5W20 vs 5w30

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2010, 10:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5W20 vs 5w30

Hey, I have a 2006 with a 5.4. I usually have a hard problem finding 5W20 synthetic, well 7L of it at a time anyway, was wondering if I could switch to 5W30. I don't know a whole lot about the different types of oil. I live in Northern Alberta where it can get extremly cold in the winter. Would there be any problems switching, I've been using 5w20 synthetic for 2 years now.

Old 10-29-2010, 11:17 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Several reasons not to switch and not any to switch. 5W20 is the oil your truck calls for and 5W20 is the better choice for where you live. No reason to swap after 2 years. If you can't find it in the store, then mail order it...Amsoil comes to mind. I'll becha you mail/internet order things all the time...why not oil???

Old 10-30-2010, 02:01 AM
glc
Received 757 Likes on 702 Posts
In northern Alberta, I'd use a full synthetic 0W-20 or 0W-30. Amsoil has both, and it's not cheap.

Old 10-30-2010, 11:37 AM
I'll have a look online. It's 3 years since I've been using it, started using the synthetic when I bought the truck. It's easy to find in regular oil and synthetic blend, just hard to find here in full synthetic. I use to take it to a shop to have done then I moved back east for a bit, it was easy to get there, when I came back to Alberta the shop changed their oil brand so I decided to start changing it myself. I read a few forms where people are changing to 5w30 in their cars so I though I would ask on here.

Last edited by caper28; 10-30-2010 at 11:39 AM.
Old 10-30-2010, 12:44 PM
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
No Wal*Mart where you live? Auto parts store doesn't carry it?

amazon.com will have what you need.

Old 10-30-2010, 12:45 PM
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
I think that 0W20 would be a better option for the cold Canadian winter.

Old 10-30-2010, 02:09 PM
Walmart was the only place to get it back east, here they only seem to have 3 or 4 qts in when I go there and it takes for ever for them to get more in stock. I tried buying 4 qts and wait until they get more in stock. I've never seen 0w30 anywhere here, would be almost imposible to get unless I was going to the city or ordered it.

Old 10-30-2010, 02:48 PM
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
Caper, do not assume that because an oil is a synthetic that is provides better flow at cold temps. Years ago that was a true statement but those days are gone. Also, do not assume that a 0w oil has better cold flow properties than a 5w- oil, you'd be wrong. Any oil you are considering, look on the makers website and look for the cold start properties. Not all are created equal in that specification. You'll also find that the blends will give you much lower wear metals in winter environments than a synthetic. And if wear metals are important to you, avoid Mobil One. Their EP version is miles ahead if you are a Mobil fan but it only provides for extended oil changes, not lower wear metals versus a Ford approved blend.

Old 10-30-2010, 03:24 PM
0w30

Hi Caper.
Good to see another member from Northern Alberta.(I'm in Grande Prairie). Personally I use XD3 0w30 in my 1999 5.4. It is full synthetic and gas/diesel rated. It is a very stout oil and readily available at the local Esso Bulk dealer. I'm not sure if you have one in Fox Creek but any Shell Rotella T6 would be rated the same. I have seen much heavy equipment run for thousand of hours on XD3. Automotive ratings are different but these oils are rated for both. I can`t remember what I paid last time but I think it was between $6-$7 per litre when I bought a case of 4x4 (4-4 litre jugs).

Last edited by gp guy; 10-30-2010 at 03:36 PM.
Old 10-30-2010, 10:12 PM
Thanks for the info labnerd, like I said I don't know a whole lot about oil, will take a look at some manuf. sites. I've been using penzoil for 3 years. I was told once I go synthetic not to switch. Can I switch to blended without causing any problems, Blended is easyer to find. The reason I don't take my truck the the shop I use to is because they switched from penzoil to mobil 1.

gp guy, I'm in Fox Creek, lol. No Esso bulk here, just a Petro bulk, Petro carries Castrol I believe, the last time I picked it up for the work truck.

Old 10-31-2010, 12:05 AM
Might look around, there is supposed to be a Chevron distributor in your area. Their Chevron Supreme is top shelf and it's available in Canada in 5w-20. Cold pour point is -36F, cold crank is -30F so unless it gets a lot colder than that, it should do the trick for you. You can switch back and forth, the dino or synthetic oils. Most all of the synthetics on the shelves will be a dino synthetic which means it has gone thru a little more processing than a normal dino. The Gp III dino synthetics are a liquid and gas to liquid technology which was standardized via Chevron with their Iso-Syn process. The rest of the industry has pretty much followed Chevrons lead in this area. A very good oil that most never consider.

Old 10-31-2010, 12:22 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Labnerd
Also, do not assume that a 0w oil has better cold flow properties than a 5w- oil, you'd be wrong.
Hey Labnerd...can you expand on this one when you can?

And not to hijack, but since we're kinda touching on cold weather and oil...when is it time to think about using some type of oil heater?? I found a company that makes those electric pads that stick to the oil pan to keep or pre-warm the oil...what temps would you start thinking about getting something like that?

Old 10-31-2010, 12:07 PM
Jeez Galaxy, there's books written on this subject but I'll try to explain it in an abbreviated form and since you already have a clue about oils....When you see an oil that is rated as a 5w-20 oil, that's the SAE version of the viscosity. As you know, it covers a fairly wide range of the oils actual viscosity. At temp, this means the oil can be any where from 5.60 to 9.29 on the Kinematic scale. The Kinematic scale is a representation of the fluids actual viscosity declared in centistokes (cSt). The viscosity of water in centistokes is just a hair above 1.0038 as I remember. So the actual viscosity is in centistokes. Because of the add packs we use to formulate a modern oil, you'll have differences in the actual viscosity especially at cold temps. Not all polymers are created equal so they react differently as well as Pour Point Depressants at cold temps. There is a test called a Cold Start Simulator or as you'll see in an oils specs, CSS. That's the actual viscosity represented in centipoise, a fluids resistance to another fluid or itself, at cold start up. The less the centipoise, the better the oil flows at cold temps. So it's feasible and actual to have 5w-20 oil with better cold flow characteristics than a 0w-20 oil due to the formulation and the additives used.

So, did I lose you or did you understand it? Like I said, there are books written about formulations and cold start properties. But the SAE ratings of an oil can be a little misleading. So if you have severe cold start conditions, check out the CSS rating and let that be your guide.

As far as an oil heater, there is no real rule of thumb. Down here it never gets cold. Cold like some of you see. There are years here we never see freezing temps. If you are considering an oil heater and the temps fall below 32F commonly, I'd be looking for one. It one thing that the oil can actually be pumped thru the system. It's another that the oil can be sprayed with any kind of equal pattern at the rings. The warmer the oil at cold startup the better. If you are starting an engine and it sounds like it's laboring at cold startup, the oil is too thick and you need an oil warmer.

I'm not necessarily happy with the above response but I hope you get the idea. I guess it's the day after a Saturday night of celebrating a Rangers win in the World Series. I think I'm gonna check my birth certificate for an expiration date.

Old 10-31-2010, 12:30 PM
Originally Posted by caper28
Hey, I have a 2006 with a 5.4. I usually have a hard problem finding 5W20 synthetic, well 7L of it at a time anyway, was wondering if I could switch to 5W30. I don't know a whole lot about the different types of oil. I live in Northern Alberta where it can get extremly cold in the winter. Would there be any problems switching, I've been using 5w20 synthetic for 2 years now.
I drive up north all the time. I wouldnt go to 5w30 because of the cold, if anything I would go to 0w20. Mobil1 at crappy tire and also I think Pennzoil makes one too. The upper number is once the oil is at operating temp, so you may need to block the grill to keep temps up. However the lower number is the cold starting value. If you put in a 0 weight it will flow better when it is cold but stay the same viscosity when the engine is up to temp.

We have variable cams that are run on oil pressure, if you change the weight I am not 100% sure what would happen with your cam phasors and cam adjustment.

If you cant find it at a backwoods crappy tire or any walmart (havent been to foxcreek) I would go into whitecourt.

Last edited by the_cosworth; 10-31-2010 at 06:53 PM.
Old 10-31-2010, 03:00 PM
I'm startin to understand now, thanks guys. I've never had a problem starting the truck in the cold with the 5 20, even in 50 bellow temps wich we get here for a week or 2 in the winter. I'll have a look for some 0 wieght this week. I was just trying to find an oil more available.

Thanks for mentioning the oil heater, I may have a look for one.

Quick Reply: 5W20 vs 5w30