97 timing problem after installing new head

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2010, 08:33 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
97 timing problem after installing new head

I have a 1997 F150 4.6W with 150+miles on it. The truck is currently in the shop for broken exhaust manifold bolts on the passengers side. The Technician was unable to drill and easy out the stud which in turn he ended up removing the head. He damaged the head to the point i needed to replace it with a new one. The truck was put back together with no leaks reported but the truck is running rough. Today marks three weeks in the shop and they need to remove the covers and manifold again to set the timing.

I don't think they know what they are doing with the timing.

Can any one give advice or step by step procedure on installing timing chains for engine timing? Obviously the Tech did not mark the chain and sprocket with a paint marker or something before removing the chain to have a reference point when re-installing the parts.

I am a proud F150 owner and love the truck, but I feel my truck will not be the same after this work is completed. I lost confidence in the expertise of the Tech. and will consider to sell truck after I get it back before something major happens.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Thank You

Old 12-07-2010, 01:57 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Click on the Technical Articles button at the top of the site. Go down to Engines, its the last article under Engines. "Timing Procedure for 1997-2003 Modular Engines".
The problem I see with yours now is that if they did time it wrong the valves will almost surely be bent. Before they remove the cyl head have them perform a leakdown test. This way you will know if the valves are damaged (almost certain they will be) and the damaged valves can be replaced when the head comes off. The best thing to do is remove both chains and retime everything together, Its not hard to do and following this timing method no special tools/clamps are required. Make sure the piston domes are not severely damaged or cracked as well. Good luck.

Last edited by DYNOTECH; 12-07-2010 at 02:01 PM.
Old 12-08-2010, 03:49 PM
DYNOTECH

The shop finished the job. He removed the intake and rechecked the timing marks and put everything back together. He stated when he started oil pressure buit up the the truck ran fine. He can not tell me what he did wrong the first time which worked the second time he checked it. The truck did have codes stored when I picked it up and checked.
1) EGR Flow insufficient
2) System too lean Bank 1 and 2.

Since I picked up the truck. The truck seems to run fine. Strong and good power. No missing and no check engine light.

Do I still need to be worried about possible bent valves?

Thanx

Old 12-08-2010, 05:10 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I doubt it. A bent valve(s) would be pretty evident.

Old 12-08-2010, 05:34 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Windsor is right if the valves are bent then you would experience the same drivability issues you were having. I don't think they had it out of time by much if there was no valve damage. You can be out one tooth and not bend a valve but more than that and its fairly certain to cause damage. The previous discription of the problem sounded like everyone was pretty certain that it was out of time. Could have been other issues causing the problems. Glad to hear its running good. You got lucky

Old 12-09-2010, 05:48 PM
Dynotech and Windsor,

I appreciate your responses and great advice. I have my confidence back in the truck while driving it knowing the valves are ok and this was not a ticking time bomb ready to explode while driving.

Great online site and thank you again!

Cheers with beers

Quick Reply: 97 timing problem after installing new head