'98 4.6 Windsor Head removal tools

Old 12-27-2010, 09:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'98 4.6 Windsor Head removal tools

My old 4.6 locked up on me so I found one out of a van on craigslist for $500. I was swapping over all the parts and had everything ready to go into the truck except for the exhaust manifolds and then one I repeat one exhaust stud broke off in each head on the new engine. I tried everything to get them out and broke 3 screw extractors in the process. Now I'm pulling the heads and taking them to the machine shop to have them drilled out and re-tapped. The Haynes manual says I need the crankshaft positioning tool and the camshaft holding tools to pull the timing chains. I've read a couple places online that these are unnecessary and you can pull the timing chains off without locking either in place but I've also head that this can damage the valves with the springs being under pressure. Anybody done this without the tools or found an alternative way to lock the cams without the tools? Thanks.

Old 12-27-2010, 11:00 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
This on this site under Technical Articles Index / engine explains the process without using clamps good luck.

https://www.f150online.com/forums/ar...r-engines.html

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: '98 4.6 Windsor Head removal tools