 12:24 AM

problem solved-I missed the vacuum inlet on the rear of the manifold, and thought the PCV ran to the inlet for the IAC, thinking it was a vacuum inlet. thats why this fool thing wouldnt idle! once i hooked up to that vacuum, and cut some fresh line for the IAC, she purred like a kitten. Now if only i could get my alternator to charge
Pull the brushes, - they can get kicked up and lodge in their holders if the alts been on vaca for awhile. It's worth a shot.

Most likely a ground tho, - that's if the alt was doing it's job before stating this project.

Never bolt up an alternator to a rusty block. Wire wheel the block where the Alternator wil in contact with. Thats' probably what you did

Old 12-22-2010, 03:28 PM
Sounds like you had a lot of vac issues.. When I did mine I think I used pieces from both motors.... The only thing I had issues with was the length of the IAC tube, but an auto parts store can fix that for a couple bucks with some new hose

Old 12-22-2010, 08:50 PM
Yeah i just used some 1/2'' heater hose for the IAC intake, worked like a dream. Solved the alternator problem, turned out it was just a short in the wire running to it from the ignition. Had the exhaust hooked up today, had the cats removed at the same time, pops up an O2 sensor code now but i will have the rear sensors eliminated when i get a tune. Everything is working good now, except I have a miss @ lower RPM's when under load, seems more predominant in the lower gears. Tested the resistance on the wire, seems good. Gas in the truck is probably a month old so im going to burn that off, run some injector cleaner through too, put a couple miles on it. Will also test the fuel pressure as well, now that everything is running properly, seemed low before.

Quick Reply: 4.6 to 5.4 swap-Vacuum lines