comments on green and orange antifreeze

Old 12-27-2000, 05:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post comments on green and orange antifreeze

I recently changed my coolant for the first time @ 45,000 mi in a 98 F150 that came with green coolant. I flushed it with Prestone flush, drained, repeated, then added 3 gallons of Prestone orange coolant for final 60% concentration. Then I worried I had used the wrong stuff, so I read all the pertinent posts on this message board. From the posts I concluded that nobody really knows for 100% certain whether to use green or orange but to stick with original color to be on the safe side. Then I searched Internet and read a bunch of stuff, some technical, about coolant. It appears that green and orange are both 96% by weight ethylene glycol, 2% water and 2% rust inhibitors (inhibitors added to some water to aid mixing in the glycol). The inhibitors (and dye) are the difference between green and orange. The orange inhibitor supposed lasts longer so you don't have to change coolant as often. The glycol never wears out as far as lowering the freeze point and raising the boil point goes. Also the stuff is always slippery. I've taken some out of industrial equipment that has run 99.95%, 24/7 for five years. It still comes out green and slick.

I emailed Prestone: "Chemically, what's the difference between the green and orange antifreeze? How do you extend the life? Can you please give some technical details here (I have a ChemEng degree so i might understand it). Ford specifies you replace green with green and orange with orange
antifreeze, and never switch 'em. They don't seem to know why though. I'd like to know because I just did a full coolant swap to the orange and my F150 came with green. Help me please.... I really don't wanna do that again if its not necessary."

Here's Prestone's answer: "The green is the regular antifreeze with a silicone-silicate based rust inhibitor. The organic contains an OAT (organic acid technology) type
rust inhibitor. The inhibitor is what differs between the two. They both use
ethylene glycol for freeze and boil protection. Both antifreezes are compatible with ANY cooling system. As for mixing the two, we don't recommend it because it will reduce the stability of the rust inhibitor. It is best to stick with what was in the
system prior.

I also asked three Ford dealerships these questions. One said "stick with original color", second one said "we're not sure", third said "it's all the same crap" (their words).

The final specific gravity and pH of the green and orange coolant solutions at same concentration is nearly identical. BTW pH of both is ~8.5, so don't think that OAT inhibitor in orange translates to "acidic".

Since neither 3 Ford dealerships nor Prestone are willing to make the 100% committment here, I am going to graciously conduct an experiment for the good of F150 owners and leave the orange coolant in my truck. I'll let you know if the radiator cruds up (it will anyway eventually) or the water pump falls off.

Gee I think I could have changed it back to green in less time than it took me to research and submit this post.......

Old 12-27-2000, 06:00 PM
JDF
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool

My owners manual says specifically not to use the orange extended formula. My warranty is important to me and antifreeze is cheap.
On other vehicles, I have left in the green stuff five years anyway. If you test it with litmus paper and it is not acidic, the rust inhibitor is still at work. I also test for alkalinity to be sure the ph is still neutral.

------------------
2001 F150 XLT SC SPORT 4X4 FLARESIDE
* Black
* Auto
* awesome factory 10 spoke 17" wheels
* "MAN"ual shift 4x4
* 3.55 Limited slip
* Captains chairs W/console
* Factory tube steps
* Slider

Old 12-28-2000, 03:55 PM
Exclamation

I have seen first hand that the orange anti-freeze isnt any better than the green. I had a GMC Jimmy (company truck) with the V-6 Vortech engine, and it came with the orange, and it also said it would go 100,000 miles or 5 years, without a flush or change of coolant. The engine overheated about when the vehicle was 2 1/2 years old, causing a cracked manifold and coolant leaking and mixing with the oil.

I think GM uses the orange in all their vortech systems, but I am not sure. Any claims that the orange is somehow better than the green, I think are false.

I dont know of any fords that come with or recommend the orange.

I do think you would be better off changing it to what factory warranty specifies.

Good Luck, and Happy New Year!

------------------
White 2000 XLT Flareside 4X2 Supercab, 5.4L Triton V-8, Automatic-3.55 LS, Class III Tow Package, Duraliner, White gauge faceplate, Alpine 60w x 4 CDA-7863.
Superchip
FUTURE MODS:
-K&N FIPK
-2001 Lightning wheels?
-Lightning front bumper cover, & foglights
-MTX Thunderforms for S/C
-Upgraded speakers in doors
-amplifier
-2" drop, front & rear
(I think that is a good start)

Old 12-28-2000, 05:35 PM
I must be missing something??? My Harley truck owner's manual says that the vehicle is filled with a 50/50 mixture of distilled water and G05 antifreeze YELLOW! (Ford Spec WSS-M97B51-A1) It also says in bold print not to use Ford Extended Life coolant -- Orange, or any other type of antifreeze and goes on to list all the types not to use.

Is this 5.4L different than the rest?

------------------
'00 F-150 Harley-Davidson Edition
Hard Tonneau Cover
Superchip
K&N FIPK
Hidden Hitch w/Harley Logo
Peronalized Plate: F150 HD
'99 FLHRCI '95 XLH

Old 12-29-2000, 12:06 AM
Red face

Seeker,

Stick with the green stuff. It is what ford specs and I don't think that prestone would give out "all" the important information on the product. It also tastes better than the orange stuff.

-Tills

------------------
2001 F-150XLT SuperCab, Silver, 4X4, AOD, 5.4L, 3.55LS, 17in Rubber, Sport Package, Bedliner, Sliding Rear Window and A partridge in a pear tree...

Old 12-31-2000, 05:38 PM
Question

I work in a truck shop. I recently watched a video promoting the new extended life coolants. While the formulations for the big diesels are somewhat different, the premise is the same. Their "claim" is that the new formulations will not gel over an extended period and that the removal of silicates removes abrasives that shorten the lfe of moving parts, such as water pumps. I recently replace the coolant in my 5.8 windsor with the extended life Prestone and I am not impressed. I'm not sure if it is cause or coincidence but my engine runs decidedly hotter with a 50/50 mix of the orange than with the green. I do believe that the Prestone meets Fords specs though.
I will be switching back to the green come spring.

Old 12-31-2000, 07:20 PM
Thumbs down

Do not use the orange coolant! It is a synthetic coolant with high acidic properties to help prevent rust build up and extend the life of the coolant. ONLY General Motors Veichles have the proper type of seals in its system to handle the acidic properties. The orange synthetic coolant will desolve the seals in a Fords coolant system, so it is highly recommended to use the green conventional base coolant in Ford systems. So if anyone has changed to the orange coolant, GET IT OUT! Not to mention if something does happen after you changed to the orange coolant Ford will not honor the warranty on the coolant system.

[This message has been edited by f150freak (edited 12-31-2000).]

Old 12-31-2000, 08:32 PM
f150freak - Please read my post again, and check your facts - there are enough rumors in the world without you adding to them. Let's try to get to the truth in these message boards for everyone's benefit. You should know that:

1. all coolants are synthetic - they don't dip this stuff out of springs in Iceland and bottle it - its all man-made. ie synthetic

2. both green and orange coolants have pH of approx 8.5 @ 60% concentration, which means the solution is neutral to slightly alkaline, NOT acidic - i tested this with a calibrated pH meter to be certain - you can too, go buy some litmus paper and confirm

3. orange coolant won't dissolve "seals(?)" - do you really think Prestone (or any other coolant manufacturer) wants to buy thousands of engines ? its chemically so close to the green that you'd need a mass spectrograph to tell the difference (although 12-year-olds will point out that one is green and one is orange).

4. iron rusts faster in acidic solution (ever heard of someone putting acid on something to keep it from rusting?) - coolant manufacturers know this, thats why coolant solution is alkaline (ie NOT acidic) and is buffered to stay this way for an extended period

5. i don't know for sure, but i'd bet there's hardly any significant difference in the wetted materials in the cooling system of a ford or gm vehicle as far as corrosion goes

6. my truck hasn't been under warranty for some time now.

Old 12-31-2000, 09:00 PM
How long have you worked in the auto industry? I have worked on automobiles for 9 years now and I have very extensive knolodge on Ford and General Motors. Beside what do you think Organic "Acid" Technology is? Acidic properties that are much more corosive than conventional coolant. That is why it last for 150,000 miles insted of the 30-50,000 miles and why it is said to prevent rust in your cooling system. Also your "OAT" coolant will do quite a bit of harm to the seals in your cooling system beacuse of the Organic "Acid" Technology. Ya know it kind of makes sense when you think about it.

Old 12-31-2000, 09:44 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I would stay with the green its been around longer and thats what came in my truck anyway.

------------------
2000 F150 XLT Reg. cab
4.6 Triton Engine
4x2 3.55 rear end gear
sliding rear window
automatic keyless entry
white styleside short box

Old 01-01-2001, 02:09 AM
Talking

HELLO and help!!!

I still would like some advice from the experts -- what the heck is this YELLOW coolant referenced in my above message. And, how come my manual for my '00 HD edition says not to use anything else? Who sells yellow? Can I use green or orange? I have a lot of both out in the barn.

Thanks!!!

------------------
'00 F-150 Harley-Davidson Edition
Hard Tonneau Cover
Superchip
K&N FIPK
Hidden Hitch w/Harley Logo
Peronalized Plate: F150 HD
'99 FLHRCI '95 XLH

Old 01-01-2001, 03:13 AM
don't you get yellow if you mix orange and green? hehe

Old 01-01-2001, 10:31 AM
I got purple coolent

Old 01-01-2001, 11:59 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by HarleyGuy:
HELLO and help!!!

I still would like some advice from the experts -- what the heck is this YELLOW coolant referenced in my above message. And, how come my manual for my '00 HD edition says not to use anything else? Who sells yellow? Can I use green or orange? I have a lot of both out in the barn.
</font>
I'm sure not an expert, but I believe that YELLOW & GREEN are the same "formula", different dyes. Is your coolant really yellow, or does the owner's manual state yellow? Could be a slightly color-blind author.

Old 01-01-2001, 04:40 PM
I just recently changed the coolant on my truck and was told by a very good mechanic friend of mine that I had to drain the coolant from the block to even think about adding the orange coolant, and even then he didn't recommend it. Well I couldn't find the drain plug and drained the radiator and pulled the bottom hose on the radiator to get as much as I could out of the system. I refilled the system with green coolant and all is well. The dealer wanted 81 bucks to do this. I had 18 dollars in coolant and 2 hours in my driveway and I was done.

MaineF250

------------------
97' F250LD, 4x4,4.6l V8 Romeo, auto,Plow Package, heavy duty cooling package, DeeZee running and bed boards, Prime design BugFlector

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: comments on green and orange antifreeze